Find out about anything to do with gardens, flowers and plants

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Hammerhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Hibiscus fungi

•   Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Hammerhead »

I planted a small hibiscus and it was doing well but it seems to have a fingi on the buds and some go yellow and drop off, any of the green fingered members know what I can treat it with,thankyou
The fungi is white

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Hibiscus fungi

•   Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

It sounds like 'pamuk bit' - cotton mite.

Cut off and burn all affected growth, do not let it fall onto the ground as the spores will contaminate the soil!

Your local garden centre or the feed merchant next to Roadhouse in Alsancak will sell you stuff to spray with if you tell them 'pamuk bit' (or take in an affected twig).

Spray the plant thoroughly and spray everything else in your garden, 'cos it spreads like wildfire. Repeat after 10 days, then once a month until the end of summer.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

Bloomin' ell Keith that's a bit drastic innit? We spray it with a dedicated chemical that you can get in the garden centre in Girne on the same side of the road as the hospital. It stinks a bit but it works. I don't think you can eradicate it completely unless you use a flame thrower as Keith suggests but the wet weather we can look forward to soon, will get rid of it. It doesn't just affect hibisci, it can affect hedges and we have had it on lantana, though I believe hibiscus is its favourite.

Hilltop
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Hilltop »

Is this the same pain in the a*** that I have been dealing with for the last few summers, a small white beastie that I had diagnosed as Mealie Bug? I wash affected plants with a water spray whenever it looks to be getting a grip.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Bloomin' ell Keith that's a bit drastic innit?
"All or Nowt", that's me...

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

I won't cross your path on a dark night, that's for sure!

Yes it is mealy bug or pamuk bocek (burchek) in turkish which means cotton beetle, or bug.

OliveTim
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Post by OliveTim »

Its good to avoid chemicals for the health of birds and the environment.

If its white and looks like Lichen, the answer is to put a squirt of fairy liquid into a 1 litre sprayer and saturate it. This removes the bugs protective wax so the sun and birds can get them.
A more costly method is to spray with 100% proof alcohol. Supermarkets sell it in 70cl bottles for around £3.

Hope this help....

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

frontalman wrote:Bloomin' ell Keith that's a bit drastic innit? We spray it with a dedicated chemical that you can get in the garden centre in Girne on the same side of the road as the hospital. It stinks a bit but it works. I don't think you can eradicate it completely unless you use a flame thrower as Keith suggests but the wet weather we can look forward to soon, will get rid of it. It doesn't just affect hibisci, it can affect hedges and we have had it on lantana, though I believe hibiscus is its favourite.
Agree. Earlier this year we took a sample leaf off our bougainvillea which was looking very sad into the little shop near the hospital and the man knew exactly what it was. Gave us the chemical......mixed with water and sprayed ....lots. Three months later and things looking much better.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

You stick with me, Posh..........anything you're not sure about

Return to “GARDENING - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”