Opening times for hire car insurance at border

Find out about Flights, Taxi's, Transfers. Let members know what flight deals you managed to get.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Michala
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Opening times for hire car insurance at border

•   Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Michala »

Hi all.

Do you know the opening/closing times to be able to get hire car insurance at the Famagusta border?

Thanks a lot
Michala

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Opening times for hire car insurance at border

•   Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

Are you traveling North to South or South to North?

mish
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Post by mish »

Usually till 10.00pm but which crossing?

Into the SBA (Ay Nic) or beyond Varosha towards Derinia?

The operator at Ay Nic lives in a house nearby and is willing to turn out late evening if the police call him.

Derinia may be different as it is so new and a distance from habitation.
m

Michala
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Michala »

Thank you for the replies.

I should've said that we wiĺl be going to the SBA border and travelling from South to North in August. Our flight doesn't land until 10.40pm so realistically we'll we won't get there until gone midnight.

The last couple of years when we have arrived at the border late at night, the police have turned us away as the insurance office was closed. But in previous years they have called out the insurance person and they have just charged us extra, so I don't know if we came during a public holiday?

Michala

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

Michala wrote:Thank you for the replies.

I should've said that we wiĺl be going to the SBA border and travelling from South to North in August. Our flight doesn't land until 10.40pm so realistically we'll we won't get there until gone midnight.

The last couple of years when we have arrived at the border late at night, the police have turned us away as the insurance office was closed. But in previous years they have called out the insurance person and they have just charged us extra, so I don't know if we came during a public holiday?

Michala
Get the hire car company at the airport you land at to fix the insurance for the north. There is normally a surcharge of 10€, but you have the security of not having to faff about at the crossing point. Make sure though, the company will allow the car to go north, not all companies do.

Michala
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Michala »

Thanks for that. I checked with the hire car company before I booked and they do allow their cars across into the North. I'll see if they can sort out the insurance too.

Michala

mish
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Post by mish »

I always hire from Petsas (have a booth in LCA airport). At my request they arrange a certificate for me to pick-up with the car.

Its also cheaper than buying at the crossing although the same company - Tower - which is the only approved supplier. (I usually buy a 30 day certificate).

These days I also have UK provided CDW insurance, just in case should I encounter damage in NC.
m

PS. watch out for the new speed humps (5?) after you turn off the motorway towards SBA.

Michala
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Michala »

Thank you for all of that information, it's good to know. Oh and thanks for the warning about the speed humps!

Michala

Return to “TRAVEL - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”