Problem using Cardplus card online abroad

All to do with money - Banks, Insurance, Savings, Exchange Rates...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

magalan
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Problem using Cardplus card online abroad

•   Message 1 of 1 in Discussion

Post by magalan »

I have a Cardplus credit card issued through Creditwest Bank. Recently, while on an extended stay in Thailand, I tried to purchase flight tickets online. When I was transferred to the payment page and entered the Cardplus card number, an identity verification panel opened informing me that a PIN would be sent from Cardplus to the Thai telephone number registered with Cardplus. I should then enter the PIN in the Verification panel and the sale would proceed. However, no PIN was received from Cardplus despite 2 further attempts. I have now been informed that

"It is a problem with the mobile phone providers.
Unfortunately as TRNC is not a recognised country, not all SMS messages are accepted by various mobile providers. They can be seen as ‘Spam’ so are blocked.
CardPlus are aware of this and have been trying for a period of time to resolve this issue.
The SMS messages will be received when sent to a local TRNC phone number, however for other countries ( not just Thailand) the problem is intermittent and ongoing and there currently is no solution"

The reason given above is directly contradicted by the fact that I have had absolutely no problem receiving and using a PIN when accessing Creditwest online banking anywhere in the world. I have spoken to my mobile supplier technical department in Thailand, and they categorically deny blocking SMS messages from TRNC, and also that no SMS messages had been received in connection with the purchase mentioned above.
This means that the Cardplus MasterCard is useless for online purchases around the world, unless you have means of accessing a TRNC phone while you are away.

Has anybody had a similar experience when attempting to use a Cardplus credit card abroad?

Return to “FINANCE - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”