General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Qualifications - real or imagined?

•   Message 1 of 30 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

I'm starting this thread because it was pointed out to me that another thread had wandered off-topic, as these things sometimes do...

If a Forum user claims to be qualified to do a particular job, is it reasonable to ask them what their qualification actually is, and which organisation granted the qualification, if there seem to be reasons to doubt the claim?

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Qualifications - real or imagined?

•   Message 2 of 30 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

I am with you on this one Keith it is perfectly reasonable to ask for proof of qualifications there are b****s everywhere you look!

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 30 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

Yes if you intend to purchase their services otherwise what business is it of yours to demand an answer?

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 30 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Without a doubt yes. If someone does actually have qualifications I am sure they would be quite happy to prove it and if they aren't well.....................

Lezana
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 30 in Discussion

Post by Lezana »

i agree it is reasonable to ask for proof of qualification within the context Joandjelly mentions - especially if its safety orientated service such as electrical, Gas, or mechanical (auto etc), and more so if its a single person offering the service who will actually be the person doing the work. I have had several services carried out at my house such as AC fitting - where electrical connections are made - and some other plumbing related work done. I didnt ask for qualifications (since i had no real reason to doubt their qualification or capability) - i also get the feeling that 90% of the tradesmen who show up probably got their skills by OTJ training over the years and have been recommended by others. (or not). A van with 4 blokes came to fit AC and i could tell that 2 were the main 'technicians' (for want of a better word), and 2 were more like labourers. As long as the shop/service i used was (a) recommended multiple times on this forum and by friends, and (b) provided written warranty - i felt that was good enough for what i paid for.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 30 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

You wont get an answer from him he has removed himself from the forum. Wonder why?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 7 of 30 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Thank you to everyone who has added their own perspective to this debate.

Although I had no immediate intention of using their Services, the question arose from a Forum user making the assertion that they were qualified to do a particular job, and criticising the approach of others to that job, but rather rudely declining to offer any advice on the grounds that 'they charged for such', and did not therefore 'offer advice for free'.

This was despite the Forum user having solicited free advice from other members on the very same subject, and having displayed such a lack of expertise that I believed that there was reasonable doubt about the claim to be 'qualified'.

Generally, I have found that the numerous experts in various fields that use this forum are happy to share their expertise for the good of all - and long may it continue!

I do take on board the view of those who don't think that it was any of my business unless I intended to use and pay for the services mentioned, although I may have saved other, more trusting members, from 'falling for it'... given that the Forum user who made the claim has stated on the Forum that they are here on a 'Visitor Visa' and could hardly therefore be part of a legitimate business...

Just my opinion, of course!

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 30 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

Don’t forget the definition of an expert:

An “ex” is a has-been and a “spurt” is a drip under pressure.....

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 30 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

I missed what started this mainly because I have little interest in the thread about electric bills as we just go and pay ours at the bank once a month and as long as it looks about right I just accept it. Having said that I understand that some have their concerns about the bills and have an interest in the same thread. However as a result of my lack of interest I missed all of the pool nonsense.

So Keith I would say you were quite right to call out the member in an effort to ensure that others less observant were caught out by them. I also think that the tactic to accuse others of bullying and stating what a weird bunch we are is an obvious diversion tactic once they realised they had been caught out. Nothing at all wrong with wanting transparency when it comes to parting with your hard earned.

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 30 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

Keithcaley wrote:I do take on board the view of those who don't think that it was any of my business unless I intended to use and pay for the services mentioned, although I may have saved other, more trusting members, from 'falling for it'... given that the Forum user who made the claim has stated on the Forum that they are here on a 'Visitor Visa' and could hardly therefore be part of a legitimate business...

As it was me that suggested it was none of your business I will add that he didn't appear (to me at least) to be saying that he was working in a pool cleaning business here, merely that he was qualified to do so.

scaffman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 30 in Discussion

Post by scaffman »

I AM AN EXPERT IN HEALTH AND SAFETY WITH SUITABLE QUALIFICATIONS BUT NOT TODAY THANK YOU IN THIS PRESENT CLIMATE HERE IN THE TRNC.
JUST SAYING FOLKS.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 30 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

Qualified/competent. Some are qualified, less are competent - deemed as being: qualified, experienced, current and mature. It is competency users of services should look for, rather than just a qualification, which may be years out of date and issued by some 'mickey mouse' organisation no longer in existence or relevant to North Cyprus. Just saying like - flak jacket and kevlar helmet on and off to the naughty step.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 30 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

I don't know the circumstances of this particular case not having read the post in question, but Tom Steel makes a good point. "Qualifications" which may look impressive may, for instance, only mean that the holder has attended a course on the salesmanship of a particular product and given a piece of paper confirming he has been present at the classes - not even taken an examination or having studied the mechanics of the product.. I was caught out by just such a scam and lost a lot of money by believing in a set of initials which I thought guaranteed good faith as well as a certain degree of expertise.

Of course if someone claims to have a particular qualification one is entitled to ask for proof - not only to protect the more innocent (like me ) but on this forum I would suggest to uphold the good name of the forum. As said above if the qualification is genuine and relevant the holder should have no problem whatever in proving it.

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 30 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

There is indeed a vast difference between "qualifications" and competence - in some (many?) cases, an individual may have many qualifications, none of which relate to the competence of that individual in that job or position. During my working life, I went/was sent on numerous courses, all of which provided "certificates" (of attendance!) - which I promptly threw in the bin, as (to me) they were worthless - no test/exam, so what?
For over thirty years, I gained no promotions**, although due to my wide experience and demonstrated/proven competence, I was frequently used in higher grades and widely different duties...
Eventually I was fortunate enough that in one application for promotion, the two individuals who interviewed me looked at (and knew) my "performance record" and competence rather than my (lack of) qualifications - and so from (almost) the "lowest of the low" I rose several grades (in one step) to internal auditor in a large company, responsible for system, quality and compliance auditing...

** After one unsuccessfull application, I approached the personnel manager, who stated unequivocally (amongst other points) that having gone to grammar school I should claim that I "was educated to GCSE standards" - as I left school at 15, an outright lie - but he insisted I should still make that claim.....

However, although I have no educational qualifications, and only passed the eleven-year-old exam, I can still proudly put these letters after my name - "Jofra", NFQAA, OPTEP......

slsgjc
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 30 in Discussion

Post by slsgjc »

How do I start a new thread

IPMAN
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 30 in Discussion

Post by IPMAN »

Keithcaley wrote:
Ah! but what qualifies you to give such an opinion?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 17 of 30 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

IPMAN wrote:
Keithcaley wrote:
Ah! but what qualifies you to give such an opinion?
Don't be cheeky to your elders, or else you'll get a clip around your ear 'ole

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 30 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

As a retired teacher who occasionally gave tuition in various subjects from the UK National Curriculum to young students here in the TRNC, I always gave the parents a copy of my CV, which included two independent references who were people in senior teaching positions.
Whilst I have learnt from experience both in the UK and here there are lots of "experts" who class themselves as able to perform a task to a certain level. Hmmm The problem is not the bit of paper or proof, but better to use "word of mouth" as a guide.

PS I am also a qualified Mechanical Engineer as well as a Teacher with the bits of paper to prove it .

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 30 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

How many ask to see a DRs qualifications when we go to see them. Its assumed they are qualified?

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 30 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

Are any doctors qualified? After all, aren't they all just practising.....

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 30 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Interesting subject this! Only question I have is simple as well - I have taken a test, which I passed the first time, I now have a driving license, am I qualified to drive? I won't mention which vehicle/s I took the test for/with/on, let us just assume it was a normal, manual gearbox, 4 seat passenger car!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

laptatony
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 30 in Discussion

Post by laptatony »

The famous demolition expert and comedian Blaster Bates defined "expert" as "a drip under pressure" sure some people can associate with this

Jeremy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 30 in Discussion

Post by Jeremy »

It seems to me that in NC if someone can change a 3 pin plug they can and do class themselves as an electrician. Cynical I know but I'm a fully trained brain surgeon and have the Swiss army knife to prove it...

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 30 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

I would not wish to comment on anything other than 'competency' and the criteria it requires to be met. Other posters have quite eloquently stated their opinions and I totally respect them. I am Sheffield University qualified as a PE teacher, MCSP qualified physiotherapist, a qualified Remedial and Recreational Therapist and hold numerous UK national accredited sports coaching/officiating qualifications. However, as I am not current in any of them, I am deemed to be not competent, ergo, not qualified, despite having all of the certificates, experience and maturity. All four criteria has to be met to be deemed to be qualified and fit to practise. However, it has to be said, this is a EU/UK requirement and probably doesn't apply here. Pay your money, take your chance!

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 30 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

I suspect some of the "qualifications" here may be similar to Service ranks, on a couple of cases I know have risen as the years go by. No point at all, as with the advent of www it is possible to check these things out. Same goes for TC advocate qualifications in the UK. Some are donkeys years out of date, never updated and dues never paid. Not difficult to check out. Better to rely on personal recommendations. IMHO

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 30 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

You don't need "qualifications" to get a well paid job anyway - just become an MP! https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/mp

You do need to be able to use a computer - that's me out then - lol.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Kanonier
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 30 in Discussion

Post by Kanonier »

Having spent 48 years with the British Army I am competent at most things and qualified at none.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 30 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

waddo wrote:You don't need "qualifications" to get a well paid job anyway - just become an MP! https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/mp

You do need to be able to use a computer - that's me out then - lol.
ime

After reading the lighter sections of the news this morning I find myself over qualified to be Prime Minister of the UK, Not only can I say "çok güzel'' but I am the proud owner of not one but three cute little rescue dogs who make great photo opportunities

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 30 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

Kanonier wrote:Having spent 48 years with the British Army I am competent at most things and qualified at none.
No quals = no competency. I too spent over 40 years in the British Army, secured many professional qualifications and used them for a number of years. However, no currency = no competency. Tis a fact

RAZR63
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 30 in Discussion

Post by RAZR63 »

I have just been down to Magic Touch Printers to get my qualifications as a gynecologist ....... based in Harley Street.

When I screamed at the gynecologist it was just an ovary action.....

Going there again next week to get my certificates for Dolphin Trainer....

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”