Drawing cash from ATM with Nationwide Debit card

All to do with money - Banks, Insurance, Savings, Exchange Rates...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Mr Mac
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Drawing cash from ATM with Nationwide Debit card

•   Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Mr Mac »

Hi has anyone had any problems drawing sterling cash with Nationwide Debit card. Have always used this - no problems but yesterday tried TEB and Garanti ATMs and both said ‘Insufficient funds’ which is incorrect!! I rang and spoke to Nationwide who confirmed account all OK, sufficient monies, and card not been blocked by them. So today I went to a shop and used the Nationwide card on a purchase - no problem. I also took another Debit card from another bank and withdrew from TEB no problem! Am stumped! Perhaps a problem with connecting with Nationwide servers?

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Drawing cash from ATM with Nationwide Debit card

•   Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Mr Mac, As another Nationwide user I can probably tell you what the problem is. You will have a limit on the daily amount of cash you can withdraw from any ATM. Let us say that your limit is £500 - like mine - you can not draw your limit as both TAB and others charge you to withdraw sterling (although Nationwide do not impose any charges at all) so if you try to withdraw £500 from a TEB ATM they will also apply a 5% charge which will amount to £525 and therefore more than your daily limit!

For instance, I can only withdraw £460 as my limit as TEB add on 5% as a charge bringing my total withdrawal to £483, below my daily limit of £500 and therefore no trouble. Hope this helps.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Mr Mac
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Mr Mac »

Thanks for your reply Waddo I did hear something about that before, I thought it was if you drew more than the allotted amount for the month. Will try less than £500 tomorrow and see if that will fix it!

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Say Halifax card to Halifax limit £500 a day
Halifax card to say Nat West limit £300
Halifax card to independent cash machine £100 to £250

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

I vaguely remember that there was a limit taking out Sterling by the machines here, as been told that some people couldn't get money at ATM down in Karakum, but I was successful, and it turned out they had been drawn out several hundred pounds over a few days. I cannot remember what the limit was/is.

There is another limit on the ATM's here in that you can only take out 1500TL on a daily basis, before being charged commission. Now whether this triggers commission when you go over the 1500 TL equivalent in Sterling, I haven't a clue, it certainly didn't use to when certain ATM's didn't charge, but who knows now? I use Revolut card, seeing as that's all I am left with at the moment, and take out TL.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

waddo wrote:
Fri 12 Mar 2021 1:52 pm
Mr Mac, As another Nationwide user I can probably tell you what the problem is. You will have a limit on the daily amount of cash you can withdraw from any ATM. Let us say that your limit is £500 - like mine - you can not draw your limit as both TAB and others charge you to withdraw sterling (although Nationwide do not impose any charges at all) so if you try to withdraw £500 from a TEB ATM they will also apply a 5% charge which will amount to £525 and therefore more than your daily limit!

For instance, I can only withdraw £460 as my limit as TEB add on 5% as a charge bringing my total withdrawal to £483, below my daily limit of £500 and therefore no trouble. Hope this helps.
Sometimes the machine only churns out £50 notes, so you may have to draw out £450 for it to work. Happened to me once.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Thats a fact Soner, I missed that, it's so long since I have seen a £50 note from any machine that I am now used to only counting £20's, good spot.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Mr Mac
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Mr Mac »

Update.....yes Waddo you were correct, drew £460 with £23 charges this morning. Why on earth they can’t put a message ‘will exceed daily limit’ or something like that instead of ‘insufficient funds’?

Thank you for your help.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

alphamike wrote:
Fri 12 Mar 2021 3:29 pm
limit on the ATM's here in that you can only take out 1500TL on a daily basis, before being charged commission. Now whether this triggers commission when you go over the 1500 TL equivalent in Sterling, I haven't a clue, it certainly didn't use to when certain ATM's didn't charge, but who knows now? I use Revolut card, seeing as that's all I am left with at the moment, and take out TL.
I generally take out 2000 TL , depending on the exchange rate, on our Revolut cards with no problems or charges

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Thanks ETS, will give it a try next time I withdraw cash.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Not forgetting that Revolut have a limit of £200 per month on ATM withdrawals. Starling have only a daily limit of £300.

Return to “FINANCE - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”