HSBC transfer to Albank

All to do with money - Banks, Insurance, Savings, Exchange Rates...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

maimee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

HSBC transfer to Albank

•   Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Post by maimee »

Hi, Just had notice that HSBC is transferring to Albank. Have been advised to open an account there but as not in TRNC anymore think that might be impossible. I have accounts at Creditwest and Capital Bank so might consider transferring to them. Anyone else affected by this and what have you decided to do?

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: HSBC transfer to Albank

•   Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

Transfer to either, having checked on their interest rates.

tingtang
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

Post by tingtang »

A letter from HSBC has been sent to my uk address. It is in Turkish and I can only presume it is notification of the change of ownership of HSBC assets ,- they have certainly taken their time! If anyone has had the letter translated I wonder if there is any actual news and info on the change, it certainly has been badly handled when the bank staff/ Manager themselves have been kept in the dark, no wonder everyone is deserting. Admittedly I have not visited my branch in Gazi in the last couple of weeks but I doubt they know anything new beyond the new ownership taking place on 17th November.

I see no need for haste in changing to another banker, I will wait and see what Albank have to offer. I presently have no knowledge of Albank other than they are part of Credit West group, but then I have no knowledge of any other banks here either. Can anyone advise current interest rates offered on deposit accounts by other banks? - HSBC didn't pay very much but I chose them initially as a name that I knew and could trust, now I am feeling somewhere between the devil and the deep blue sea.

tt.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.

maimee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

Post by maimee »

Hi tt,

Capital Bank have offered me 12% on 6 months and Creditwest 10% for 6 months. The only problem I have is that the only way for me to transfer it is via IBAN which no one knows how much I'll be charged for! If you're in TRNC you can use UBAN which only costs 10 YTL.

Hope this helps you.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

maimee, any bank should be able to tell you what charge it will raise on an IBAN transfer and/or any other charges a 3rd party bank will incur if necessary.

maimee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

Post by maimee »

Hi Tom, you'd think so wouldn't you. At least Capital have offered to refund any charges from their end.

tingtang
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

Post by tingtang »

Thanks for the info Maimee although I do confess that interest rates of 12/10% make me rather nervous, I can see why you are not transferring your funds back to UK with the miserable interest rates available there.

Heaven help those poor souls who need to borrow from those Turkish banks.

tt.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

[quote="tingtang"]Thanks for the info Maimee although I do confess that interest rates of 12/10% make me rather nervous, I can see why you are not transferring your funds back to UK with the miserable interest rates available there.

Heaven help those poor souls who need to borrow from those Turkish banks.

tt. Those rates are for TL accounts. GBP rate in Capitol is 4%, at least it was last week. The TRNC Government Central Bank guarantees €20K per account if the bank collapses (supposedly).

annettewebb
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

Post by annettewebb »

Hi we bank with the HSBC in Girne as well as back in the U.K.
We were also concerned about the lack of information forthcoming from the bank regarding the Albank transfer, with this in mind we popped in to branch where we spoke to 'Bilge' in the premier dept , she confirmed to us that most of the current staff are transferring to the new brand and that the good interest rates we currently receive will be as good or better as they will be encouraging new customers to bank or transfer to them. New cards will be issued to HSBC customers who are transferring from 17th November for collection.

All investments or bonds with HSBC need to be closed by 13 November

Albank currently has a branch in Lapta as well as taking over all TRNC HSBC branches & plan to open a new branch in Catalkoy in 2018

I hope that makes a little more sense for us current HSBC customers

tingtang
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

Post by tingtang »

Thank you for the info annette, for some reason, although you posted on Monday, the 'Topic reply notification' from Kibcom only reached my mailbox yesterday. Actually I went to my branch in Gazi on Wednesday - DOH - it was a National Holiday, I seem to have a habit of doing that - i really must make a list of bank holidays and stick it on the side of the Fridge!.

The staff members at my branch are are mere skeleton of what they were but it is encouraging to know that there will b some continuity as the remaining few have excellent English language skills. I shall see what is to be learned on Monday and, hopefully will be able to obtain 'Sterling' from the ATM in the future..

tt.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

A friend had an email from HSBC saying the take over has been delayed no reason given.

tingtang
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

Post by tingtang »

What a shambles this transfer of asserts has been. It must be getting on 12 months since HSBC decided to cease business in Turkey and several months since they found a buyer in Albank. Some six weeks ago I was advised that take over date was to be 17th November when we get new debit cards and terms of business.

As Deniz 1 mentions above it didn't happen. I went to HSBC yesterday, the Staff were all sitting and chatting together and I was told the systems were down so I could not even discover my balance, transfer funds between accounts nor use the cash machine. leaving me bereft of cash. Asking when the system would resume they didn't know, sjhrug of the shoulders 'Maybe this afternoon'!.

It appears to be an Admin problem rather than a system fault as the manager of another bank I called at to ascertain their T&C', benefits etc was aware of the new banks problems.

That's me done with this crowd having totally lost confidence considering the lack of information along the way, the amount of time they have had to organise the transfer, they couldn't organise a kneesup at a party. I was otherwise committed today but tomorrow morning I shall first telephone to see if they can do business rather than waste a further 20km round trip and just hope it will not take a deal of time to close my accounts and obtain my funds.

tt.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

A friend recently closed her accounts and was told she would have to wait to get her cash. As she wanted it then and there she refused to move until she got it. Not out normal procedure she was told. Tough she said she got it!

jules_84
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Post by jules_84 »

Actually theres this London born Cypriot chap in the new branch of the Capital Bank opposite Lemar in Karakum. His name is Mustafa Kemal..Fluent English, very helpful

teatime
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

Post by teatime »

Are their cash machines still giving out sterling?

KIRTON
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Post by KIRTON »

Could anyone tell me if any direct debits I had with HSBC bank will automatically transfer over to Albank

Also does anyone have a telephone number for Albank in Girne

Thanks

Return to “FINANCE - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”