Find out about anything to do with gardens, flowers and plants

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Hippocampus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Passion Fruit

•   Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Hippocampus »

Please can anybody tell me how to grow passion fruit? Any info. would be welcome regarding where to buy a decent plant, soil preparation, position to plant, frequency of watering etc.

compass
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Passion Fruit

•   Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Post by compass »

This reply is not much use maybe, as we bought our vine in the "south"!!!!!! Can't say I've seen any for sale on this side but I could be wrong there. Lots of passion flowers but not fruit vines.

If you do find one they like a good amount of sun on the foliage but keep the roots in shade. Ours has taken over an olive tree completely!!!

It seems to tolerate quite average soil, as ours is nothing special. It crops twice a year in this climate, only once in cooler countries.

Good luck

C'pass

compass
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Post by compass »

Hippocampus

Get in touch, pick up some fruit and you can have a cutting or two to try...........

Compass

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

My friend bought hers at the Romantic Garden Center in Famagusta last November for 45tl. It was growing on a couple of canes in a pot and was as taller than me. I looked after it during the Winter. In April when she returned, she planted it in the ground in her garden(Dipkarpaz) untangled it and trained it on wire. It loves it and I organised for the kind Turkish neighbour to water it. Lots of fruit now.

Hippocampus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Hippocampus »

Thanks for the info. Compass, I would love to take you up on your kind offer of cuttings. I would be loath to try to buy a vine here, as several of my fruit trees have, after many years of nurturing, turned out to bear completely different fruit than expected! As I live in Karsiyaka, a trip to the garden centre in Farmagusta is not practical for me, but thank you for the advice, I am sure people that live in that direction will be grateful to know.

Compass, I have a lot on this week, but next time I am going your way I will contact you. Thank you.

Tommy Cockles
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Tommy Cockles »

If you are still looking, I have a couple of eighteen month old seedlings left at 15tl. Nature Garden Centre, Alsancak, ask for John. Mon - Fri am only.

Return to “GARDENING - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”