Satellite internet????

Need advice on setting up your TV or Satellite in North Cyprus? Find out everything you need to know from experienced Kibkomers.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

dan
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Satellite internet????

•   Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Post by dan »

Ia anyone aware if it is possible to receive satellite internet in TRNC or anywhere on the island of Cyprus????

SatelliteCyprus
Verified Business
Verified Business

Re: Satellite internet????

•   Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Post by SatelliteCyprus »

Dan...

Yes it is, but with high contention ratios and strict download bandwidth shaping, it is expensive and only good for general surfing and emailing

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

A simple Google query gave me this information:

"Types of Satellite Internet

There are basically two types of Satellite Internet: One way and Two way. With one way satellite connection your satellite dish is used only to receive data. To send data (which is required even for basic web browsing) you will need to connect to the internet in another way such as dial-up or GPRS.

Satellite Internet disadvantages

Beyond the high costs there are some more things you should know about satellite Internet to help you avoid any unpleasant surprises after investing 100s of euro in equipment.

Firstly, Satellite internet has a high latency problem caused by the signal having to travel 1000s of miles out into space to the satellite and then back to Earth. This means that certain applications that require real time user interaction, such as first person shooter type of games and skype, can not perform well over such connection.

The second major issue of Satellite broadband is the very strict download restrictions usually imposed. With satellite you are allowed to download only a specific amount of data each month. The cheaper the package, the less this amount usually is. Therefore if you are offered a high speed Satellite connection at prices that are not multiple times higher than those of ADSL it is almost certain that a very low monthly download threshold is imposed. This would mean that you would only be able to use your high speed connection for casual web browsing.
Satellite Internet requires expensive equipment, usually more than a thousand euro, and a monthly subscription which could be multiple times more than what you would pay for ADSL."

No prices were quoted but you can find them easily if really interested!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

MoonageDaydream
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Post by MoonageDaydream »

Well we use Nethouse, and pay 850 TL per annum for 4 mpbs satellite internet connection. Fine for what I want, and runs wifi radios and an android TV box with no problems.
A few connection 'outages' from time to time, but on the whole its pretty reliable.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

MoonageDaydream wrote:Well we use Nethouse, and pay 850 TL per annum for 4 mpbs satellite internet connection. Fine for what I want, and runs wifi radios and an android TV box with no problems.
A few connection 'outages' from time to time, but on the whole its pretty reliable.
I think that this poster is talking about using a 'dish' to connect wirelessly to an ISP's base station ('WISP' is the normal method here) rather than a Satellite dish...

As stated in msgs 2&3, it is really not suitable or economically viable for domestic use, watching TV etc...

kbasat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Post by kbasat »

MoonageDaydream wrote:Well we use Nethouse, and pay 850 TL per annum for 4 mpbs satellite internet connection. Fine for what I want, and runs wifi radios and an android TV box with no problems.
You have a wireless Internet connection, not a satellite Internet connection.

Many people get confused over difference, especially as some wireless Internet service providers use dishes to connect their customers, but to their terrestrial basestations not to a satellite.

K.
( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°) Haters will see you walk on water and say it’s because you can’t swim. ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
-----
https://www.facebook.com/taskentdogaparki/

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

Another Nethouse user here (several of my neighbours have also changed to Nethouse); the equipment does include a 'dish', but definitely not directed to/focused on any satellite - as Waddo quoted, a big problem is 'latency' i.e.delay - a late close friend lived in the West Indies, and when speaking to him on the phone - which was bounced over via satellite - the delay was very noticeable...

Return to “TV & SATELLITES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”