Turkish Airlines!!!

Find out about Flights, Taxi's, Transfers. Let members know what flight deals you managed to get.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Turkish Airlines!!!

•   Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

I am always blowing their trumpet, have travelled with them for years. Not sure what's happened lately, just checked for flight with them for next March to Manchester the prices have shot up! Coupled with that most flights are to Ankara, then to Istanbul, 10-15 hrs back to the UK, may as well look at going from Larnaca again.

jfoggy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Turkish Airlines!!!

•   Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

Post by jfoggy »

Agree with Mollie the cat..travelled with TA for years. Excellent service etc etc however cost of flights Manchester to Ercan next May/Oct increased so much that will be looking to fly into Larnaca. TA what are you doing...why such big increases? Hopefully someone from TA reads these posts and takes heed....lots of faithful
customers will be going elsewhere.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

You are right, we are also going back in May £350 each even if you book now!! Easy jet from Paphos £260 for 2 people. Yes it's a hike down there but for that price.

journey1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

Post by journey1 »

That is strange as I have just checked the Edinburgh - Ercan return flights and they are sitting between £261-277 from May onwards if you book now. Last year they were £249 so, although there is an increase it is minimal. I would have thought the flights from Edinburgh would have been much more as they usually are.

paddywack
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

Post by paddywack »

I have booked Dublin - Ecan 4 weeks from 22nd May £234 on Skyscanner.

cyprusishome
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

Post by cyprusishome »

Molly the Cat,
I have checked Turkish website and the timetable for ECN-IST-MAN is the same as this year.

I believe the costs will largely be affected by the on going high price of oil and the lousy exchange rate for TL. When the exchange rate improves I am sure you will see a reduction in prices.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

I think you are right, I get the price on their web site in TL then have the habit of converting that into Sterling however, it still works out at £346 in March and May, I have not paid more than £260/270 previously. Easy jet at £260 for two people still sounds very inviting to me.

journey1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

Post by journey1 »

Mollie the cat - I understand about the price comparison but remember Easyjet or as we call it Sleasy Jet is just that! Goodbye to free food and drink, free choice of seat and 23 kgs of hold luggage plus you will have a transfer cost. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

paddywack
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

Post by paddywack »

Check Skyscanner, the prices seem to be cheaper than TA website

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

bhx ecn 2013 January through to june return july 11 latest I paid £228 to £240s EXCLUDING easter or spring bank holiday the prices are TA flight prices now 60% higher I flew janand late april return may but was checking prices up to end of June when£280 came in n
Lira has fallen against the dollar but not that much and oil is not that bad
flight with pegasus for when i fancy 'twixt Christmas and new year under £200 each car hire one way uk £50 x2 fuel £50
190 x 2 =360+150=£510 return
compare ta £700 3 hour drive to Stansted ta have price themselves out of it
OR Monarch/Pegasus
BHX Larnaca £185 Erc STAN 180 =365 CAR HIRE AND FUEL ONE WAY £75 =£440 +£30 EXTRA TAXI IN CYPRUS £470 allows cigarets retun

TC Turbo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

Post by TC Turbo »

I Have always been a big fan of THY, they could do no wrong, specially when traveling 12-13 hours non stop.
Just lately they seem to be slipping, my luggage has been misplaced, two years in a row,they did show up the next day, not even an apology, Wifi yes and no. broken seat, snappy attendant. I have to leg it between flights to make it in time, getting to gate 226 is like running a marathon 40 minutes between flights.
I guess I can pay less and go with one of the other airlines. That provide most of the above for free

One more chance, (I have to use up my air miles anyway)..

ozonkoyboy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

Post by ozonkoyboy »

I agree, just booked a flight back from Birmingham to Ercan via Ataturk with a 6 hour stop over and it has cost me £279, what makes it worse it was £198.00 last week
i feel ripped off, But why is it £677 the day before Then £216 the day after I have to come back
I cant understand how they get to these costs
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination”

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Dont know when your £279 is but early Jan is b**** stupid going monarch returning Pegasus instead of BHx ERC saving £200 for 2 and paying for extra seat space

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Out of interest, who do people book through? We have tried skyscanner, and a couple of other well known sites, in the end we went to Ankara travel in town and got a fairly good deal.
When we go on the Turkish Airlines site we cannot get good prices, they appear to be well over the top.

bigOz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

Post by bigOz »

I am surprised at the expectations of some of our friends in this forum because their travel plans with THY have not worked out the way they wished Just a few points worth a mention:

Turkish Airlines is reputed to be the airline that flows to most destinations but one must realise that UK is NOT the centre of the World and no foreign national airliner has any obligations to fly direct to every city in the UK - especially from Ercan in TRNC! Hence indirect long flights to less desired or less popular destinations is quite normal! For example THY is one of the (if not the only one) Airlines that can fly you non-stop from Istanbul to Shanghai (11-14 hrs) in comfort. I would not expect BA to fly me directly from London to Gaziantep, Trabzon or Adana for example! The more stops on the way - higher the costs.

As for flights from Birmingham, I just checked - with the exception of 4 days when the prices range between 347 and 537, the fares vary between 198, 215 and 295... If you are flexible with the days/dates , you can always get a good deal. Flying to Manchester with Easy jet is usually from/to Paphos and not Larnaca (I stand to be corrected on that one). YES it would be a lot cheaper and more direct - but THY do not mind that because as I said before their priorities are with other destinations...

One final piece of advice, always find out about flights direct from THY online booking system and try at different times on different days in advance since the fares DO change according to reservation cancellations and seat availability.

Maisiemoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Maisiemoo »

Easyjet do not fly into Manchester from Larnaca but have started flights from Liverpool and there are some very good prices available. Think it's only 3 times a week though.

journey1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

Post by journey1 »

Well said Big Oz - I am still very delighted that I can fly from Edinburgh to Ercan ( with a change at Istanbul) and at an affordable price not to mention all of the other benefits like food, drink, baggage etc. So long may it continue and I look forward to the day that Scotland is the epicentre of the world! LOL!
cheers

Royalcorpsoftranspor
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Royalcorpsoftranspor »

journey1 wrote:Well said Big Oz - I am still very delighted that I can fly from Edinburgh to Ercan ( with a change at Istanbul) and at an affordable price not to mention all of the other benefits like food, drink, baggage etc. So long may it continue and I look forward to the day that Scotland is the epicentre of the world! LOL!
cheers
That will never happen Lol.
Even though you see black clouds, there is always tomorrow when the sun will shine again

Return to “TRAVEL - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”