Find out about anything to do with gardens, flowers and plants

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

judyvin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Wooly aphid/Mealy bug on olive trees

•   Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

Post by judyvin »

Has anyone else noticed that this year the Mealy bugs have moved onto the olive trees? In previous years I have only ever had them on hibiscus and they have been relatively easy to treat. However with 7 large olive tress I don't know how best to tackle them although information on the Internet suggests that they will not necessarily harm the tree but may leave the trees susceptible to other infections.
Any suggestions?
Many thanks
Judy

SunnyParkers
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Wooly aphid/Mealy bug on olive trees

•   Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Post by SunnyParkers »

Judy, we have discovered exactly the same problem on one of our large olive trees. Ulus from Nature Garden Centre in Alsancak has just sprayed all our olive trees for us. Hope this helps.

judyvin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Post by judyvin »

Thank you for your reply. I will make enquiries but I was under the impression that the spraying was to stop them being infected by a worm?

johnd11
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

Post by johnd11 »

what did you use on your hibiscus please.

judyvin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Post by judyvin »

I used a product that I bought from a small garden shop. I live in Ozankoy and I went to a very knowledgeable chap near Lemar Karakum. I took a small infected twig into him and he knew exactly what I needed and it worked. I am sorry but i dont know the name of it. There is another shop in Kyrenia that I have found helpful in the past and that is on the right hand side driving into town before you get to the law courts just after the hospital.
If you just have a few infected areas, spraying washing up liquid is quire effective but it is important to treat it asap. I almost lost a hibiscus last year!

Return to “GARDENING - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”