Find out about anything to do with gardens, flowers and plants

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Frangipani Trees not thriving

•   Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

Hi I wonder if anyone can offer any advice please? I was growing these trees in pots prior to moving to our current house, they did very well & we had lots of flowers. However this is their 3rd summer of being in the ground & although the pink ones flowered the first year, last year & this year the leaves are only just poking through & do not want to grow any more let alone flower!
The white ones are not doing great but they are a lot better & have small flowers on them.
They are my favourite trees & I would love them to do well in the garden - help please!

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Frangipani Trees not thriving

•   Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

Yes they do seem to be very late this year, several have just started to bud now

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

Thanks but were yours ok last year mine did not get past the just emerging leaves stage?

pc4854
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Post by pc4854 »

One of my two suddenly died this year and we have had it for more than ten years. This may not be related to your problem but was a very robust tree.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

I've had very variable results with these plants.

We had one planted 12 years ago, and it did very little for about 5 years, so we moved it, and it did improve a little.

2 Years after that, a piece got snapped off, so I just stuck it in a random patch of ground elsewhere in the garden, and it took off like a rocket - it's overtaken the original by about 500%...

I don't know what the answer is, but perhaps one of the garden Centres might cast some light.

There is some advice on an Australian website here

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

I'm very close to the previous poster and our frangipani is 12 years old and in perfect health, flowering very early this year and showing lots of healthy new growth. So I have no idea what might be wrong. I know these plants are usually very hardy and survive for many weeks even when you cut them down.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

Although I feel spiritually close to the previous poster, I was referring to PC4854 who I am close to both spiritually and physically. Caley butted in!

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Oooooh!!

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

Hello guys I was not expecting replies detailing your intimate relationships but it sounds like these trees are temperamental at the best of times. They used to do very well in pots at our previous house so I am beginning to wonder if I should have just left them in them although they can grow into massive trees.
Keith have read the Australian article & wonder if maybe our soil is not free draining enough although the one in a raised bed is not doing any better really - it's a mystery!

Return to “GARDENING - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”