Find out about anything to do with gardens, flowers and plants

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

sammydavis
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Pruning roses

•   Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Post by sammydavis »

I am going to plant new roses into a new flower bed soon and wondered when the right time for pruning is here in Cyprus? Also advice on how to keep aphids at bay please.

Medjoul1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Pruning roses

•   Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Medjoul1 »

Hi sammydavis,
When I moved here I was told "you will never grow roses here in Cyprus" but they have proved to be among the most succesful plants/trees in the garden, surviving years of neglect and only receiving sporadic waterings from the washing up bowl while we were coming and going. Since then I've added more fragrant bushes and these are doing well. I find that they get a regular pruning as we cut the stems as long as possible to bring the flowers indoors and to date they are about the only things in the garden that have never been troubled by aphids. If aphids did appear I would first try brushing them every day but if they persisted I would probably give them a blast of fruit fly spray and if they still persist take a sample of the offenders to Meditteranean Gardener at Alsancak.
I prune down by half around end of November and in Feb/March cut down to a dormant bud that will grow in the direction I want and remove any dead or weak stems.
Hope this helps, others may have other ideas but its worked for me so far.
Good luck,
Medjool

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

I agree with all of that. I must admit that I have never heard that roses don't grow here and so many people have them in their garden. I also find they are so easy to propagate here. When I prune them -same as Medjoul - I often take a healthy looking 'stick' from the prunings, cut of the leaves and push it in the earth of a flowerbox that I keep ready for the purpose.

sammydavis
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Post by sammydavis »

Thank you so much, all very helpful

Alexmar
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Alexmar »

Hello Sammy,

In my experience, the best time to prune roses in Cyprus woud be February - when the buds are "swelling", but before they sprout. here is a good guide: how to prune roses. And best way how to ged rid of aphids is to ged rid of ants, because ants protect them.

All the best

artshenry
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Post by artshenry »

Would you guys care to explain how you manage your rose bushes? I have one and have no clue how to keep it looking nice. I don't do anything to it, but I'm sure I could get it turned around with a little guidance.

sammydavis
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Post by sammydavis »

Caring for roses out here is trial and error. Rust has been a worry at times but there is a spray for this also aphids. I dead head occasionally and cut back in say Feb. Oddly the bushes you see locally seem better just left without anything being done!

Return to “GARDENING - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”