Girne's shopkeepers complain about "all inclusive" hotels

Need to book an Hotel in the TRNC? Ask members about their experiences and recommendations.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

Girne's shopkeepers complain about "all inclusive" hotels

•   Message 1 of 3 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

In today's Kıbrıs newspaper http://www.haberkktc.com/haber/siftah-yok-42389.html it writes that Girne's shopkeepers and traders say they are struggling to make a living, despite the fact that tourism here is currently going through a very good spell. Many of them put the problem down to the "all inclusive" package holidays at the hotels and resorts in and around Girne: Kebab Shop owner, Hikmet Aygüner told the newspaper "In the hotels, they sell souvenirs and clothes. And with the all included deal they even give mid-day meals". Shop assistant Uğur Töle said "Last week there were 4500 Austrian youngsters here in Cyprus, and not one of them came to the çarşı"
Attachments
siftah-yok-42389.jpg

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Girne's shopkeepers complain about "all inclusive" hotel

•   Message 2 of 3 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

I didn't write the article, but could have done because so many shop owners, restaurants, etc, etc are saying the same thing. The hotels are getting the trade and keeping it. Good business acumen for them, but no value to the wider community and economy. Shame.
Maid Marion of Malatya
'Plan as if you will live for ever, but live each day as if it is your last.'

ozonkoyboy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Girne's shopkeepers complain about "all inclusive" hotel

•   Message 3 of 3 in Discussion

Post by ozonkoyboy »

I agree with Marion, but it also has a lot could be to do with the cost of flights to the TRC,
My friend last year while waiting for his apartment to be finished had to come out to choose the fixtures & fittings, they got a 10 day all inclusive for 2 adults at the Pia Bella cheaper that the flight would have cost
I do feel for the shop owners but again like in the UK if people go self catering as there are also a lot of villas for rent, they will always go to the supermarket, but the shop keepers don't do themselfs favours most of the time there are no price tags on the shelf items, so people are wary of being overcharged, also
because of the world recesion holiday makers are probably on a tight budget so all inclusive makes sense
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination”

Return to “HOTELS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”