General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

steveodp
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Stone Walls

•   Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

Post by steveodp »

Many properties seem to have these short stone boundary walls, topped by wooden boards that are supported by metal uprights.
Has anyone successfully converted one of these into a full-height stone wall? What did it entail? Is it even possible? Are there alternative 'stone-effect' options?
This is something we would like to do, so would like more info.
Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Screenshot-2019-11-01-at-11.13.07.jpg

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Stone Walls

•   Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Any expert stone man will just stick another height (of your choice) on top of what there is. Many occasions you can't see the join and sometimes you can.

pc4854
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

Post by pc4854 »

there are height limits of one metre measured from inside the wall (I think).

steveodp
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

Post by steveodp »

Thanks for the responses so far.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

pc4854 wrote:there are height limits of one metre measured from inside the wall (I think).
From (somewhat dubious) memory, I think that it's 1.2 metres - and I seem to think that it can be measured on whichever side of the wall the ground happens to be highest.

The reason for the last bit is that if your garden is half a metre lower than the ground outside, your wall would only be 0.7 metres high on the outside if it was measured on the inside.

Feel free to shoot me down if you can find any ammunition

steveodp
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

Post by steveodp »

Thanks Keith. Less than 4 feet isn't very good for privacy - it's probably less than the wooden structure that's there now...
I've definitely seen walls higher than this - or is that 'brown envelope' time?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

steveodp wrote:...
I've definitely seen walls higher than this - or is that 'brown envelope' time?
It may be that the ground is a lot higher on the inside

Or it may be 'what you said' - I'm not repeating it!

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

Keithcaley wrote:
pc4854 wrote:there are height limits of one metre measured from inside the wall (I think).
From (somewhat dubious) memory, I think that it's 1.2 metres - and I seem to think that it can be measured on whichever side of the wall the ground happens to be highest.
The reason for the last bit is that if your garden is half a metre lower than the ground outside, your wall would only be 0.7 metres high on the outside if it was measured on the inside.

Feel free to shoot me down if you can find any ammunition
Find out from your municipality, there are retaining, separation and front walls, all are different heights

Our separation wall was 1m wall and no higher than 1.2m in Catalkoy village, our neighbour got it measured but I did already know this due to dealing with below.

BUT it depends on who is building it and who gets on better with the municipality.
scenario of 2 customers
neighbours 2 pools the division was the pool depth and railings, lower neighbour put up fence, upper neighbour measured it, from his land 1.2 but from lower neighbour land 3m+, fence had to come down. If you don't believe me ask gates he put it up and took it down

Tanel from Sydney construction has tied in a wall increasing the height all around a property where I have worked for many years, the last owners were not given permission from the neighbours and anything they tried to do was ordered to be cut, taken down etc but the new owner with Tanel have gained the privacy he wanted therefore neighbours must be on your side

steveodp
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

Post by steveodp »

That’s really interesting, and no surprise that the rules are open to interpretation. Looks as though choosing someone to build it will depend on not just the quality of their work, but also who they know...

JOHNBOY1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

Post by JOHNBOY1 »

I am looking to build a 10 meter stone wall. Can you recommend any small builders near Girne

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

steveodp wrote:
Fri 01 Nov 2019 12:18 pm
Many properties seem to have these short stone boundary walls, topped by wooden boards that are supported by metal uprights.
Has anyone successfully converted one of these into a full-height stone wall? What did it entail? Is it even possible? Are there alternative 'stone-effect' options?
This is something we would like to do, so would like more info.
Thanks in advance.
I believe the wooden fence above stone wall allows airflow, this is the reason for the restriction in height of stone walls. I had to do same on my property.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Remember, the original wall's foundation, if there is such a thing (many walls have been erected without adequate ones or none) might well fail with a hefty additional course of stones.... so dig down and investigate whether you might be creating a problem inadvertently. Many walls have collapsed in storms too.

gates
Business contributing to forum
Business contributing to forum

•   Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

Post by gates »

Dont make it higher till you get your deeds as the limit is 1.20 for boundry walls or they wont give you your deeds

Kanonier
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Kanonier »

JOHNBOY1 wrote:
Thu 09 Jul 2020 3:00 am
I am looking to build a 10 meter stone wall. Can you recommend any small builders near Girne
High? 😁 😏

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

Quite a sober post in my opinion.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”