Turkcell or Telsim?

Advice on using Mobile Phones within the TRNC: SIM Cards, Repairs, cheap calls to UK...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Butterflyaway
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Turkcell or Telsim?

•   Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Butterflyaway »

My wife and I from the week we arrived have been loyal customers of Turkcell. We pay on average 260 TRY per month for our calls, sms and data. Plus the monthly cost of one new phone, which doubles the amount to over 500 TRY. Both of us have contracts and the invoices are paid on time every month by direct debit. There has never been a problem with the invoices or payments in the 14+ years we have lived here.

Their English version of their website advertises many phones that can be paid for over 12, 24 or 36 months.

We have always bought our phones this way.

Today I wanted a new phone. The call center advised me to go into a store and they would help. I rang the store and they said come in and we will help. I even asked if the model I wanted was in stock, they said yes! They knew I was British as I cannot speak Turkish.

When I arrived they said as I am not a citizen, I cannot pay monthly. Followed by the Cyprus Shrug!

Their Company policy has changed and rather than keeping a 14 year customer, they cannot/will not change policy.

Telsim were similar, but said, once you have been with us for twelve months you can pay for your handset over 12, 24 or 36 months.

It is sad that foreigners are all treated the same. I am sure many foreigners have left the country with Turkcell handsets before their contract has ended. I am sure some of these foreigners were British.

Any business that can afford to lose customers must be doing very well. I don’t have to leave, but I am.

So, as many friends have been suggesting, swap to Telsim, keep your number and be part of one of the worlds largest networks, Vodaphone.

Also, this next benefit applies to those that live around Alsancak, they have a branch very near my house!

Telsim, must want the foreigners.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Turkcell or Telsim?

•   Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Vodafone.. no ph.

I would be with whatever network you make the most calls to.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Groucho wrote:Vodafone.. no ph.

I would be with whatever network you make the most calls to.
Sorry, I don't understand - and I suspect that I'm not alone

What does 'no ph' mean?

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Groucho was explaining it was Vodafone, not Vodaphone, hence no ph.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

alphamike wrote:Groucho was explaining it was Vodafone, not Vodaphone, hence no ph.
Cheers!

I should have realised

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Been up for hours, if I had just got up, would definitely have flummoxed me too.

Return to “MOBILE PHONES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”