Any leads for TV / Internet

Need advice on setting up your TV or Satellite in North Cyprus? Find out everything you need to know from experienced Kibkomers.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

MekStar
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Any leads for TV / Internet

•   Message 1 of 2 in Discussion

Post by MekStar »

Hi All

Feeling a little overwhelmed with who to choose for tv and internet. I see there is good review on SatlliteCyprus...We are moving to North Cyprus in a few weeks and need to sort all this out - have young children!!
I am looking for English channels both movies for mummy and children channels.
I am looking for high-speed unlimited internet (please tell me they have this on the island)
I don't mind Turkish channel as well - but majority English is a must.
And someone who can set it all up.

Thanks
Last edited by MekStar on Thu 15 Sep 2016 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Any leads for TV / Internet

•   Message 2 of 2 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

You won't find anything to match Hong Kong speeds, even on a good day with a fair wind behind you...

As TRNC is unrecognised by all Countries except Turkey, we are limited to one internet route out of the country - through Turkey (via 2 links, but both controlled by TTNET in Turkey). This means that any fault condition in Turkey, or any fault condition affecting Turkey's connections to the rest of the World will inevitably affect us in TRNC - and there's no alternative, because there is no other route.

With Multimax, any speed between your premises and the Multimax server in Girne (Kyrenia) below 4Mbps is regarded as a 'fault', and at non-prime times you may get 10 to 15 (or a little more) Mbps. Between Midnight and 4pm, you can use whatever bandwidth is available, and shift as much data as you like (although, if you caused the entire system to slow down, I'm sure that they would 'have a word with you' ).

Between 4pm and midnight, there are limits on data, although watching average amounts of TV in SD shouldn't cause you to exceed these limits. If you find that you do go over the limit, then you can pay extra to increase your 16:00 to 24:00 allowance - but this does not guarantee you faster speeds than anyone else, it just means that you can have more data during those hours before your speed is limited. Restrictions are removed and reset daily at midnight.

There are obviously other companies which provide perfectly good internet services, but you did ask specifically about 'high speed, unlimited' access, and while Multimax don't provide this as standard, it's the closest that you will get in TRNC.

Be aware that Internet distribution in TRNC is mainly via Wireless, with tower-to-tower microwave links forming a chain back to the Kyrenia servers, and that frequent power cuts due to an ageing, somewhat inadequate, power generation and distribution network do play havoc with this network. There is no optical cable network, and ADSL - via telephone cables is not 100% reliable, due to the state of the rather ancient and fragile 'copper wire' network (and that's assuming that you can actually get a landline installed! - People wait years for a landline!).

If it is essential for you to maintain a constant, high speed connection for business purposes, then you would be well advised to go and live elsewhere, because there are times when we have no connection to the outside world at all - this is the result of the International Embargo placed on the Country as a result of UN resolutions - although, at a pinch, you could drive to the Greek-Cypriot controlled South Cyprus and use an Internet Cafe or something - assuming that they allow people of your Nationality to cross the Green Line...

If that last comment sounds confusing, or rascist, then you need to do a little research

p.s. For TV, there are also Satellite subscription services available, but you would need to check to see precisely which channels they offer.

Return to “TV & SATELLITES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”