Near East Health Insurance Policies - problems

All to do with money - Banks, Insurance, Savings, Exchange Rates...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

LizA
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Near East Health Insurance Policies - problems

•   Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Post by LizA »

I am interested to know if anyone has had unexpected substantial monthly policy increases this year?
Or encountered any other anomalies regarding financial issues in the past?
Most of us are on very limited pensions, and although we take our health very seriously - especially when getting older, this is a major chunk from our budget!

Last year I had cover on the their plan 5. It is a hefty cost of TL. 1308 per month. (8 months payments per year). I paid it as their age limit for their policies is 64 and I had no other cover here.

As it was my first cover here I had a few health checks and scans etc so I could assess my overall health levels, and also simultaneously hopefully become a low-risk patient! (My assumption was that with regular tests you could pick up any weaknesses fast to remain in optimal health).

All that came back was a tendency to hypothyroidism - for which I now take very low dose tablets.

On renewing my policy this month, the cost suddenly increased exponentially from TL.1308 to TL.1892 per month.
After the initial shock to my system I contacted them requesting the reason for this sudden inexplicable rise.
They wrote back saying that there was an initial 10% reduction of the normal fee for new clients on taking out the policy - of which there was NO mention at the time. So this 10% was now added to the second year renewal cost.
They also said there was another 10% age related increase added due to just turning to age 65.
However, the increase was far more than even the extra 20% added above - both of which were not mentioned during my extensive questions on taking out the policy.
In Europe I am sure this would qualify under the 'mis-selling' category. Please correct me if I am mistaken.
There was no explanation given for the additional increase over and above the 20%

On taking the first renewal payment from my visa they supplied the new policy today at my request for my residence visa application (which I cannot find any method of uploading on to the Ministry site!).
Accompanied with this email was a message saying that they would no longer cover 4 major health items (including the thyroid), for which I independently asked to have preventative tests for!! So what they had actually done is checked all the tests that I had chosen to have (of which I either pay in full or get 20% charges for), and applied them as exclusions to my policy directly out of the blue!
So please tell me what is the whole point of trying to be a responsible citizen by practicing preventative health when you find you are immediately penalized on your next policy renewal for random tests you opted to have?
For information, the check-ups that they offer for men and women are not covered in the insurance policy but I mention them because I feel that had I also opted to benefit from any of them it would not surprise me at all now that these also would be noted on your electronic health records with similar penalties.
I hate to say this but the first thing my family said on explaining what had happened was that it sounds like a 'scam'. To say I am very disappointed would be an under statement. However, I would be very grateful to hear from others of what other private health policies are available - if any.
My motivation for selecting Near East was that I am very grateful to Dr. Turk, who I very much respect, and has helped my family so many times over the years. (Plus he is also open to alternative natural therapies, though no health insurance ever covers them sadly).
I am also aware of ex pats warning others on these forums to watch billing methods of Near East, including discounts which BRS members are entitled to. I feel that transparency for ALL is way overdue!
Caveat emptor
Blessings :-)

Mr Mac
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Near East Health Insurance Policies - problems

•   Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Mr Mac »

LizA I believe you have to purchase the TRNC Health policy for Residency, online. Private policies no longer accepted…..

poppy++1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Post by poppy++1 »

Had health check at Near East Karakum, showed my BRS card, receptionist said discount already given ??????, Don't think so (:Q) as charged the price as on the leaflet.

Doe’s this mean anyone BRS paid member or not have the same discount, think not.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

We have a private Health Insurance policy but have already been told by the provider that when it comes to residency renewal it has to be State Insurance as any other is not accepted.

We are always told that the discount has already been added every time. I also know of another couple who asked about the discount and were told the same and when they asked whoever was on the desk how they knew they were BRS members in the first place because it hadn't been mentioned before they got the shrug.

We have also been told that there is no discount allowed on packages such as well man or woman.

I guess they should be able to produce a proper bill with the price listed and then the discount taken off and a new total but I doubt they will.

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

At the end of the day the hospitals here are businesses, some being much sharper with their charging policy than others.
When we could we went South as we much prefer how the hospitals are run.

LizA
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Post by LizA »

Thank you very much for your replies - they are all very helpful. Just to let you know I was at The Hut today and talking to a man there about this problem. He too has Near East Insurance -and ALSO had a steep rise on his payments this year. So NOT for the reasons I was given, but just a random lump sum addition at their pleasure!!

He also had the state policy - now I know why as they accepted the private policy last year but refuse it this year.

My family have always been very happy with the State hospital treatment - my mum was an in-patient on two occasions. She could not even use her BUPA or travel insurance because for the whole week including medical treatments the bill was 85TL!!

I think I have good reason to cancel the private policy and instead put the funds in a health savings account! Many doctors who work in the State hospitals also work privately - though the Government tried to stop this I am not sure that they succeeded. So I feel we are better to help fund the State hospitals - of which Girne is to get a new once next year I believe.

I hope this thread helps others in future health care decisions. For those requiring operations it would be very helpful to know in advance what the expected costs would be using local hospitals if that is possible?

kedikat2903
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Post by kedikat2903 »

If you want to change policies go for one of the emergency health care ones. They’re cheaper than full insurance but cover a lot of illnesses like strokes, heart attacks, accidents, broken bones etc. They cover you for the emergency treatment until you are stable. The one I have is with Zirve.

Return to “FINANCE - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”