Post by Hammerhead »

Can anyone recommend a good weedkiller not harmful to animals

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Weed killer

•   Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

PersonallyI use salt, but you have to be very careful it does not spread to plants you dont want to killl. There are long dicsussions on this under heading "Knockout Weedkiller" and "Household poisons and alternatives. " With a bit of luck Keith Caley will come on and telll us how to find them. Pretty please, Keith.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

This was discussed here

Medjoul1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Medjoul1 »

Hi Michelle,
This afternoon I enquired at Mediterranean Gardener in Alsancak about a "contact" weedkiller as I wanted something cheap and cheerful to kill off the greenery until the spring when I would deal with any perrenial weeds that are left. I was shown "Knockout" which has the active ingredient "Glyphosate" more commonly associated with the product "Roundup" in the UK. Glyphosate is an excellent product when used correctly ie the weeds must be actively growing (to ingest the chemical), good weather conditions and it is neutralised on soil contact. Pets and people should of course be excluded from any areas treated with any garden chemicals for an apprpriate length of time.
Signs that it has been successful can take ten days to a fortnight to appear as it works by killing the plants from the root up hence its suitability and recommendation for perrenial problem weeds like Couch grass for example. A bottle was costing 35ytl, I'm afraid I don't know how far this will cover as it is not what I am looking for at this time but I would imagine more than enough for an average garden. Oh by the way you would need a method of application as this product was not in a hand held spray bottle as many in the UK are.
Hope that helps.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Medjoul1 wrote:..."Glyphosate"... you would need a method of application as this product was not in a hand held spray bottle as many in the UK are...
I would strongly recommend that you use a 'dribble bar' on a watering can with this sort of product - you certainly don't want to risk 'overspray' affecting any plants that you are not intending to kill! It also reduces the risk of getting any of the product on yourself.

Medjoul! - have you considered a 'mini flame thrower' - seriously, there are 'lances' to which you attach a gas bottle, and all you have to do is waft it about in the vicinity of the weeds, and they give up the ghost - you don't aim to incinerate 'em, just singe 'em a little.

...and NO! - I don't know who sells them here!

If you're intent on chemicals then caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) which is sold as a drain cleaner is a fairly permanent solution to weeds, just don't use it in places where you might want to grow something else in the future...

Medjoul1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Medjoul1 »

Thats a good idea Keith and would solve any "overspray" problems but I don't fancy lugging a gas bottle round the garden with me, not with my knees!
I find the age old remedy of a pop bottle cut in half and the spray lance poked through the top and taped in place as good as any.
I had another look today for a Paraquat/Diquat sort of herbicide but all they seem to sell is Glyphosate and I was told "thats what everybody uses here". Thats that then. Did find some Brushwood killer on the shelf though and that may come in handy when the Fig tree comes down.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

I was thinking of something like this:
41QDAlj8tUL.jpg
rather than this:
img_4406_cropped.jpg

IPMAN
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Post by IPMAN »

download (2).jpg
download (2).jpg (7.63 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
Keithcaley wrote:I was thinking of something like this:
The attachment 41QDAlj8tUL.jpg is no longer available
rather than this:
The attachment img_4406_cropped.jpg is no longer available
this would be more effective though !

old trucker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Post by old trucker »

I have quite a large garden and I know some people may not have the time or energy but I have removed the weeds by hand with the help of a hand rake, mad I must be but I just love pulling up weeds I find it very relaxing, you can buy weed killer at any Yapi store if you prefer a quicker, easier method x

Return to “GARDENING - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”