Find out about anything to do with gardens, flowers and plants

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

jools
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Palm weevil

•   Message 1 of 4 in Discussion

Post by jools »

Hi Does anyone know if we have to report Palm Weevil, our palm tree died overnight and now we are cutting it down, have found palm weevil in the base, loads of them, they are dead we think.

Do we just burn it ? Although it's too wet to burn

Thanks in anticipation of any replies

Medjoul1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Palm weevil

•   Message 2 of 4 in Discussion

Post by Medjoul1 »

Hi Jools,
Out of interest where are you located? How old is the infected tree and what sort is it, Fan palm or Canary Island type?
Thanks,
Medjoul

jools
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 4 in Discussion

Post by jools »

Hi, Its a Canary type palm, a Phoenix palm. approx 8 yrs old, not very tall, but was beautiful.

We came back from our Christmas break and the whole top had collapsed, we have now put some strong pesticide in the base, as the Larvae were very much alive, and looks like it has done the trick.

I wish we had treated it months ago, we could have saved the tree had we had done so. you cant see anything is wrong with the tree as its being eaten from the inside !

We are located in Karsiyaka

I have learnt alot from reading on the internet, I knew enough that the palm couldnt be moved until the Weevils and Larvea had died, to stop the spread.

Medjoul1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 4 in Discussion

Post by Medjoul1 »

Hi Jools,
Thanks for the info but not really what I wanted to hear as I'm not far from you (nr Hos Bes) and I've got some Phoenix Dactylifera that I have grown myself from seed and they are ten years old now. I was going to remove all the off shoots (pups) from the bases of them so I'll look out for the weevils/larvae.
Just in case, what did you treat them with and where did you get it?
Thanks, Medjoul

Return to “GARDENING - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”