Buying insurance to drive in South

Find out about Flights, Taxi's, Transfers. Let members know what flight deals you managed to get.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

6M's
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Buying insurance to drive in South

•   Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Post by 6M's »

Getting conflicting stories as to what time the GC insurance place is open heading North to South in a 'TRNC' reg'd car

The car rental company says closes at 1500 ( not open weekends ) and must pay in Euro

Others say 1900 and you can pay by card ?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Buying insurance to drive in South

•   Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

One of the insurance booths at Metehan is always open until at least 9pm (Holidays excepted) and normally until 10.00pm or so.

The office which issues the replacement 'Road Tax Document' is only open until 2 or maybe 3pm Mon to Thurs - and closes earlier on a Friday, so if the rental company are not supplying you with that form, you'll need to either go early, or ask the company to get one for you in advance, and pay 'em for doing so...

The replacement document is issued FOC, and as far as the Insurance goes, I've always paid by card - in Euros!

6M's
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Post by 6M's »

Thanks, Keith - made is already on her way - tracking her using teamviewer and watching her progress on her Waze app

She left late as she ran out of credit and my Paypal debit card would not work to top up turkcell ? Sorted with a 'normal' bank visa ))

Crazydre
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Crazydre »

Interesting; the three companies I've contacted say it's only open Mon-Fri 09:00-13:00, and is only available at Metehan

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Crazydre wrote:Interesting; the three companies I've contacted say it's only open Mon-Fri 09:00-13:00, and is only available at Metehan
When you say 'IT' is only open.. - are you referring to the insurance office(s), which the enquiry was about, or are you referring to the office which issues the replacement 'Road Tax Document'?

Mint1955
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Mint1955 »

You need two things to go south

one is a document commonly known as a tax document which is free and only available at metahan and only Monday to Friday between 7.30 and 1.45 pm you just need the log book of the car to get this.

Insurance booths are open up to 9 or 10 at night.

artistabroad
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Post by artistabroad »

Paypal debit card would not work to top up turkcell
PayPal isn’t allowed in Turkey any more, and in this instance, that includes North Cyprus

Crazydre
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Crazydre »

Keithcaley wrote: When you say 'IT' is only open.. - are you referring to the insurance office(s), which the enquiry was about, or are you referring to the office which issues the replacement 'Road Tax Document'?
I thought there was only one Office to be visited, not two.

So you mean I first go to the Road Tax office (which only Metehan has) to get a free Road Tax document, then to the insurance office to get insurance? Are they next to each other?

Also, what does the insurance cost (we're staying on the Island - both countries combined - for 10 days)?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Crazydre wrote:...So you mean I first go to the Road Tax office (which only Metehan has) to get a free Road Tax document, then to the insurance office to get insurance?
Yes
Are they next to each other?
Yes - within 50 Mtrs
Also, what does the insurance cost (we're staying on the Island - both countries combined - for 10 days)?
Minimum purchase of compulsory, legal minimum, 3rd party only Insurance cover is 1 month @ 25 Euros. This is Third Party only insurance cover for the South side only.

You must have written permission from the Hire Car company to take the vehicle to the South or you will not be allowed across the Green Line - I would advise you to ask them well in advance of the hire date, and to ask them if they will arrange the free Road Tax replacement document for you in advance - they will, of course charge you for this service, but it is better than getting to the Border and finding that there is some bureaucratic hitch that prevents you from crossing! They may also insist that you pay a premium, plus extra for a comprehensive insurance policy to cover the possibility of the car being damaged whilst in the South (Vandal attacks against TRNC registered cars in the South are not unknown...) and also to cover any potential 'recovery costs' should the vehicle need to be repatriated after a breakdown or accident.

You might want to ask forum members which hire car company they would reccommend, as not all hire companies will allow you to take a car to the South.

Crazydre
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Crazydre »

@Keithcaley In fact I chose the company I chose because it was the only one that issues the permit to take the car out of North Cyprus AND was willing to be flexible about my age (I'm not 25 just yet, and my mum, although good at driving, doesn't have a licence).

Whether they issue the road tax document in advance, I don't know, but when going to EU Cyprus we'll leave before noon (we're staying at the Rose Gardens in Lapta) and as such the office will be open, so it may not actually matter.

My guess is the Company doesn't issue it, as they said the "insurance Office" Closes at 1300

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Crazydre wrote:@Keithcaley In fact I chose the company I chose because it was the only one that issues the permit to take the car out of North Cyprus AND was willing to be flexible about my age (I'm not 25 just yet, and my mum, although good at driving, doesn't have a licence).

Whether they issue the road tax document in advance, I don't know, but when going to EU Cyprus we'll leave before noon (we're staying at the Rose Gardens in Lapta) and as such the office will be open, so it may not actually matter.

My guess is the Company doesn't issue it, as they said the "insurance Office" Closes at 1300
Well, it sounds as though you have pretty much 'covered all of the bases' as they say, so I think that you're all set to go - please let us know how you get on, I hope that we haven't scared you too much...

Do set off early though, there are roadworks on the Lekoşia Road, and you really don't want to get there and find that they've gone home early!

ttoli
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

Post by ttoli »

(I'm not 25 just yet, and my mum, although good at driving, doesn't have a licence).bodes well then
(Advertising Restricted)

Crazydre
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Crazydre »

ttoli wrote:(I'm not 25 just yet, and my mum, although good at driving, doesn't have a licence).bodes well then
I know from experience that many People over there just can't behave in traffic. Of course I'm going to drive super defensively, and only as fast as I'm comfortable driving on a road (and never faster than the maximum speed)

To clarify I've been licensed to drive since October 2013, ie for a good while. I mean I don't get practice on daily Basis, but sometimes I do need to rent a car at home to buy heavy stuff.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

I'm sure that you'll be fine - just keep aware of what's going on around you, and leave plenty of space (distance=time=reaction time)...

Drivers in the North also don't seem to receive adequate training in the rules of the road, or understand the need for them, so don't expect "mirror-signal-manouvre" or lane discipline or correct use of roundabouts - and always look left when pulling out of a T-junction in case there's some loony coming towards you on the wrong side of the road 'cos they just love overtaking, and never think of anyone pulling out of a side road...

I hope that you have a super time!

Return to “TRAVEL - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”