Another question on the BBCiPlayer Web page

Need advice on setting up your TV or Satellite in North Cyprus? Find out everything you need to know from experienced Kibkomers.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Another question on the BBCiPlayer Web page

•   Message 1 of 33 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Message reads: You'll soon need to sign in to watch. Then below that are the icons

Sign in OR Register

Which would you advise to click on (I suspect you eventually will not be able to ignore it) Bearing in mind we are with MM and use their VPN service.

Either way I suspect you will be asked for email or Post Code but won't know until you click on one or the other.

laptatony
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Another question on the BBCiPlayer Web page

•   Message 2 of 33 in Discussion

Post by laptatony »

Why do you need IPlayer I can get all I need from Mobdro or using TVChaos where you download and watch guaranteed no buffering at your own convenience.q

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 33 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

sophie wrote:Message reads: You'll soon need to sign in to watch. Then below that are the icons

Sign in OR Register

Which would you advise to click on (I suspect you eventually will not be able to ignore it) Bearing in mind we are with MM and use their VPN service.

Either way I suspect you will be asked for email or Post Code but won't know until you click on one or the other.
you Register if its your first time which allows you to set up a password which you would then use to log in every other visit.
I guess from the postcode details you enter on log in they can check if your IP address is the same area.

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 33 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

Generally speaking, on any site/forum/program/app etc., you first have to register (once only) giving what details they require (and you are willing to provide), and thereafter you sign in with your designated user name (sometimes email address) and password.

terry2366
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 33 in Discussion

Post by terry2366 »

Should not really matter surely if you have a TV licence and you go abroad you should nay have to put your address or licence details in to watch it legally ??

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 33 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-y ... ices-TOP14

Do I need a TV Licence to watch paid-for subscription channels?

Subscription channels like Netflix, Amazon Prime/Instant Video and Now TV are television services that are normally paid for on a monthly basis via cable, satellite or the internet.

You will need a TV Licence if you watch live TV on a subscription channel. But you don’t need a TV Licence to watch on demand programmes (other than those on BBC iPlayer) on paid-for subscription channels.

Do I need a TV Licence to watch live TV programmes from outside the UK or Channel Islands?

You need a TV Licence to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel or device, no matter where they are broadcast or distributed from. This includes satellite or online streamed programmes from outside the UK or Channel Islands, such as sporting events and foreign shows.

Do I need a TV Licence if I watch on a mobile device?
If you’re using a mobile device powered solely by its own internal batteries – like a smartphone, tablet or laptop – you will be covered by your home’s TV Licence, wherever you’re using it in the UK and Channel Islands.

However, if you’re away from home and plug one of these devices into the mains and use it to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel or device, or to download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer, you need to be covered by a separate TV Licence at that address (unless you’re in a vehicle or vessel like a train, car or boat). It’s the law.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

None of these replies actually answer Sophie's question!

Sophie: Under the notice saying you will soon have to register there is "Why sign in" - click on this, Scroll down and click on "Help with Registration" - scrol down and click on "Why do I have to provide personal info." None of this commits you to anything
ou
It seems you need to provide email address, post code and "location". So if you are permanently non-resident Inuk it seems you have lost access to most of the BBC unless you are prepared to take a risk of putting in a false post code, and possibly involve a friend or relative. Even then can they check where you live from the email address - although mine ends ".UK"

ITV has been asking for registration for some time, has anyone used this and had any problems?

Multimax advertised their service making no bones about the fact that they were circumventing the BBC's attempts to stop "unauthorized access" . I have heard from them on this latest development - does anyone else heard or know anything.

Sophie I seem to be in much the same boat as you, if you want to discuss, please feel free to pm me.

I do not really want to go onto one of the paid services - I don't want all the stations they provide as I don't watch TV all that often, but being disabled it is nice to have some company on long winter evenings. I am also rather disappointed in the Beeb generally and rarely watch their summer offerings but I would miss the documentaries and national ceremonies (eg Trooping of the Colour and the Proms). Also soon I will qualify for free TV in the UK -do you think they would grant it here!

I

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 33 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

RR. Sophie as three options.
1.ignore, which from her post she already does
2.Register, if its her first time has said by myself and Jofra.
3 . Sign in ,if she has already registered again said by jofra and myself.

I dont believe the BBC will use your email domain address to cross reference, has you pointed out you can have a .uk email address and live out of the UK, but they can cross reference your postcode with the IP address.
i.e. You give them a Swansea post code to register ,but access iplayer using MM vpn which shows your equipment is in Tooting.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 9 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

kerry 6138 wrote:...but they can cross reference your postcode with the IP address...
Do you really think that they would?

I use BBC iPlayer with the MMX VPN, and it works fine, no problems and no queries about address.

I think that people are just creating hypothetical questions / problems, and are then paralysed into inaction by worrying about them.

Just DO IT and see if it works - if it doesn't, there are plenty of alternatives to BBC iPlayer!

Lodger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Lodger »

I think this link sums everything up :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/ ... 786b194543

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Thanks for the link Lodger. The comments are more interesting and informative than the BBC blurb , which is their usual idiotic promotion speak with no actual information included... I am pleased to see that several people living in the UK and normally licenced are upset by the intrusion of privacy and - just like me - do not want a "service" that tells them what to watch. As usual sounds like someone trying to justify their existence rather than do a useful job

I am still not sure what to do if or when the time comes that the Beeb refuses to give me programmes if I dont compete their stupid form..

I still think it is all their own fault for not considering the implications on the Licence of showing off how clever they were to use the Internet! That was before the British Government tightened the purse strings and they thought they only had to ask to get unlimited funding to play with their resources

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 33 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

Keithcaley wrote:
kerry 6138 wrote:...but they can cross reference your postcode with the IP address...
Do you really think that they would?
Probably not yet Keith ,but they obviously monitor IP address thats why you need a vpn.
I rarely use Iplayer to many alternatives has you say..

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 33 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Keith is absolutely correct. Up to last week I've done nothing at all but signed on using the MM connection and services. However this question is different it is actually asking me to Sign In or Register, neither of which I want to do because I want to stay using the MM VPN system if possible.

I have Mobro, Film On etc plus others, but as I rarely, if ever, watch live TV (I just don't have time) but catch up when I can.

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 33 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

Sorry Sophie not sure what your asking using a vpn has no bearing on registering your information or not,currently you can press do it later but has you said this option may not be available later.
if at some date they make registration compulsory it would be your choice if you want to give the requested information the vpn you use only tricks the iplayer into thinking you are in the UK.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 15 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Ok, I've done the deed....

Connect to MMX VPN
Start BBC iPlayer
Complete registration process using postcode W1A1AA
Use your normal email account (your location cannot be determined from this)
Click on 'I have a TV licence'

iPlayer will now work normally!

Lodger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Lodger »

Keithcaley wrote:Ok, I've done the deed....

Connect to MMX VPN
Start BBC iPlayer
Complete registration process using postcode W1A1AA
Use your normal email account (your location cannot be determined from this)
Click on 'I have a TV licence'

iPlayer will now work normally!
I don't think that is a very wise move, putting the postcode of Broadcasting House !!

I would think that will be thrown out at some point and an e-mail sent blocking you.

Or was it a joke Keith?

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Oooh! But it will be interesting to see what happens. If the process it entirely automated I suspect one could get away with it! A computer does not think like a human "'ang on a min. I know that address. Hey its mine!" Unless someone with a twisted sense of humour like Keith's has thought that someone like Keith would do something like that and actually programmed the computer to detect it, how would they realise? If the IP does not give away the location (I thought it di) how can they expect to check every postcode.

What worries me is on a previous occasion (nor ulterior motive simply because for no apparent reason the site would not let me in without a postcode) I tried the postcode of my old house in the UK and it refused to accept it and I never discovered why!

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 18 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

RR, an IP address (not email address!) is a fairly blunt instrument when it comes to pinpointing your location.
It will most often be possible to tell what Country you are located in, but it won't consistently report your whereabouts down to postcode level. Your email address reveals absolutely nothing about your geographical location. I use the same email address regardless of where I am in the World...
It appears that the BBC are using ip addresses simply to confirm that users are (or, in the case of VPN users, appear to be) in the UK. They do not seem to be attempting to cross reference 'ip location information' with postcode information, and in my opinion, to do so would cause them more problems than it's worth!
The request for a postcode during the registration process appears to be 'so that relevant content can be presented to the user' - e.g. Regional news, etc.
I would forget about your previous unexplained experience, it was probably a glitch.
Lodger - no joke, and there's no reason why someone actually in Broadcasting House should not attempt to access iPlayer, is there? I just wanted to confirm that the postcode was immaterial from a security point of view. As I said, it works fine, just do it!

£eagle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 33 in Discussion

Post by £eagle »

The privacy policy of the BBC includes it's right to pass on your iPlayer registration details to TV Licensing who can cross check your email address against licence details. I guess that this may lead to non licence holders being blocked.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 20 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

How can they 'cross check your email address against licensing details'?
An email address contains no location information, and in any case, various members of a household can have many different email addresses.
This sounds like nonsense to me.
Are you just guessing, or do you have any evidence to back up your assertion?

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 33 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/ ... 786b194543

Is this linked to my TV Licence?

Another question some of you might be asking is whether any of these changes are linked to TV Licensing. Last year the law changed so you now need a TV licence to watch BBC programmes on iPlayer.

The reason we’re making these changes isn’t about enforcing the licence fee – it’s about giving you a better BBC and helping you get the best out of it.

We’ve also been clear that we’re not going to use mass surveillance techniques or ask internet providers for IP addresses. However, the information you provide us with can help TV Licensing ensure that people are abiding by the law and minimise licence fee evasion. By matching email addresses we may be able to identify someone who has told us they don't need a TV licence while at the same time having signed in and watched iPlayer. So we will now use this alongside our existing enforcement techniques to help identify people who are watching licence fee-funded content without a licence.

Both the National Audit Office and Parliament’s Public Accounts Committee have focused on the need to reduce evasion recently. The Government has also asked us to consider whether a verification system is required for BBC iPlayer so that people who are not paying the fee cannot access licence fee-funded content for free. This is something we’re continuing to look at.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 22 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Kerry 6138, what is your interpretation of the information that you have just posted - i.e. what do you think that the effect will be on people in TRNC who want to watch iPlayer? - if any!

My 'take' on this that there will be no consequences at all, provided that you haven't previously stated that you don't need a licence and have given them your email address address at the time of making such declaration...

Lodger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Lodger »

Question For Keith.
================

If you are all (Well a lot) using Multi Max and Multi MAX VPN and W1A1WW would it not show the same Ip address?

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 33 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Do you ever get the feeling that you wished you hadn't asked a question as the answers are more complicated than the original question. This is one of those times!! I'll plod along and see what happens. Strange though that this previously unseen question on the BBC home page coincides almost to the day with me receiving an email 3 or 4 times a week from a VPN company in UK that I used yonks ago, trying to sell their wares and services again.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

I am more concerned about losing Radio than TV, so I think I will try registering on the Radio site , as one does not neeed a licence to listen to radio.??
Maybe that will also give me TV?

Or is it needed for Radio I Player, and if so are they actually entitled to restrict access to that?

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

Methinks this is just the 21st century version of the myth of the TV detector vans!

It works because people think it's real.

Or could I be wrong?

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Two great minds thinking alike Mowgli! It occurred to me that I havent seen many BBC detector vans in Ozankoy recently!! Without the vans, are they able to tell that you are actually watching TV?

I get the impression the intention is more to stop people in the UK avoiding the Licence Fee by using VPNs rather than target those abroad (actually if sometimes wonder if the BBCactually knows there are people living abroad) but maybe that is wishful thining.

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 33 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

I've just tried iPlayer Radio - and no request for information or registration appeared - I selected an item, and it began playing.
As to "...are they actually entitled to restrict access to that?" - any person/company/organization/government who has the capability of doing so is "entitled" to do so under the "Might is Right", until someone more "Mighty" comes along - similarly, no-one has any "rights" - only concessions and permissions granted by the current lawmakers and rulers, which can and often are changed - THIS is the reality of the world - throughout history....

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 29 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Lodger wrote:Question For Keith.
================

If you are all (Well a lot) using Multi Max and Multi MAX VPN and W1A1WW would it not show the same Ip address?
Yes, it would, but they do specifically state that they are not intending to conduct mass surveillance, and that the purpose of the postcode is not to identify individual users, but rather to ensure that appropriate content is delivered.
I used 'W1A1AA' simply to demonstrate that they don't require the postcode location to coincide with the I.P. location, so that regardless of what area of the U.K. you appear to be in (I.P. wise), you can offer a postcode to tailor your local news material to suit your preferences.
Also, you can use any old VPN that you wish, the more the merrier - I merely listed the steps that I used...
I think that people are really 'over thinking' this - I have demonstrated how to do it, and confirmed that it works with no problem, I really can't understand why people are continually coming up with 'what if?' scenarios instead öf just getting on with 'watching telly'

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 30 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

RR - I don't think that you would get BBC TV by the 'backdoor' as you postulate, but there is no reason at all to use a 'BBC' app to listen to the radio...
Just Google the possibilities, or go to http://internetradiouk.com.com and select whichever station that you want

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 33 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

Keithcaley wrote:Kerry 6138, what is your interpretation of the information that you have just posted - i.e. what do you think that the effect will be on people in TRNC who want to watch iPlayer? - if any!

My 'take' on this that there will be no consequences at all, provided that you haven't previously stated that you don't need a licence and have given them your email address address at the time of making such declaration...
Keith I posted the information from the BBC blog in response to your question message 20 for £agle,its not my opinion, like you I dont think anything will happen to IPlayer viewers in the TRNC.
Over the last few months they(BBC) have asked have you got a licence, what is your postcode, I to like RR used a old postcode and didn't get access, which right or wrong I put down to IP postcode differences, I just went on to find bbc on android.
When Sophie started this thread I thought it was a simple which option do I use, but it seemed to go onto become what will happen if I register/ sign in.
For me on the few occasions i use Iplayer I will answer, give details to allow me to log in until such times computer says no, then I will use other means or watch Sky News instead

£eagle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 33 in Discussion

Post by £eagle »

Keithcaley wrote:How can they 'cross check your email address against licensing details'?
An email address contains no location information, and in any case, various members of a household can have many different email addresses.
Sorry, I've been a bit slow to reply.
Email addresses are collected as part of the tv licencing process. A licence is required to watch iPlayer. It is therefore easy to check the registered iPlayer email address against the licence register. I have no idea if it actually happens. I doubt that anyone here would or could be chased for unpaid licence fees but it would be very easy to block access to iPlayer.
That was my original point.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 33 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

£eagle wrote:
Keithcaley wrote:How can they 'cross check your email address against licensing details'?
Sorry, I've been a bit slow to reply.
Email addresses are collected as part of the tv licencing process. A licence is required to watch iPlayer. It is therefore easy to check the registered iPlayer email address against the licence register. I have no idea if it actually happens. I doubt that anyone here would or could be chased for unpaid licence fees but it would be very easy to block access to iPlayer.
That was my original point.
And my point is that ... various members of a household can have many different email addresses...

Still sounds like nonsense to me

Return to “TV & SATELLITES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”