Find out about anything to do with gardens, flowers and plants

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Growing an Avocado plant

•   Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

My next door neighbour has the greenest fingers I know and an extremely complicated watering system covering the whole garden. Last week she was getting into a taxi to go back to Ukraine for a few months, suddenly she let out a cry, ran back into garden and shoved an avocado plant at me, with instructions to keep it alive!! I've Googled the question and although there is masses of stuff, nothing seems to be at the stage this plant is at. Anyone here been successful.?

It's in quite a small pot, has grown to about 2ft6in tall, its staked and healthy looking. Google gives all sorts of information, but I need to know how much water a plant this size needs, and how often and should I keep it out of sun all the time or in full sun. We don't seem to have "partial sun" at our place. I suspect I'll need to repot it before long, but into what seems to vary, and so does type of compost.

I've little if any success with growing them in the past (I did once manage to grown one about 6ins in the top of a milk bottle) and would like to keep it alive for my neighbour.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Growing an Avocado plant

•   Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

I do hope that you get some useful advice Sophie. Anything, other than trees just die on me. Luckily for me, the pink geraniums, planted against my wishes died through complete non watering. Unfortunately spikey plants still grow, but don't have so many.

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

My wife has grown a few. 2 are about 5ft tall now.
Plenty water. No direct sun. Until fully established

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Mimi2, thanks for that. Not sure what constitutes "fully established" - would you think 2ft 6ins is established"? Pot is about 8ins high and 7ins across, so think I'll have to move it fairly soon. I've asked a couple of garden centres re potting compost and to be honest they didn't seem to know, so I guess I'll just buy a bag of whatever.

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

Sophie yes 2ft 6in good.
My wife uses mix of local bought compost & goat poop

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

We prefer prawns and a little sauce - oh ....

Sorry. Thought we were still in the hedgehog section.

Patara29
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Patara29 »

Here is a link to RHS advice;

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=957

Catlover
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Catlover »

Depending on how long your friend is away, I would suggest leaving it the pot it is in currently.
When you move it, re-pot it, you have to be very careful not to damage or touch the roots.
As mentioned in an earlier post, shaded area and regularly water it but ensure it has good drainage.

Good luck, never easy when people leave you with a prized possession expecting you to keep it alive.
You will be fine don't worry :+1:)

Bethany
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Bethany »

It takes 11 years to grow an avocado and fruit will not be true, may taste quite awful UNLESS you graft it with another avocado tree. Also they do not like full sun so trunks need to be protected. Good luck

Return to “GARDENING - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”