Need some expert advice on roses please??

Find out about anything to do with gardens, flowers and plants

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Need some expert advice on roses please??

•   Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

Hi my climbing roses look very sick indeed is there anybody who could please come & advise me what to do with them?
I am in Ozankoy & would be happy to pay expenses/provide tea/coffee/alcohol
Please pm or phone 0533 8673286
Thanks

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Need some expert advice on roses please??

•   Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

All I can say, that this seems to be always the worst time for roses when we've had a very long dry summer. I'm pruning my roses now. just a bit to get rid of any really spindly or dead looking stuff and also anything that has grown very tall. The proper job I'm doing in late February. If you are not sure about roses altogether, it's best to get somebody to show you. Unfortunately I live too far away - Dipkarpaz.
Any cut,healthy looking stems, like the very tall stems, I cut to about 20cm/8'', I take most of the leaves off and stick them in a large flower pot, that I keep for this purpose. Some die, some survive, last year I got 5 new little rose bushes, this year 2 so far.
I just realised you asked specifically for climbing roses, I still think pruning now to take away any dead branches and a bit of a tidy up is good now.

While looking on the internet, I found this website - https://gardenclubofcyprus.com/
so interesting - especially the pdf download of 'Gardens to visit in Cyprus'
I have never heard of ' Green Heights Park, Girne (Kyrenia – North Cyprus) ' or ' The Gardens of Babel in Lapta (North Cyprus) '

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

Thanks for your reply, yes I realise they have endured a long hot summer but they were not good at the beginning of it either!
As it is the 3rd year they have been planted, they are expensive David Austin ones from UK & I have never had climbing roses before I need some expert help to hopefully get some nice flowers next year.
Have a nice evening.

Philoz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Philoz »

My late father grew roses to a high standard. he said you need horse s**t to grow them properly-you need to prune them down to nothing in the winter and dress them with rotted (not fresh) horse poo-I remember him chasing the 'rag and bone ' man down the road daily with a bucket in his hand.
I'm not a gardener personally but I hope this helps.

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

Thanks for your input Philoz but I do not think you should cut climbing roses down to the ground otherwise they would never reach the height they are supposed to!
The twice we have had manure delivered here (probably sheep/goat) it has resulted in a major tick infestation which necessitated professional spraying. The second time they were marching up the walls inside the house so we are not going down that route again it makes my flesh crawl juset thinking about it several years on!

Kath
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Kath »

Climbers or rambler. With my ramblers I take out anything that has flowered and leave the new growth to take over next year. My climbers when I dead head I take back to the next healthy looking node and cut out anything weak and spindly.Can you get top rose dressing over here?
I am not an expert but some of my roses are over 20 years old - they are however in the U.K.

Return to “GARDENING - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”