UK TV channels offered .

Need advice on setting up your TV or Satellite in North Cyprus? Find out everything you need to know from experienced Kibkomers.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Jane M
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

UK TV channels offered .

•   Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Jane M »

This is the 3rd time I've tried to ask about this, and the other two posts were not accepted although I have no idea why.
Has anyone tried Cyprus Satellite tv box? Although based in the South they do have an office in Girne. It is a one off payment and says in the advert that they offer free to air UK channels here in TRNC. Before I invest I'd like to check whether anyone else uses this and what they feel about it. If this post isn't accepted can someone please tell me why it is unacceptable as I am new to this. Thank you, Jane M

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: UK TV channels offered .

•   Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Jane M wrote:This is the 3rd time I've tried to ask about this, and the other two posts were not accepted although I have no idea why.
Has anyone tried Cyprus Satellite tv box? Although based in the South they do have an office in Girne. It is a one off payment and says in the advert that they offer free to air UK channels here in TRNC. Before I invest I'd like to check whether anyone else uses this and what they feel about it. If this post isn't accepted can someone please tell me why it is unacceptable as I am new to this. Thank you, Jane M
Hi, I've tried out these boxes and they work fine. One that I paid full price for, and one that I bought second-hand from a Kibkom poster. I have also seen one in use in a friend's villa.

They are more expensive than the cheapest ones that you can find on ebay, but there is the advantage that you have someone here in TRNC in case you need advice, assistance or have a warranty claim, and the apps on them are tailored to expat's needs, and they are child's play to use.

Note that although the Company is called 'Satellite Cyprus' (and they do, indeed provide satellite dishes and receivers as well), the boxes that I am referring to are android boxes, which use the Internet, so you do need a reasonable internet connection - I use Multimax myself, and Satellite Cyprus are agents for another internet company, for which they also provide a customer service facility if you pay for your internet through them.

I hope that's not too confusing!

archieibrown
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Post by archieibrown »

Hi Jane,

There are a couple people who sell Android boxes here, and a couple who also sell locally in Kyrenia. I'm not sure how expensive a price you might have gotten, but I have heard from a few friends that the boxes plus installation here can range from £150-£180, if you buy a box exclusively, it can be loads cheaper to set up.

Most set-up agents here would rather you buy a box off them rather than getting them to install on your box, so please confirm with other agents here if they can set up your box type.

Unfortunately, I don't know any numbers but maybe someone else down the line might.

Best of Luck.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Hi,

What you say is quite true.

However, for anyone who is not 'Tech-savvy' as it were, the option of buying a cheap box - and there are cheap boxes to be had, I don't deny it, is not a realistic one.

Anyone capable of buying a cheap box, installing and setting up software, and not needing tech support - after sales care - would not be asking advice on here, they would already have gone out and done it.

My advice stands - if you want an easy to use, 'plug and go' product with local after sales support, you've got my recommendation, if you feel confident to 'go it alone' - you already know what to do!

brian24001
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Post by brian24001 »

Good advice as is the norm from Keith. If you need to ask on here, you need to ask for the box.

We have an android, works well.

Live TV not as consistent as on line series and films, and often dependent on time of day etc, as many people probably switch on early evening.

I am often wondering though, how many 'non-tech savvy' don't even think to switch their android box off, so are continually downloading, using their own allowances, and slowing the system down for everyone.
The wife keeps complaining I never listen to a word she says ............. or something like that.

Return to “TV & SATELLITES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”