General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

SussexBoy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Visitor Questions

•   Message 1 of 35 in Discussion

Post by SussexBoy »

Currently, UK tourists (Cat C) arriving in the RoC are required to undergo 14 days quarantine there. If their intention from the outset is to go to the TRNC, do they have to go into a second 14 day quarantine period in the TRNC after crossing the border because they are UK residents?

Yesterday, the RoC Health Minister, Mr Ioannou, announced that, from 1 August UK visitors would be allowed to enter without a 14 day quarantine period PROVIDED infection rates "stay at the current low ebb". A negative PCR test will still be required before flying to the RoC. However, I suppose there is no guarantee that the TRNC authorities will take the same stance from 1 August.

Secondly, does anyone know whether taxi drivers from the TRNC are currently allowed to cross the border and pick up Cat A & B tourists from Larnaca or Paphos? Are they required to have regular PCR tests?

howardjennings
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Visitor Questions

•   Message 2 of 35 in Discussion

Post by howardjennings »

The only people allowed to cross the Green Line at the moment are Cypriot citizens- ROC or TRNC. The ROC border police are reportedly stopping
non citizens from LEAVING the South to cross to the North.

The above answers your second question. There are no tourists allowed to cross, so taxis won't be able to pick them up.

Maisiemoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Maisiemoo »

The problem is where do you get the test in the UK and ensure the results are available less than 72 hours before you fly?

plk74
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 35 in Discussion

Post by plk74 »

Maisiemoo, I would also like to know. I don’t fly till October, so hoping there is more availability by then, I did google, there’s a place in London that guarantees results in a few hours, by email. I don’t know if email is acceptable to Cyp authorities.

plk74
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 35 in Discussion

Post by plk74 »

Re my last post, apparently that’s antibody test. No further forward.

howardjennings
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 35 in Discussion

Post by howardjennings »

There are on line services which charge £300+, I don't think that's worth it. It seems you can only get tested through the government system
if you are showing symptoms. Maybe if you contact a travel agent and say you want a holiday to a place which requires a PCR test is the cheeky way to find out where you can get tested for a reasonable fee?

plk74
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 35 in Discussion

Post by plk74 »

Howard, yes, and the private PCS tests all seem to be postal, I wouldn’t trust it to get back in time. Will enquire at travel agent or, pitch up at NHS testing station and say I’ve lost my sense of taste and smell....

howardjennings
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 35 in Discussion

Post by howardjennings »

Pitching up seems a good idea if you can get a copy of the result to take with you!

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Dalartokat »

plk74 wrote:
Sun 05 Jul 2020 7:45 am
Howard, yes, and the private PCS tests all seem to be postal, I wouldn’t trust it to get back in time. Will enquire at travel agent or, pitch up at NHS testing station and say I’ve lost my sense of taste and smell....
Think you will find you have to be referred by a GP, the testing stations are not just walk ins for anyone. There are a series of questions to be asked first and if you qualify for a test they will tell you to go to a testing station. In the meantime, whilst your walking around with your so called “loss of taste and smell” you will be advised to self quarantine.

Just as a by and by, if you are going into hospital for a procedure, you will be asked to have a test, that test does not produce results until 72 hours( as mentioned already) but does not go to you the results go to the department you are having the procedure with. Also results can get through quicker depending upon what your having done. My results were at the department in less than 72 hours.

Personally I think you could end up tying yourself in knots if you go down the route you are suggesting.
If you ever get tired one day of life, take a rest, lean your back on the stone, not people. Cold but safe...

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Brinsley »

With all the 'Black Lives Matter' anti-racist rhetoric fuelled by the worldwide media of anyone "Of Colour" (?) being demonised and treated as second class citizen without privileges, how does this stack-up in Cyprus?
Cypriot Turks or Greeks may cross the border having access to the whole Island whilst foreign residents of long standing periods of no overseas travel may not do so!
HOW INHERENT CYPRIOT RACIAL PREJUDICE COMES TO THE FORE

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 11 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

You can only cross the border if you have a RoC Id. I am Turkish Cypriot and only hold a TRNC Id and UK Passport, so I can not cross borders.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Brinsley »

Well, there is your discrimination against you as a minority. Call the BBC and demand 'air-time' as they prioritise other hard trodden racial isolated groups!

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 35 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

Soner wrote:
Sun 05 Jul 2020 6:32 pm
... only hold a TRNC Id and UK Passport, so I can not cross borders.
Surely this restriction is only because of the current Covid problem (and UK infection rates)? If not, this is an abomination - our (TC) friends (with TRNC Id and UK passports) have not previously had problems....

TB10pilot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 35 in Discussion

Post by TB10pilot »

I went to the NHS online booking system for Covid last Wednesday am. Answered all questions. We do not have any flu symptoms etc. I was offered appointments all day Wednesday, every 30 minutes. We went to the Gatwick testing centre at 2.30pm. You self test, but they tell you exactly how to do it. We got our results by 9.30am Thursday, excellent service! And both of us negative. They email and text you the results.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 15 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

jofra wrote:
Sun 05 Jul 2020 8:54 pm
Soner wrote:
Surely this restriction is only because of the current Covid problem (and UK infection rates)? If not, this is an abomination - our (TC) friends (with TRNC Id and UK passports) have not previously had problems....
Correct, it is the UK Passport that allows me to cross over to the RoC. TRNC ID is not recognised.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 35 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Soner, a bit off topic but do you drive on your UK or TRNC license and the same for gaining your permission to take your TRNC vehicle? Not saying that the RoC are deliberately obstructive - even if they are - but it would be strange that all TCs have a UK driving license?
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 17 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

waddo wrote:
Mon 06 Jul 2020 5:16 am
Soner, a bit off topic but do you drive on your UK or TRNC license and the same for gaining your permission to take your TRNC vehicle? Not saying that the RoC are deliberately obstructive - even if they are - but it would be strange that all TCs have a UK driving license?
Currently driving on UK license, but very close to obtaining TC license. Have not crossed over to the RoC by car since changes and definitely will not attempt until I get TC license.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 35 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Even further off the same point don't drive a non hire car on a UK licence in the North its an offence UK licences for hire cars only

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 19 of 35 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

TB10pilot wrote:
Sun 05 Jul 2020 8:56 pm
I went to the NHS online booking system for Covid last Wednesday am. Answered all questions. We do not have any flu symptoms etc. I was offered appointments all day Wednesday, every 30 minutes. We went to the Gatwick testing centre at 2.30pm. You self test, but they tell you exactly how to do it. We got our results by 9.30am Thursday, excellent service! And both of us negative. They email and text you the results.
Are you saying that you had no symptoms by that I mean were not experiencing Covid 19 symptoms? You were not referred by your GP? You just went online and answered the questions and got a test?

I have looked on line and according to the information it appears you cannot just have a test. You have to be experiencing symptoms, referred by GP, work for NHS or are a key worker.

So a little confused how you got the test? Not sure anyone trying to travel could just go and get a test. U.K. is a cat C country at the moment for entry into the TRNC but if it goes to cat B the dilemma will be how to get a test in the U.K., plus what paperwork is required by the TRNC authorities. Not convinced a text message or email would be good enough.... not that I know of course.

Confusing it is!
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

SussexBoy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 35 in Discussion

Post by SussexBoy »

Thanks for your responses. TRNC did at one stage hint about requiring Covid-19 insurance cover but that is almost impossible to get from most UK travel insurance companies at the present time.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 35 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

PoshinDevon Looks as if you are going to have a 14 night stay in quarantine according to Kibris#
https://www.kibrisgazetesi.com/kibris/s ... 92380.html

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 35 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

wanderer wrote:
Mon 06 Jul 2020 8:19 am
Even further off the same point don't drive a non hire car on a UK licence in the North its an offence UK licences for hire cars only
Where did you get that info from?

I've just checked with my insurance, as to whether my visitors are allowed to drive my private car when here. Answer was yes, so long as they are here under 90 days and have a full driving licence from their country of origin.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 35 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

6 months ago spot check into Girne I had just collected my new TRNC licence that day asked which one no difference said policeman

Fast forward to Sunday Jan 5th 12:30

Stopped coming down from five fingers in my car not hire car spot checked by police
I could not find my TRNC licence offered UK licence his answer NO your licence

Wife fised my TRNC licence out of my wallet

The policeman ok have a nice day

They are obviously enforcing TRNC licence for TRNC car nor letting family use my car anymore

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 24 of 35 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

wanderer wrote:
Mon 06 Jul 2020 9:05 am
PoshinDevon Looks as if you are going to have a 14 night stay in quarantine according to Kibris#
https://www.kibrisgazetesi.com/kibris/s ... 92380.html
At present as U.K. is Cat C country of course there is 14 day quarantine. However we are not travelling for at least 2 months so will see how things are then.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 35 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

wanderer wrote:
Mon 06 Jul 2020 9:51 am
6 months ago spot check into Girne I had just collected my new TRNC licence that day asked which one no difference said policeman

Fast forward to Sunday Jan 5th 12:30

Stopped coming down from five fingers in my car not hire car spot checked by police
I could not find my TRNC licence offered UK licence his answer NO your licence

Wife fised my TRNC licence out of my wallet

The policeman ok have a nice day

They are obviously enforcing TRNC licence for TRNC car nor letting family use my car anymore
This could be well to do with you residing here, or staying for longer than 90 days?

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 35 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

No I don't reside 30 /32 days the January trip 10 days
The Polis want TRNC registered cars driven by TRNC licence holders
I had driven non hire car since 2010
June 2019 uk licence no issue on TRNC reg car

Somewhere in the autumn of 2019 changed to TRNC Car =TRNC licence look in Trevor's tips

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 35 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

wanderer wrote:
Mon 06 Jul 2020 11:21 am
No I don't reside 30 /32 days the January trip 10 days
The Polis want TRNC registered cars driven by TRNC licence holders
I had driven non hire car since 2010
June 2019 uk licence no issue on TRNC reg car

Somewhere in the autumn of 2019 changed to TRNC Car =TRNC licence look in Trevor's tips
Thanks Wanderer.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 28 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 35 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

The real answer is within the level of risk you are willing or are allowed to take.

The Covid 19 virus remains omnipresent across the globe and outbreaks, spikes and deaths are reported with surprisingly little importance.
The Virus remains a virulent killer without mercy.

I find it rather strange that people contemplate increasing the level of risk to themselves and others without due attention to consequence.
A negative test is a moment in time. The result offers no immunity or protection. Travel and indeed exposure to others represents an increase in risk and there will most certainly be many thousands of new outbreaks as the virus finds fresh new opportunities due to closer contact, travel and lapse of attention of hosts.

Certainly the social, psychological and economic consequences of this war are immensely damaging. However how precious to you is life, family friends and fellow mankind.

The development of a vaccine is the best shot right now. Until the next morph emerges from the ashes of strain 19.

Chelsea
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Chelsea »

Soner wrote:
Mon 06 Jul 2020 3:26 am
jofra wrote:
Sun 05 Jul 2020 8:54 pm
Soner wrote:
Correct, it is the UK Passport that allows me to cross over to the RoC. TRNC ID is not recognised.
Hi Soner, my husband has British passport but uses his TRNC ID to cross over and has been allowed for to do so.

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 35 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Tue 07 Jul 2020 10:22 pm
...The Covid 19 virus remains omnipresent...
...The development of a vaccine is the best shot right now....
Unfortunately, a vaccine may NOT be "the best shot right now" - due to idiocy, ignorance and outright malevolent, deranged mis-information and fake news - from the Independent -

"Almost a third of people in the UK would definitely not have a coronavirus vaccine or are not sure whether they would, a new poll has found.
Between 24 and 25 June, YouGov conducted a survey of 1,663 people in Britain, on behalf of research group Centre for Countering Digital Hate (CCDH)."

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 32 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Chelsea wrote:
Wed 08 Jul 2020 10:50 am
Soner wrote:
Mon 06 Jul 2020 3:26 am

Hi Soner, my husband has British passport but uses his TRNC ID to cross over and has been allowed for to do so.
Chelsea, I think you have to have been born in Cyprus and/or prove to RoC Gov that your parents were born here. I have been refused entry before on my TRNC Kimlik, it states that I was born in London.

Chelsea
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Chelsea »

Ok that’s the difference he was born in cyprus.

transit
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 35 in Discussion

Post by transit »

I have been allowed to cross over to the south using my TRNC I.D. There has never been a problem and I am English.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 35 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

transit wrote:
Thu 09 Jul 2020 2:56 pm
I have been allowed to cross over to the south using my TRNC I.D. There has never been a problem and I am English.
Really? I can use TRNC ID at Turkish Customs, but not accepted at Greek customs. Had been turned back.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”