Which Internet Service Provider is best ?

Need advice on setting up your TV or Satellite in North Cyprus? Find out everything you need to know from experienced Kibkomers.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

rosieA
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Which Internet Service Provider is best ?

•   Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Post by rosieA »

We will shortly need to either renew our contract for the internet or find a new supplier.
We live in Girne and We have had dreadful buffering issues with Multimax lately in the evenings. This has made it virtually impossible to watch tv so I am looking at alternative suppliers.
Please can sort get some feedback from other locals as to which ISP any gives the most reliable and best internet speeds.

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Which Internet Service Provider is best ?

•   Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

We are having exactly the same problem it seems to be worse round about the same time every evening. Just done a speed test 10:30pm and it hardly registers, as low as 0.35mb. This is bloody shocking to say the least so I am also looking for a reliable alternative. But is there one? Let's hope so!
My current contract with Multimax doesn't finish until September/October but I am willing to cut my losses and switch now. Nothing worse than looking at semi still pictures on an expensive TV!

A question that someone may be able to answer; is ADSL more consistent than wireless?

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

We are with Extend and have the same buffering issues in the evening. Extend have told us it is all due to Turkey and Turk Telecom. Maybe, just maybe, after the referendum they will stop mucking about with the internet so much.

Lodger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Lodger »

Same problem with Nethouse.

Lodger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Lodger »

Re; Brazen ADSL question.

You have to have a perfect landline connection to get it.

Nethouse tried for two weeks to get ADSL fitted then gave up because on noise on the line.

SatelliteCyprus
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Post by SatelliteCyprus »

The problem with Internet in Northern Cyprus is less likely to be as a result of your Internet Service Provider (ISP) 'not' having enough Internet Bandwidth to service their customers and 'more' likely to be any one, or combination of the following factors :-

1. Your location, in relation to your ISP's Base Station (the distance, line of sight, the lie of the land, population density)
2. Bad, or weak radio signal to the Base Station
3. Radio Bandwidth problem (Saturation of a particular Radio Frequency)
4. Base Station Sector Problem (Contention Ratio)
5. Backbone link capacity at peak usage times.
6. Background Bandwidth Usage (Peer to Peer Downloading etc.)
7. Streaming TV using a 'cheaper' Wireless Router (when connected by wireless over a 'longer' distance - in another room for example) - as opposed to being connected by LAN Ethernet cable.

None of the ISP's are perfect and if anyone tells you that they are, don't believe them. The 'high' speeds that you see 'bandied' about are not a true reflection of the 'actual', regularly achievable speed(s) that are available. Snap shot speed tests over a short period of time (back to the Network Operations Centre, or at times of low usage) are not a good indicator of the 'quality' of an ISP's Internet connection.

We are 'Independent' agents of eXtend BroadBand. We manage the accounts of hundreds of British Expats. We have access to their system, we can fault find and suggest remedies. We arrange service calls for our customers and remove the hassle of the customer 'having' to deal with their First Line Support. We are not new to this, we have been working with eXtend for '9' years.

If you want a good headline speed to brag about in the local bar, it may be best to use one of the other ISPs, but if you want a bespoke service tailored to suit your 'own' particular circumstance, we may be the business to contact

There are a number of systems that enable you to watch UK (live) TV by Internet and we have been installing them for '5' years. We have been installing satellite TV systems (http://www.satellitecyprus.net/osn_cyprus/), or (http://www.satellitecyprus.net/bein_sports/) for 10 years. We do not use the most commonly used system (Kodi), but have our own set up which proves to be 'very' reliable.

We are not perfect (and someone may be along in a minute to tell you that), but we are a properly registered business and have been involved in IT, Internet, TV etc. in Northern Cyprus for 13 years.

We may be useful to you in diagnosing and solving your Internet and/or TV Problems - give us a call.

rosieA
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Post by rosieA »

Thanks for those comments. If anyone else has any advise re ISP's please do let me know

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

In the land of buffering download the programme and watch at leisure later on
I appreciate live sport does not lend itself to this

MoonageDaydream
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Post by MoonageDaydream »

We use Nethouse.
Its OK but suffers the same problems as most, in that it has to come via Turkey, and suffers from problems at the Turkish end which it has no control over.

I noticed the service has been bad recently, and it was bad last year during the election periods. Whether this is just a coincidence or not I'm not sure, we'll see if it settled down in the next few days....

Return to “TV & SATELLITES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”