Find out about anything to do with gardens, flowers and plants

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Kingstonkelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Pakistani night plant

•   Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Kingstonkelly »

We have been to Northern Cyprus several times and love the evening smell of the Pakistani Night plant.

We are having difficulty sourcing it in the UK. We are coming to Northern Cyprus again for approx 3 weeks in September this year (2019).

Can anyone please advise where we could get a plant or seeds from when we come over. We are staying at Alsancak.
Also would it survive in the North of England

jimm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Pakistani night plant

•   Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Post by jimm »

you should check first if they are allowed in the UK, remember Japanese knot weed , that is now out of control and causing mayhem

Medjoul1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Medjoul1 »

Hi Kingstonkelly,

I bought one of mine from Uzun Garden centre on the mountain side of the main road in Alsancak. It flowers multiple times through the season if given a light prune after flowering has finished. I have also had a 50% success rate with cuttings taken in early april.

Kingstonkelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Kingstonkelly »

Thank you for your help Medjoul1
Will try there when we come in September.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

I know of one that made the Journey to Telford a few years back, it arrived in the April and flowered in the September then sadly the snow/frost killed it later in the year - RIP! It was a nice little plant as no seeds were found to attempt the journey. Two years later, after a successful night out in a pub in Harrogate, I was wandering back to my B&B and smelt that unmistakable odour of Pakistani night - this was in the August time - but I never put the ideas together in my head and left the next day. Point is there was one there!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

If you have a greenhouse or conservatory, grow one in a big pot, prune it well each year to keep it a manageable size. move it indoors and outdoors as the seasons demand. It works!! I grew mine from a cutting, here in Dipkarpaz and would be happy to grow one for you.

Return to “GARDENING - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”