Problems with Bank transfer from UK to TRNC

All to do with money - Banks, Insurance, Savings, Exchange Rates...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

IPA
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Problems with Bank transfer from UK to TRNC

•   Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Post by IPA »

Hello, I am wondering if anyone else has problems with Bank transfer from UK to TRNC? Ive been making regular transfers in the last 2 years with no problems. After trying 2x transfer the money was returned to UK bank minus 10 GBP. UK bank says the Turkish clearing bank T. Vakif Bank TAO rejected transfer because (my) name and address were different. Not true and im completely baffled. Some friends recommend trying Transferwise instead but Im not so keen. Any help would be appreciated ((W\))

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

Re: Problems with Bank transfer from UK to TRNC

•   Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

I had same problem, it was a nightmare and took a long time for money to fall back into my account, approx 6 weeks.
I was told when transferring money to your TRNC account you have to put "Vakif Bank" for the name of Bank to be Paid. (I am looking for correspondence from my TRNC bank to give you exact details.) In the Message box at bottom of page you enter your name, TRNC Bank, and account number. Then, immediately contact your bank to chase transaction with Vakif Bank.
It's crazy! Lost around £50 in the process. I now try and only use Monzo Prepaid card to bring money over, and use the card to make 90% of purchases. will not use banks until they sort their act out.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

paul90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Post by paul90 »

I regularly transfer from TSB to Iktisat with no problems and money is in the Iktisat account in less than 24 hours.

Yes, the bank name should be Turkiye Vakiflar with their Ankara address.
Beneficiary name is Kibris Iktisat Bankasi with their Lefkosa address.
Reference box contains my account number and name.
IBAN box is the IBAN for my account.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

I use transferwise, brilliant! No probs at all. Flat fee of £10.50 if doing by debit card or 7.50 if straight from bank account. You are told how long it will take, quickest I got was 2 hours from hsbc acc to garati tl account. Excellent rate of exchange set at time of transaction and guaranteed at that rate. So easy, just need iban for tl account. Notifications by email in progress. Takes longer if over weekend, but you know before you accept exactly how long and exactly how much to expect.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Never used them but I hear good things about transferwise.
If the regular payments are pension or similar a Revolut Card might be a good option

IPA
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

Post by IPA »

Thanks for the great advice

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

I sent a swift this week to garanti arrived in three hours!

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

mrsgee wrote:
Fri 15 Jan 2021 6:56 am
I use transferwise, brilliant! No probs at all. Flat fee of £10.50 if doing by debit card or 7.50 if straight from bank account. You are told how long it will take, quickest I got was 2 hours from hsbc acc to garati tl account. Excellent rate of exchange set at time of transaction and guaranteed at that rate. So easy, just need iban for tl account. Notifications by email in progress. Takes longer if over weekend, but you know before you accept exactly how long and exactly how much to expect.
I have used Lloyds to send money to my bank here. Lloyds charge a flat fee of £9 which is very good but then other banks seem to charge on the way over plus you have to pay to pay into the bank account here. So Mrsgee do your bank charge to put the money into your account when you use Transferwise please?

I have a Revolut and a Starling card. We use the Revolut for purchases here unless it is for a minimal amount. Starling have no limit on the amount of TL we can withdraw so use that at Capital Bank ATM where there is no fee for TL. As we cannot travel to the UK nor would want to at the moment our usual method of bringing Sterling back with us is out of the question.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Chriswright03 wrote:
Tue 26 Jan 2021 8:20 am
mrsgee wrote:
I have used Lloyds to send money to my bank here. Lloyds charge a flat fee of £9 which is very good but then other banks seem to charge on the way over plus you have to pay to pay into the bank account here. So Mrsgee do your bank charge to put the money into your account when you use Transferwise please?

I have a Revolut and a Starling card. We use the Revolut for purchases here unless it is for a minimal amount. Starling have no limit on the amount of TL we can withdraw so use that at Capital Bank ATM where there is no fee for TL. As we cannot travel to the UK nor would want to at the moment our usual method of bringing Sterling back with us is out of the question.
Chris Wright, the only charge is the one from Transferwise, no other charges unless you use a credit card instead of a debit, for which the usual charges for cash would apply. I find it very convenient, the exchange rate they give is usually better than you get in the change offices. Money goes straight to my TL account, no probs.

Geoff1131
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Geoff1131 »

mrsgee, could i ask. When you use the Transferwise does the money come straight to the TRNC bank account or does it still have to go to the intermediary bank in Turkey first? I live on a small site and we have owners in the UK who are trying to pay site fees for this year, and are obviously having problems as they are not able to visit the island. Many have tried to pay from the UK to their TRNC banks through the usual channels but have had difficulty. This Transferwise could be the answer.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Geoff1131 wrote:
Tue 26 Jan 2021 10:03 am
mrsgee, could i ask. When you use the Transferwise does the money come straight to the TRNC bank account or does it still have to go to the intermediary bank in Turkey first? I live on a small site and we have owners in the UK who are trying to pay site fees for this year, and are obviously having problems as they are not able to visit the island. Many have tried to pay from the UK to their TRNC banks through the usual channels but have had difficulty. This Transferwise could be the answer.
Geoff1131, as far as I can tell, and given one transaction went through within 2 hours, the money goes direct. You have to quote your TRNC Iban number so they can do the transfer. If you go onto their website you will probably find the answers to all your questions. They are based in London and regulated by FCA.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

mrsgee wrote:
Tue 26 Jan 2021 8:57 am
Chriswright03 wrote:
Tue 26 Jan 2021 8:20 am
mrsgee wrote:

Chris Wright, the only charge is the one from Transferwise, no other charges unless you use a credit card instead of a debit, for which the usual charges for cash would apply. I find it very convenient, the exchange rate they give is usually better than you get in the change offices. Money goes straight to my TL account, no probs.
Thanks mrsgee that is very useful to know and I am sure I will be using it in the future.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Well, all I can say is it works for me, each to their own of course, and whatever works for them,

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

Been looking at PayPoint Cyprus but Esentepe isn't listed under Municipalities. Not due yet anyway but thought i'd look into it in case we can't get out before April.

Return to “FINANCE - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”