Entry to ROC for non-ROC citizen Turkish Cypriots

Find out about Flights, Taxi's, Transfers. Let members know what flight deals you managed to get.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Crazydre
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Entry to ROC for non-ROC citizen Turkish Cypriots

•   Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Crazydre »

When entering the ROC on Ledra street, I've noticed there are two lanes: a special one for "Turkish Cypriots" and one for all others.

This made me curious about the following:

1. What paperwork do Turkish Cypriots who are NOT also ROC citizens need to enter the ROC?

2. Can they use that same paperwork to enter the ROC at ROC air/seaports (assume a dual Russian citizen wishing to fly Moscow-Larnaca)?

Also, why the dedicated lane for turkish cypriots, but none for ROC citizens?

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Entry to ROC for non-ROC citizen Turkish Cypriots

•   Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Because they can the ROC love things like that anything to make life a bit more difficult.

Crazydre
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Crazydre »

Deniz1 wrote:Because they can the ROC love things like that anything to make life a bit more difficult.
More difficult? The Turkish Cypriot lane was empty while I was forced to wait 5 minutes in the general lane.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Crazydre wrote:
Deniz1 wrote:Because they can the ROC love things like that anything to make life a bit more difficult.
More difficult? The Turkish Cypriot lane was empty while I was forced to wait 5 minutes in the general lane.
Well, I think that you just re-inforced Deniz's point - they made it more difficult for YOU - a 'non Cypriot' who was clearly 'fraternizing with the North'

Crazydre
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Crazydre »

I see. So if A Turkish Cypriot who isn't a ROC citizen, what is actually needed, and like I said, can they use those papers at Larnaca/Paphos airport?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Crazydre wrote:I see. So if A Turkish Cypriot who isn't a ROC citizen, what is actually needed, and like I said, can they use those papers at Larnaca/Paphos airport?
They can certainly use their TRNC ID documents to enter ROC - they are Cypriots, after all...

You would need to ask someone else the other question

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Crazydre wrote:I see. So if A Turkish Cypriot who isn't a ROC citizen, what is actually needed, and like I said, can they use those papers at Larnaca/Paphos airport?
For crossing internally north to south it only matters what the RoC consider you to be. You can be a TC (TRNC citizen) that the RoC does not consider a Cypriot and you can be one that they do consider a citizen, even though you may not have taken up that citizenship. When the crossing first opened, to TC only, I was able to cross using my TRNC kimlik card but only after I had proven to the RoC that my father was a Cypriot, born in Cyprus (I produced a former passport of my fathers and this was sufficient for the RoC at that time). If however as someone not themselves born in Cyprus I had been unable to prove to the RoC that my father had himself been born a Cypriot , then I would not have been able to cross using my TRNC ID card. Using my UK passport, sure (once the green line agreement came in to effect) but not using my TRNC ID card in such a situation.

As for using my TRNC ID to enter or exit the RoC I am less sure about this. I suspect you would be free to leave the RoC on a TRNC ID card as long as that was recognised as a valid travel document at where ever the destination is (which is not many places). As for entering the RoC using TRNC ID card, this I suspect is like the crossing internally. If the RoC accepts you are a citizen of the RoC , even if you have not taken up that citizenship, they should let you in to the RoC. The ID card would only be relevant in so far as it helps the RoC decide if they think you are a RoC citizen or not.

Return to “TRAVEL - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”