Control of inverters Google home

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Control of inverters Google home

•   Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Has anyone controlled their inverters via Google or Amazon smart plugs? Our inverters are hardwired into the wall but there is wall switch which I guess would need changing. Just thought it would be useful to be able to control it via that to be warm when we get in.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Control of inverters Google home

•   Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

I guess that you are referring to A/C units, rather than solar power inverters...

I think that the question that you need to ask is whether the units go immediately into heating mode when turned on by the wall switch - my first guess would be that they don't!

Have you tried that?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Also, A/C units may consume more than 13Amps, and not be suitable for connecting to an internet-controlled adaptor.

Do the current ( ) outlets incorporate a 13Amp fuse?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Keithcaley wrote:Also, A/C units may consume more than 13Amps, and not be suitable for connecting to an internet-controlled adaptor.

Do the current ( ) outlets incorporate a 13Amp fuse?
From memory (was a while ago) when we used a remote power switch to control an aircon unit we used a 'relay system' where by the remote power switch turned on the relay which in turn turned on the aircon for this very reason.

wjms
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

Post by wjms »

I use devices called Sensibo to control my air cons, they work using IR like the remotes.
Can be controlled using apps, their website or various AI assistants, Google home works for me, although I don’t routinely use it.

You do need an internet connection and WiFi for them to work though,

Not the cheapest option, but work for me and I am impressed with them overall. Do not know if they deliver to Cyprus though. Brought mine across with me from Germany.

http://Www.sensibo.com

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Use the timer setting if it has one.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

As usual Keith good questions and ones I had thought about since posting. Don't know what happens if you turn it off at the wall and then back on again and as we are currently in the UK watching snow come down that experiment will have to wait. Likewise I am unable to visualise what is connected to what. We are currently staying with friends and they use Google to control all sorts. We would use It for the heating but nothing else.

It is inverter a/c I am talking about. Why don't we use the timer? Well we would like the option to be able to switch it on remotely rather than have to guess what time we would be back home.

Will have another Google search this morning but will I'll look at Sensibo first.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

The Sensibo option does sound interesting - using the internet to operate what is effectively an infra-red remote control..

It does seem to be expensive though, so it could be worth looking for an equivalent product.

I have to say that I'm a little wary of 'The Internet of Things' due to reports criticizing poor security, but then, I am a Luddite

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Indeed we did have the 'security' conversation last night re Google and we both came to the conclusion if they are listening or watching us their life is going to be very tedious. I think the price is about what I was expecting and as it is a one off payment that would benefit us immensely over the years it hasn't scared me so far but of course I will be looking at other options and research it to bits before I do anything. Hence asking for opinions on here first as I know some are too young to be a fully paid up Luddite yet Keith,

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Chriswright03 wrote:...if they are listening or watching us their life is going to be very tedious...

Actually I was thinking more of the devices being an easy way for hackers to gain access to your network - although I am occasionally surprised when a device pipes up - uninvited as far as I can see - with some comment on my casual conversation!

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Yes I had that happen in the hire car when I connected my phone by Android. I mentioned we would be passing our old house and she piped up telling me directions to somewhere called Old Hose some miles away. Spooky.

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”