best UK bank account to use here in TRNC

All to do with money - Banks, Insurance, Savings, Exchange Rates...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

jazzdolly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

best UK bank account to use here in TRNC

•   Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Post by jazzdolly »

Hi!

I'm looking for advice please. I am going to use an account card from the UK to withdraw money here in TRNC.

Please would you advise which bank debit card is easiest to use when withdrawing money. The HSBC is soon to close and I am going to UK to set up payments into alternative account.

Ideally no fees from UK when taking money out...(or is this too much to ask!) and the card to be recognised in a few different machines which ideally I can use 6tl charges!

Is this possible? What are your experiences with your banks?

Stephanie

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: best UK bank account to use here in TRNC

•   Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

Nationwide flexaccount works for us, no charges for withdrawing sterling from Garanti, TEB and HSBC. Up to £500 per card per day.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

My Cahoot card (Santander Bank) currently allows me to draw Sterling from Garanti, TEB and HSBC ATMs in TRNC without any charges at all.

I don't have an account with any of those 3 Banks.

It seems likely that when the TRNC branch of HSBC is taken over by Albank, that the facility will be withdrawn by them, but there is no solid information on that to date, so far as I am aware...

jazzdolly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Post by jazzdolly »

Keith, I am an HSBC TR customer and they told me things will change over in November...

Thanks. I'm getting me one of those!!

blueparrot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Post by blueparrot »

I have an ordinary current account with HSBC UK.

They told me that, when I am abroad, I can use my debit card to withdraw sterling from ATMs (not just HSBC ATMs but those of other banks), and I will not be charged by HSBC for this. I made double-sure the phone rep understood my question, and she insisted there would be no charge by HSBC.

This is recent information (July 2017). I have not tested it yet. I would be interested to know if anyone has heard otherwise or had a different experience with debit cards from HSBC UK.

MrsD
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Post by MrsD »

I have an account with HSBC in the UK and I use my debit card to withdraw sterling here with no fees. I can draw £1,000 per day from HSBC cash machines and £800 per day from Garanti Machines, I have not tried any others.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

blueparrot wrote:I have an ordinary current account with HSBC UK.

They told me that, when I am abroad, I can use my debit card to withdraw sterling from ATMs (not just HSBC ATMs but those of other banks), and I will not be charged by HSBC for this. I made double-sure the phone rep understood my question, and she insisted there would be no charge by HSBC.

This is recent information (July 2017). I have not tested it yet. I would be interested to know if anyone has heard otherwise or had a different experience with debit cards from HSBC UK.
That sounds correct to me - but although your UK HSBC account will not charge you, be aware that using the ATM machines of some banks will incur a charge - currently I am aware of Garanti and TEB (as well as HSBC) ATMs which do NOT charge for Sterling withdrawals, if anyone knows of any others, I would be pleased to hear about them

Return to “FINANCE - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”