Taking my car north to south

Find out about Flights, Taxi's, Transfers. Let members know what flight deals you managed to get.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

IPA
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Taking my car north to south

•   Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

Post by IPA »

Hello, I need some advice to go south and want take my trnc car. I have car log book, mot certification, trnc insurance, UK passport. How's does the crossing at Dhekelia work? Where do I buy car insurance for the south? Is it better to go via Metehan?

Thanks

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Taking my car north to south

•   Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

If it's your first time in that car, you need to get a certificate before getting insurance and that can only be obtained at Metehan. The office is immediately after the booths where they check your passport and before the insurance booths. You will need your home country driving licence as they will not accept a TRNC one from non Trnc citizens, plus the log book for the car. The certificate issued is valid for one year and doesn't cost anything. The office hours are approximately 7.30am to 2.30pm but think 8am to 2pm to be sure.
Once you have the certificate you can buy insurance at any of the crossing points, the kiosks are usually just after the passport checking booths on South Side.
Last edited by come_on_aylin on Wed 04 Sep 2019 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

IPA wrote:Hello, I need some advice to go south and want take my trnc car. I have car log book, mot certification, trnc insurance, UK passport. How's does the crossing at Dhekelia work? Where do I buy car insurance for the south? Is it better to go via Metehan?

Thanks
You need the annual RoC vehicle authorisation document before you can get insurance for the RoC. Both are available at Metehan. There has been a plethora of posts on the Forum on this subject, so I recommend using the 'search' function.

IPA
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Post by IPA »

Thanks very much for the advice

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

Should have said the office is only open Monday to Friday and not on bank holidays.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

come_on_aylin wrote:...You will need your home country driving licence as they will not accept a TRNC one from non Trnc citizens...
This is correct, although I think that it is a little more precise than that - as I understand it, you need to be a 'Cypriot' (albeit 'Turkish Cypriot') by birthright - I believe that ROC will not allow Turkish 'settlers' and their offspring and other foreign-born expats who may have been granted TRNC Citizenship and a Kimlik, to use a TRNC driving licence. I was told that TC's born abroad need to prove that their Parent(s)(?) were born in Cyprus before they are allowed to use a TRNC Driving Licence in ROC.

I realise that this is probably irrelevant in IPA's case, but thought that I would mention it for completeness.

Return to “TRAVEL - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”