Sterling from the ATM(nationwide card problem)

All to do with money - Banks, Insurance, Savings, Exchange Rates...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

susiesusie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Sterling from the ATM(nationwide card problem)

•   Message 1 of 21 in Discussion

Post by susiesusie »

Have not been able to get sterling out of t e.b. bank since the weekend keeps saying reached limit .
Anyone else has this with t.e.b bank. Have they stopped letting you use the nationwide card due to No fees?.
Just a thought. Can use card in other a.t.m s but get charges %2,5 .

Cinderella
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Sterling from the ATM(nationwide card problem)

•   Message 2 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Cinderella »

Hi,Withdrew Sterling a few days ago from A.T.M.at Lemar`s in Karakum/Girne.using my Nationwide card.No problem,no charge.Hope this helps.Regards.

Studleyjupiter
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Studleyjupiter »

Yes I had the same problem today trying to withdraw sterling from Garanti bank .They are now charging 2.5% for sterling withdrawals.I was using a nationwide flex debit card but would imagine that they are charging the same to all non TRNC bank issued cards.
If anybody has any luck with another banks ATM still being able to withdraw sterling without any ATM charges please let us know.
Many thanks
SJ

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

I took some out from Garanti today from Nationwide and there was no charge.

Studleyjupiter
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Studleyjupiter »

Which Atm or grant branch was that from.?

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

If you are asking me the one in Catalkoy bu thr Fir and leather shop.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 21 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Not with the Nationwide, but I suspect they are now on the same plain as those of us with other UK banks. If memory serves, Nationwide have not charged the 2.5% in the past. Willing to be corrected if I'm wrong!!!

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 8 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Is it actually Nationwide who are charging 2.5% or the TRNC Bank / Machine operator?

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

I checked Nationwide's web site this afternoon and it stated they don't charge but the bank you use may. Not sure how current that info is though.

oldham
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 21 in Discussion

Post by oldham »

I went to the Garanti ATM at Lemar on Wednesday and they are charging 2.5% on any Sterling withdrawal. That was with my Halifax Debit card, which I have never been charged for in the past, apart from the £1.50 transaction fee imposed by the Halifax.

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Dalartokat »

If you ever get tired one day of life, take a rest, lean your back on the stone, not people. Cold but safe...

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 12 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Dalartokat wrote:Might explain..........https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/7405246/ ... -increase/
I don't think that that is the reason.

Users of other cards are also affected.

The article states that the Nationwide cards which are commonly used here to withdraw Sterling (Flex, etc.) are not affected by the 0.75% increase.

It appears that the extra charge (2.5%) is being imposed by the ATM owner/operator.

Studleyjupiter
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Studleyjupiter »

I spoke to my friend who is the manager at my local Nationwide branch in UK and they confirmed that it was definitely not the Nationwide imposing the charge.I also spoke to the Garaanti customer manager in Girne who confirmed that it was them that had recently ie 1 week ago imposed the charge on all foreign cards.
I used TEB and Turkey IS Bankomat ATM yesterday to withdraw GBP with no charges.

Studleyjupiter
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Studleyjupiter »

The sun article is relevant to Flex cards being used to withdraw cash in NON -STERLING transactions ie foreign exchange Euro Dollar YTL etc......They do not impose any charge on withdrawing sterling GBP from an ATM abroad or obviously in the UK.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Studleyjupiter wrote:I spoke to my friend who is the manager at my local Nationwide branch in UK and they confirmed that it was definitely not the Nationwide imposing the charge.I also spoke to the Garaanti customer manager in Girne who confirmed that it was them that had recently ie 1 week ago imposed the charge on all foreign cards.
I used TEB and Turkey IS Bankomat ATM yesterday to withdraw GBP with no charges.

Where was that? I always use the Garanti at either the Fir and Leather shop in Catalkoy or the one at the big Lemar in Girne. I must have just escaped the charges as I wasn't charged the other day when people are saying they were. So where would the nearest TEB be in the Catalkoy Girne area?

Studleyjupiter
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Studleyjupiter »

The TEB was in the row of ATM'S in front of the Lemar car park in karakoum.
The Tirkiye IS Bancomat was the one next to the main car park above the castle in Girne town centre next to the Grant ATM. ....I tried a few garanti ATM'S yesterday and they a said the transaction would incur a 2.5% charge is £7.50 on £300.00.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Thanks for that most helpful. It doesn't matter how much you draw out though does it? I always take the maximum £500 each time to save trips but the charge will still be the same. Good enough reason to change ATM's then.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 21 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Studleyjupiter wrote:I spoke to my friend who is the manager at my local Nationwide branch in UK and they confirmed that it was definitely not the Nationwide imposing the charge.I also spoke to the Garaanti customer manager in Girne who confirmed that it was them that had recently ie 1 week ago imposed the charge on all foreign cards.
Ever thought we should just pin money to ourselves and run up and down the street allowing them to pick money off of us?

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Ever thought we should just pin money to ourselves and run up and down the street allowing them to pick money off of us?
Err no not really! Here is an idea though you try it and let us all know how it goes.

susiesusie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 21 in Discussion

Post by susiesusie »

Just been to t.e.b in girne and the one at karakum lemar. Keeps saying something in Turkish about a limit. Tried taking £200 but still no luck. Is bank at karakum has no sterling . Went to another isbank and no problem !. Seems therefore t.e.b will not give sterling anymore

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

That could be because there has been a run on Sterling due to the issue with Garanti.

Return to “FINANCE - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”