Garanti bank problems.

All to do with money - Banks, Insurance, Savings, Exchange Rates...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

archie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Garanti bank problems.

•   Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Post by archie »

My wife and myself have had a joint bank account with Garanti bank for 10 years, tried to get cash from Garanti machine two weeks ago and took my card. Went to bank and they said come back in two weeks to get card back. Went back yesterday and told they wanted my passport and a muktars letter to confirm my address, which i did. Went back today to collect my card and told i must bring my wife with me, went and got the wife and went back. The bank said they have cancelled both our cards and they will only give one card to each account and that has to be the main account holder which is my wife, even if you have joint accounts. So you cant have a card for each person in a joint account.
Will be changing banks soon.

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Garanti bank problems.

•   Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

That sounds absolutely crazy have you spoken to the Manager?

WotNoDeeds
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Post by WotNoDeeds »

No point in joint account then ? move your money quick.

archie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Post by archie »

We spoke to the manager and they phoned head office and they confirmed it to me.

Teatime101
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Teatime101 »

Sorry to hear that. İ bank with Garanti , işbank and Ziraat. Ziraat is a public turkish bank(very large). Generally all 3 are very large banks in Turkey. İf you cant resolve your problems and you will switch banks i do NOT recommend local banks as they dont have a central banking mechanism that prints money like mainland Turkey central bank does. Think... İtalian banks going bankrupt and not being able to receive bailout from Germany.... sort of.. because they are in Euro. Good luck fella

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

It's not a good idea to have a large amount of cash in any Turkish bank at the moment.

There is a very real risk of capital controls.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

My Guess is that many TRNC banks are currently under funded and resourced. The current boom in TRNC construction is putting pressure on resources. Investment from overseas is at a low given the slowing of foreign nationals moving to TRNC.
If you have significant funds in any TRNC bank then remember it is that money that is financing loans to the boom time builders.
The Guarantee system that is preached will have little worth in the event ( unlikely) of a collapse.

As most do spread the risk and keep accounts active. Banks that are secured in Turkey are favoured though the unrecognised status of the region represents a clear risk.

If you use a bank in the TRNC you are indeed an investor in the TRNC. Be aware and content with that fact.

Return to “FINANCE - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”