Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

iv_cyprus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Looking for a company dealing with aluminum/pvc windows

•   Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Post by iv_cyprus »

Hello,

I am looking for a company dealing with aluminum/pvc windows, as I need to change my bedroom's windows and frames in order to achieve better sound insulation. I have checked with Tescomar in Catalkoy, however, their offer seems a bit costy, hence, looking for alternatives as well. Thank you in advance

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Looking for a company dealing with aluminum/pvc windows

•   Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

I do not know what you have been quoted but I can vouch for the quality & service from Tescomar as being first rate.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

we had all our windows and doors replaced by Salih 05338711143 after fitting windows, doors for several customers all to a high quality finish and even quoted for a glass roof and thoroughly explained the shortfalls of having one.

A quote from another site

We have nothing but praise for Firatpen as a company and the boss, Salih Erdogmus, and all his workmen.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Blue Island opposite the petol station on Catalkoy.

Türkiye
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Türkiye »

Hello, primarily I wish you a pleasant day. We can deal with the aluminum/pvc windows for a good price. Please call 0533 848 7141 if needed. I can provide you some sample photos if needed. We deal all kind of house works.
Cheers

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

We have used Blue Isaland and found them helpful, quick to respond and reasonably priced.

They are located at the end of a row of shops on the rhs of the main road in the Catalkoy area. Just before the large Malpas Hotel sign, with an AlPet garage on the lhs.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

for energy reasons avoid
- aluminium in general.. too much energy losses throught the frame
- sliding doors and-or windows, as they are not air tight at all. (and therefore the "sound reduce values" are also bad)
(pls search "air exchange rate".. pls understand that we always have a different air pressure inside/outside.. only a bit.. but it does exist.. and air just comes in / flows out through the windows)
- also mandatory is a gas filling between the glas, as argon or krypton
for your info, some heat loss factors
- single glass: 6W/m²K
- double, no gas: 3 W/m²K
- double, gassed with argon, distance of the glass = 18mm: 1,2W/m²K

(what does that mean? 1m² of single glass will transfer 6W of energy for each degree temp difference.
eg, terrace door, 2 x 2 meters = 4 m², inside temp 22 degrees, outside 12 degree = 10 degree temp difference.
so, 6(W) x 4 (m²) x 10 (temp differene) = 240 W permanent heat loss x 24 hours (on a colder winter day) = 5,7 kWh/day energy losses for just this one door!! )

works the same calculation in summer for cooling, just do a calculation for some windows in your house for some degrees temp difference and for 3 or 4 month of cooling...

go for strong frames and good locks.. as they simply close better (also on the long run).

so, basically "waisted money" are alu "square profiles" sliding doors/windows (with double glazing or single glas does not matter any more).... but take my warning serious.. also pvc and sliding is basically not acceptable!

for sound... you need thicker glas as usual.. pls google and check whether they can produce it.
the frame (glas holder) thickness often is limited.

Regards
kibsolar1999

iv_cyprus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

Post by iv_cyprus »

Hello,

Thank you very much all for your replies and recommendations. I will check with the suggested companies and see which ones can come up with a better offer. I am sure tescomar are quite good, and may come back to them, however, the offer seems a bit high priced for my pocket (it was supposed to be one price, then price went up due to a guess different materials needed).

Samson
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Samson »

Have used Blue Island........they make the windows etc. on site in the tiny shop unit assembled by hand thus not precision joints etc.This results in virtually no draughtproofing at all,blows a gale inside when windy out.Also 3 of the large glazed units developed condensation inside,took over a year of countless requests to get 2 changed one of which has also developed same problem.The 3rd. unit is still waiting to be replaced after 2 years.....enough said.
No more business from me....of course.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

as i said.. alu is not an option... and for upvc you have a couple of choices in n-cyprus.
eg, one is in the karao industrial area or others in lefkosa...

point is.. spend some more for good equipment and a company which offer choices, eg gassing or different glas thicknesses for better sound proof.
choose a company which has an idea when you mention "air tightness" or "u-values" or "emissivity glass".

best

iv_cyprus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

Post by iv_cyprus »

Yes, wherever I went and I explained my situation (water pump motors and other sounds, since i live in the center), they suggested changing the glass with a much thicker one. Eventually they said they will have to change the aluminium, make brand new windows, etc

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Post by thornaby »

Re- kibsolars comments, would definitely make sense in the uk where the houses are built to a reasonable standard but with the "quality " of build over here I really doubt that having a better standard window will do little to improve the thermal efficiency of the house. Have just ordered a window from Blue Island, the price was reasonable and the quality of the finished ones in the shop looked good, time will tell. Did use Tescomar for a awning cover for our gazebo which was basically a square, the price was ridiculous for what we got and have since learnt we could have got the same product a lot, lot cheaper! Happy days!

iv_cyprus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

Post by iv_cyprus »

Thanks. I will check blue island as well. A guess that will be a second option, as for me tescomar price is quite high, though from the conversation we had with the guy and his staff (also they came to take measurements), they really seemed to know pretty well their job, which gave me some trust, but again, the price was a bit high in my opinion

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

Thornaby,
Yes, you are right..houses here are built to a very low standart and basically people here can make the decision to either pay a fortune or limit the available living area. Eg, only heat /cool the living room and other rooms temporarily only . Question of course would be why they build sooo big houses.. but ok, that’s another issue. Free hints to heat a bathroom we can get in this forum for free.
in average you can say: 20% of the surface of the walls are windows (and doors)
the crap walls here , cement plaster-brick- gypsum plaster, (btw, double walls with a gap, but no insulation= air, are not much better)) have a u-value of, say, approx 1,2. a single glass windows u-value is 6.
So, basically you can say: the crap windows emit more energy as the crap walls.
On top comes the “air tightness”. Bended or riveted (or screwed) alu frames and – or sliding doors installed… and the aircirculation never stops and we end up with a drafty home. And not only when we have a storm or windy conditions outside.. the thermal differences and different air pressures will “push” the air in or out. Even walls, roofs and floors can “diffuse”.. eg very bad, when window frames are not properly “foamed in”. eg, when alu frames are screwed to the wall only (because the foam will “warp” the redicolous thin frame during expansion/curing) and just get some plaster and a “decoration rail” .
Insufficient air tightness of doors and windows can rise the proportion of “normal “ heat losses from air circulation from 12 % to easily 30% or more.
So, it is the combination of 1. air tightness (no sliding, good frames and proper foaming), 2. no aluminum used , 3. MUST BE GASSED double glazing ( no gas glas- u value 3, gassed - 1,3) and your home saves … a lot of energy, but definitely not “little” as you say.
Of course, a “somewhat” proper roof insulation is basically mandatory as well.
Plus inverter driven air cons (which then really make sense..) .. and that is basically what you can do to reduce the cooling – heating efforts and, of course, to achieve a somewhat nice living athmosphere.

iv_cyprus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

Post by iv_cyprus »

anybody has the number for blue island? thank you.

sammydavis
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

Post by sammydavis »

We used Aypen PVC which is on right hand side of road to Yisiltepe/Ilgaz, not far up there. They built a conservatory on back of our house, and it is very well built at a very reasonable price. The office lady is called Nevim, and she is very, very helpful with fairly good English. I would certainly recommend them.

Cyprus Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Cyprus Hector »

We also used Aypen and after our poor experience would definitely not recommend them.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”