General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Hot water tank replacement

•   Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Does anyone have any idea of the cost of replacing the hot water tank on the roof please?

howardjennings
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Hot water tank replacement

•   Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Post by howardjennings »

My hot water tank was replaced last year. Cost me 900TL for the new tank and installation. Considering the probable
rust in the pipe connections I would recommend a local plumber who knows what he is doing, rather than a DIY project. I contacted Izzy at
Sparks in Lapta. He supplied the tank and arrangements for the Plumber.

ardstrawray
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

Post by ardstrawray »

Ersem trading

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

ardstrawray wrote:
Thu 09 Jul 2020 5:14 pm
Ersem trading
Funny price...

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

Ersem - yes; Izzy - NO!!

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

Friend of mine uses gas boiler all year round to heat water. When you think of the cost of replacing solar panels and hot water tank every few years I think he is right. I'm convinced local suppliers put a rusty nail in new hot water tanks so they don't last too long.

Butterflyaway
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Butterflyaway »

frontalman wrote:
Fri 10 Jul 2020 5:14 am
Friend of mine uses gas boiler all year round to heat water. When you think of the cost of replacing solar panels and hot water tank every few years I think he is right. I'm convinced local suppliers put a rusty nail in new hot water tanks so they don't last too long.
Excellent post.

Don’t forget to add the cost of water damage to the property when the tank starts leaking and the water runs down through the celing light fittings etc. (My tanks were hidden in the roof space below the tiled roof).

When it leaked the insurance had to pay out 6,000 TL for damage to the interior of the house. I then got rid of the cold water tank completely and moved the hot water tank on top of the roof tiles.

When it now leaks, it just runs down the downpipes!

But Frontalman your friend is correct. If you have a big gas storage tank, the cost of the gas for the few months you could have received free hot water from your solar panels, is cheaper than the replacement of solar hot water. It’s a shame, but I can see more people paying for gas hot water in August!

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Thanks everyone for your replies. Where are Ersem based please?

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

Mollie the cat wrote:
Fri 10 Jul 2020 7:06 am
Thanks everyone for your replies. Where are Ersem based please?
Alsancak ,next to pools r us.

gates
Business contributing to forum
Business contributing to forum

•   Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

Post by gates »

Most solar panels i know have last well over 10years the tanks last anywhere from 3 to 10 some longer its much better to use your solar panels and hot water tank than keep using a boiler that lasts perhaps 5 some longer . I know a lot of people that have gone back to solar from gas boilers

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

gates wrote:
Fri 10 Jul 2020 8:30 am
Most solar panels i know have last well over 10years the tanks last anywhere from 3 to 10 some longer its much better to use your solar panels and hot water tank than keep using a boiler that lasts perhaps 5 some longer . I know a lot of people that have gone back to solar from gas boilers
So do we know people who've abandoned gas boilers in favour of solar plus immersion heater for the very few days of the year when solar is not quite enough...

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

I guess it's swings and roundabouts. We have a good gas central heating system with a fairly new efficient German condensing boiler, which we rarely use. We have the largest domestic gas tank - 1.75 tonne. We prefer solar panels while the sun shines too but next time they go, or the hot water tank pops I might rethink. Funnily enough this guy I'm talking about has 17 solar panels on his sun roof to give free domestic electricity to his house, another 3 on his garden shed just for his pool pump which he leaves on 24/7. He's a boffin, an ex-engineer, so thinks about things and he's adamant that it's better to use gas for hot water.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies, now sorted. While the guy was on the roof he noticed a leak from the bottom of the solar panels called a collector? No idea what that is or what function it has? Its all going on in the Molly household let me tell you!

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Brinsley »

The cost of running a roof-top immersion heater is prohibitive. I run electric shower unit and electric kitchen sink hot/cold faucet. Saves on water and pay for only the hot-water used. Comes into its own during sunless winter months.

Butterflyaway
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Butterflyaway »

One final thought, if I rid myself of my solar hot water system AND I have a problem with my combi boiler, then I am without hot water for the length of time it takes to repair/replace my boiler.

Sorry, but the risk is too high. I might get away with popping down to the Merit Royal and sneaking into the showers once or twice, but for me it’s another hot water tank, even though I know it’s a total waste of money.
😩😩😩

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Brinsley wrote:
Sat 11 Jul 2020 2:28 pm
The cost of running a roof-top immersion heater is prohibitive. I run electric shower unit and electric kitchen sink hot/cold faucet. Saves on water and pay for only the hot-water used. Comes into its own during sunless winter months.
We only switch ours on when the following conditions apply, we want a shower, there has been insufficient sun to heat the water (maybe 50 - 60 times a year) and the lower rate electric charge is operational.... we get a discount nearly every month for low usage... hardly prohibitive.

Seems as though the less technology you apply the more you save...until you opt for photovoltaic panels to supply a total solution and reduce gas and mains electric to the minimum.

daneliaukw
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Post by daneliaukw »

We use Camplux BW422LP 16L and I would recommend it to anyone, super easy to install even easier to use. This unit delivers very hot water even at winter inlet water temperatures below 40 degrees (although the flow needs to be reduced a bit to bring the water to a higher bath water temperature due to the cold air temperature that cools the water) faster when it is in the bath faster than in the summer months).

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”