Parking TRNC rental car on EU side of Nicosia

Find out about Flights, Taxi's, Transfers. Let members know what flight deals you managed to get.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Crazydre
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Parking TRNC rental car on EU side of Nicosia

•   Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Crazydre »

On Friday I'm going (in my TRNC rental car) to the Nicosia Dental Polyclinic in EU Cyprus.
After my appointment I'll spend the day in central Nicosia (both countries).

To avoid having to drive around Metehan to get between the two centres, it would be most convenient to park the car near the Ledra Street border (south side) and cross the border when appropriate.

My questions are:

1. Given the rumours of Greek hooligans damaging TRNC cars, is it generally safe to park a TRNC rental car (with a red plate) around the Ledra Street border (FWIW, last year near the Makronissos beach in Agia Napa, we had zero problems)?

2. If it varies between parking spots, any particular spot within 500-ish metres of the Ledra Street border that you can recommend?

3. Is it allowed to temporarily walk back into the TRNC without your vehicle if having exited with it (if you're not sure, it'd be much appreciated if someone could call the Turkish border police there at 0392 229 1287 and ask)?

Thanks in advance

MVP
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Parking TRNC rental car on EU side of Nicosia

•   Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Post by MVP »

You can't take a TRNC rental car over the border into south Cyprus.

There are nearby and cheap car parks by both Ledra st and Ledra palace crossings on the TRNC side

Alisun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Alisun »

Don’t know about car parking but sorry must correct the previous statement regarding not being allowed to take a TRNC Hire car over the border - there are some companies who do allow it and will give you the required authorisation paperwork

paul90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Post by paul90 »

Yes, Green Valley in Alsancak do it - did it for our guests this month.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

MVP wrote:You can't take a TRNC rental car over the border into south Cyprus.

There are nearby and cheap car parks by both Ledra st and Ledra palace crossings on the TRNC side
Although the first statement is wrong, the second one is very true - why bother taking the car over when there are good carparks that are cheap - some free in the TRNC.

Crazydre
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Crazydre »

MVP wrote:You can't take a TRNC rental car over the border into south Cyprus.
My rental company has issued me a permit to do so, so not an issue. Also know the paperwork for Cyprus, as again I crossed the border last year too
Groucho wrote:
Although the first statement is wrong, the second one is very true - why bother taking the car over when there are good carparks that are cheap - some free in the TRNC.
Because I'm going to the dentist first and will park there, and would prefer not having to drive around Metehan to get to the north centre (Ledra Palace is only for diplomatic vehicles, unless that has changed)

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Does anyone recommend a decent car park that is close by to ledra street that is easily found using google maps?

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

Pass through 'Girne Gate' Take second Left. Car park next to Kombos Dolmus office. 5TL

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Mimi2 wrote:Pass through 'Girne Gate' Take second Left. Car park next to Kombos Dolmus office. 5TL
Thanks for the info. Do you know if it is 24 hour?

Crazydre
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Crazydre »

Ended up parking at the D'avila parking lot on the EU side and can highly recommend it. €4 for 7 hours, €5 for 10 hours (don't remember the other amounts) and well-guarded with 314 spots, plus within walking distance of both the dental clinic and the centre.

Return to “TRAVEL - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”