Find out about anything to do with gardens, flowers and plants

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Where to buy bulbs

•   Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

I would like to buy some spring bulbs to brighten a bed & a couple of pots can any member recommend where I should go please?

nginea
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Where to buy bulbs

•   Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Post by nginea »

Have wasted a lot of money on bulbs for the garden. The first year they flower but after that only leaves. The bulbs are not native of Cyprus and generally come from the Netherlands. I think the problem is they need a frost before the spring then nature can take its course. I have both tried leaving them in the ground and removing them to dry and replanting but no succes. I got most of mine from Eminaga garden centre. The following year they did not have any, maybe they did not have any success either. Best of luck.

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

Thanks for your reply I also have not had any luck with bulbs purchased here, UK & in the South. Some have not even flowered the first year.
I think tulips are native to Turkey as it is their national flower but as I am not particularly fond of them have never tried them. I would need a dwarf variety for pots.
Maybe I will just buy some cyclamen & narcissi when they are sold in flower but obviously this is an expensive option!

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Listening to Radio 4 and discussing bulbs less than half the crop this year in the uk due to winter beast from the east and summer drought
so the ones that are produced will not be the best
They also said spuds onions and carrots equally badly effected

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

Thank you but we are in TRNC where the weather is reasonably consistent from year to year.

Return to “GARDENING - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”