All Apps Ok to Update problems solved

Need advice on setting up your TV or Satellite in North Cyprus? Find out everything you need to know from experienced Kibkomers.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

yen66
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

All Apps Ok to Update problems solved

Post by yen66 »

Hi,
Very happy to give the all clear for the updates for the apps that i have installed ALL WORKING WELL ENJOY
Best regards
Yen

To whom it may concern/
I put this post/thread up on Saturday to advise people i have helped in the past months that there was a problem with some of the apps i have installed updating.

As i thought this was the best way to help the very large android community out there it was not intended to be Hijacked by a company that supply's
TV satellite/android TV boxes.
The only thing i can agree with is that people out there are not savvy with how the boxes work that is were i come in.
I DO NOT SELL ANDROID BOXES all i try and do is help the people out there to watch UK/English TV i have never gone on any ones thread promoting my services and never will. But one of the reasons i have replied to the gentlemen concerned is that he has no right to slag of or belittle people who have android boxes and making those that have an android box feel like they are tramps or worse eating fish and chips huddled in some darkened ally way.

This is not Professional in any shape or form and i think an apology should be made to all those people that have android boxes weather i have helped them or not as mentioned by Poshindevon every body has the write to buy what they want when they want and USE WHO THEY WANT.
i am here to help people with android boxes and will do so for as long as people ask for my help and yes i do charge a small fee (beer money to sum)
that covers my petrol internet and mobile phone.
Best regards
Yen
LONG LIVE THE ANDROID COMMUNITY MAY IT GROW AND GROW
Last edited by yen66 on Mon 20 Nov 2017 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

turtle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: major android update problems DO NOT UPDATE

Post by turtle »

The noose is tightening

yen66
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by yen66 »

no Noose the app providers have just had a couple dodgy updates there are new ones out and working perfectly

turtle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by turtle »

The add-ons are dropping like flies under pressure from legal threats ?

yen66
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by yen66 »

yes they are if you use kodi but the above message is nothing to do with Kodi

SatelliteCyprus
Verified Business
Verified Business

Post by SatelliteCyprus »

The major problem is not that the noose is tightening, but that without continuous tweaking by an experienced user, the Aps/Addons will eventually fail. One minute it works, the next minute it doesn't. A 'normal' user doesn't have the knowledge, or experience to be able to continually maintain the system(s) and as a result, they have to 'heavily' rely on 'help' (usually paid-for) from the supplier. Eventually, this becomes a tedious and expensive process for both the 'supplier' and the 'buyer' and one, or the other will give up. If my 14 years experience in this business 'here' is anything to go by, it's usually the supplier who gives up.

We don't consider this 'type' of system to be commercially viable, but in 14 years, we have seen 'many' people give 'similar' systems a try. 99.9% of them failed miserably.

Providing continuous support is an expensive business, but then, if you are only doing it for beer money, I guess it doesn't matter that you have to visit customers repeatedly to sort out their TV systems when they go wrong.

Let's be honest, most people just can't be bothered with the hassle and eventually go for a 'reliable' paid-for system which at 50p a day, in most people's books, is a no-brainer.

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by kerry 6138 »

turtle wrote:The add-ons are dropping like flies under pressure from legal threats ?
they are also breeding and returning like flies

yen66
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by yen66 »

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

At the end of the day it’s all about customer choice as to what system and the amount they want to pay in order to access their favourite tv programmes.

For sure if you are an avid tv watcher/soap follower or must see major sports events as they happen then the android box system via the internet is not going to meet your requirements all of the time. The customer has to balance cost v reliable watching time. If you cannot do without your tv then in order to ensure you don’t miss your programmes you have to pay and likely go for a satellite based system.

For us the android box system meets our requirements and we accept that at times for various reasons it may not always be available but it is a cheap and cheerful option. If it isn’t working we have a hard disk with so many films loaded it would take us a long time to plough thro them all. Then there is always the radio and many books to be read.

I think the problem is that many do not fully understand the restrictions or merits of the system they think will work for them. Often it isn’t clearly explained when they are sold the box, plus they often have nil back up service if it doesn’t work and hence have to pay to get it sorted out. Some are happy with this level of service and some are not.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

IPA
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by IPA »

Totally agree with PoshinDevon . At the end of the day you get what you pay for. if you are getting it for free and suddenly it doesnt work dont be surprised.

IPA

SatelliteCyprus
Verified Business
Verified Business

Posh in Devon... I 'think' that you misunderstand. Whilst we have been supplying our customers with satellite TV (subscription) systems which are extremely reliable and very 'easy' to use with perfect HD picture quality which enables our customers to enjoy the 'best' of English speaking TV with minimum problems and very little support from us :- http://www.satellitecyprus.net/bein_sports/ and http://www.satellitecyprus.net/osn_cyprus/ , five years ago, with the advent of 'internet' TV and the possibilities that this presented to internet users (Live UK TV channels), we looked at the various ways that we 'may' be able to provide an internet TV system that offered the same level of reliability as the satellite TV systems that we supply. We looked at several options, one of which was TV boxes running the Android OS.

Early on, we decided that we did not want to become involved in the business of supplying cheap Android boxes to customers who then, had to learn how to install, 'maintain' (*very important) and use 3rd party Aps, especially (what can be) 'unreliable' TV Aps which require 'almost' daily tweaking and maintenance and require a 'reasonable' degree of expertise.

We decided to supply UK TV boxes that included the Filmon Ap and our customers were more than happy to use the 'free' UK TV service that Filmon provided. The 'standard' definition picture wasn't perfect, but the limited 'recording' feature that they offered made up for this and was a feature that customers in different time zones found very useful. Most importantly, the Filmon service was 'stable' and 'reliable' and caused 'few' problems for our customers. Our customers were able to enjoy zero cost TV over the internet, apart of course, for the initial monetary cost of the hardware and this remained the position for 4 and a half years. We supplied thousands of UK TV boxes to customers who ordered them from our web site and enjoyed access to 'free' UK TV using the Filmon Ap.

On the 1st May 2016 however, when Filmon started charging for the service that they were previously supplying 'free', many of our customers contacted us to ask us whether we could recommend an alternative to Filmon. There were/are various other free Aps available, but before we made any recommendations, we had to decide which way we were going to go - with 'free' Aps such as Kodi, Mobdro, Showbox and Terrarium TV etc. which are 'notoriously' unreliable, cumbersome and which need regular updates and maintenance and present regular problems to the user (which we would be expected to support), or (being in the business of supplying trouble free TV for 10 years), whether we should look for a paid-for (better) alternative to Filmon.

We decided to opt for the latter and have been supplying our own system for more than two years. Currently, we have 'many' customers who enjoy uninterrupted viewing of UK TV channels via our Android based TV system. Our customers do not need 'any' expertise to operate our system, they do not need to beware of 'updates' messing up their system. Neither do they have to carry out any regular maintenance on the system which is maintained automatically by us.

Our system is 'very' stable, 'very' easy to use and gives the user what they have described as a 'typical' TV user experience. The set top box boots up from a cold start in 30 seconds, TV channels are chosen using a remote control, either from the main menu, or by selecting the appropriate channel number (1-160). Picture quality is offered in Standard or High Definition on selected channels and there is two weeks catchup TV on the majority of channels (all the most popular). Many of our customers do not stay up until 11pm to watch their favourite programmes, they simply watch on demand at a time that suits them.

We offer full-time and Pay as you Go subscriptions which enable customers to pay for 'just' the time that they want to watch. For example, we have customers who 'just' use our TV system in their holiday homes (when they are here - 2-3 months per year). We have customers who subscribe 'only' in the winter months (when they watch more TV). Our customers on full time subscriptions do not have to pay a year in advance, they pay quarterly (for convenience), or by monthly subscription (£15 standard system and £30 premium system).

What we do not see as being 'commercially' viable TV systems are those of the 'type' which is the subject matter of this Forum thread. Those which need regular updates, customization and maintenance. Those which work one minute and don't work the next ! Those with which the user spends more time trying to configure, sort out, update and tweak, than they do actually watching TV. Those which the supplier is expected to support on a daily basis. Those being offered to millions of users, as opposed to a chosen select few. Systems which can be parodied by imagining visiting a Kentucky Fried Chicken shop, standing in the queue with a bunch of drunks, being served a helping of oily chicken and over-cooked frozen chips which are eaten standing up in a bush shelter - as opposed to dining at a posh a-la-carte restaurant, enjoying a nice steak in comfort whilst sipping a glass of the best chateauneuf du pape !

SatelliteCyprus
Verified Business
Verified Business

To add weight to my position, there is another thread running in parallel to this which describes a 'typical' user experience of such 'systems':

http://www.kibkomnorthcyprusforum.com/v ... 30&t=40397

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

I do fully understand ( I was a telecoms engineer in a former life and worked on many different systems including tropospheric scatter, microwave, satellite systems and mobile networks).

My point is that it’s customer choice and some customers do not fully understand what they are buying and what service they can or can not expect.

For me cheap and cheerful is fine as we are not tv addicts and if we cannot view a programme it is not such a big deal. I also understand the constraints with regards to the internet service both to, from and in the TRNC. To be honest whilst not perfect it is a lot better than some areas in the U.K. For others tho tv is more important form of entertainment, especially in the winter months.

The customer has to make the choice and balance whether what they pay will give them what they want as differing systems have there pros and cons. I don’t have any interest in trying to promote any system.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Mowgli597 »

SatelliteCyprus:

Please, please, pretty please with sugar on top - cover up your single quote key ‘ on the keyboard.

It’ll make ‘reading’ your ‘very’ informative ‘posts’ much ‘easier’.

Thank you

SatelliteCyprus
Verified Business
Verified Business

Good morning Poshindevon...the misunderstanding that I was referring to was not a technical one, it was that it seemed that you were under the impression that we only install satellite TV when in fact, we install internet TV and offer many other high quality products and services.

For example, we also supply Windows 10 Set Top Boxes that run any and all forms of Windows based software. We do models with 2GB/4GB RAM and up to 128 GB of internal storage and versions running Windows 8/Ubuntu/Linux and dual boot systems Windows/Android.

Our customers are using these small footprint systems as PCs (replacing their old dusty desktop computers) and/or as TV Set Top Boxes. Very neat and tidy, no noise, very little heat and very quick to boot up.

Installation, setting up and premium customer service is available but costs extra.

You can get more details here - http://www.satellitecyprus.net/mini_pc/

Mowgli597 - no " ' "

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

SatelliteCyprus wrote:Good morning Poshindevon...the misunderstanding that I was referring to was not a technical one, it was that it seemed that you were under the impression that we only install satellite TV when in fact, we install internet TV and offer many other high quality products and services.

For example, we also supply Windows 10 Set Top Boxes that run any and all forms of Windows based software. We do models with 2GB/4GB RAM and up to 128 GB of internal storage and versions running Windows 8/Ubuntu/Linux and dual boot systems Windows/Android.

Our customers are using these small footprint systems as PCs (replacing their old dusty desktop computers) and/or as TV Set Top Boxes. Very neat and tidy, no noise, very little heat and very quick to boot up.

Installation, setting up and premium customer service is available but costs extra.

You can get more details here - http://www.satellitecyprus.net/mini_pc/

Mowgli597 - no " ' "

As I have said it’s customer choice, we are more than happy with cheap and cheerful. Indeed we have had satellite based and other systems in the past. As for Windows based systems, not a fan really as we moved away from them over 10years ago.

You pay your money and make the choice - the choice of course could come down to something simple as the cost of initial installation and ongoing support, some just may not be in a position to afford this luxury. I do believe some people make the wrong choice based on a lack of information, understanding and in some cases the sales patter.

What works for us may well not be suitable for others for many reasons.

When there is a system in place at a reasonable cost which “guarantees” 100% tv coverage at all time that will be the breakthrough.

SatelliteCyprus
Verified Business
Verified Business

Poshindevon,,,,,,,'I' don't want to fall into the trap of stating the obvious, but of course there are TV systems that “guarantee 100% TV coverage at all times" (we supply several) that are "affordable" but what is affordable ? What is affordable to some may not be affordable to others. Affordability is subjective and is usually determined by a person's priorities - for example, a person who spends money enjoying a busy social life (nothing wrong with that), may view the cost of a reliable TV system as unaffordable, but a person who doesn't, or can't get out much may view the same reliable TV system as value for money and view spending money socializing as a waste of money.

Another example, a person who doesn't see the need for a voltage regulator in their home which by the way, we import and supply (300TL - 1 KVA, 400TL - 1.5 KVA) - http://www.satellitecyprus.net/voltage_ ... rs_cyprus/ may view voltage regulators as unaffordable, but a person who loses their TV, DVD player to a power surge after a power cut, may view voltage regulators as an absolute necessity and when they buy one, would probably not go for cheap and cheerful !

Cheap and cheerful products and services nearly always fall short of the mark for me (based on my standards) and that's why I try to steer clear of them. I prefer to go with products and services that represent value for money. Further, if, when purchasing our products, I bought from the cheapest supplier, there is no doubt in my mind that our customers (and us) would suffer somewhere down the line.

Who was it that said, "I can't afford to buy the cheapest"

yen66
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: All Apps Ok to Update problems solved

Post by yen66 »

To whom it may concern/
I put this post/thread up on Saturday to advise people i have helped in the past months that there was a problem with some of the apps i have installed updating.

As i thought this was the best way to help the very large android community out there it was not intended to be Hijacked by a company that supply's
The only thing i can agree with is that people out there are not savvy with how the boxes work that is were i come in.
I DO NOT SELL ANDROID BOXES all i try and do is help the people out there to watch UK/English TV i have never gone on any ones thread promoting my services and never will. But one of the reasons i have replied to the gentlemen concerned is that he has no right to slag of or belittle people who have android boxes and making those that have an android box feel like they are tramps or worse eating fish and chips huddled in some darkened ally way.

This is not Professional in any shape or form and i think an apology should be made to all those people that have android boxes weather i have helped them or not as mentioned by Poshindevon every body has the write to buy what they want when they want and USE WHO THEY WANT.
i am here to help people with android boxes and will do so for as long as people ask for my help and yes i do charge a small fee (beer money to sum)
Best regards
Yen

jayceebee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by jayceebee »

Updated Mobdro this morning....all working OK now.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

yen66 wrote:To whom it may concern/

Best regards
Yen
Thank you for the above comments.

This was a thread started by a Kibkom member to offer help and timely advice to those that have an android box. It was not an attempt to sell android boxes or promote a service. I am sure it was very much appreciated.

Thank you yen66.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by tomsteel »

Maybe yen66 a mod will grip the business poster who hijacked your helpful posting for his/her own means and insulted android box owners at the same time? We shall wait and see!

Bonnie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Bonnie »

Well said PoshinDevon.
Thank you Yen for all your help. You're a star!!

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by kerry 6138 »

I take it satellite cyprus provides generators with their voltage regulators if he says .....

"I' don't want to fall into the trap of stating the obvious, but of course there are TV systems that “guarantee 100% TV coverage at all times" (we supply several) "

SatelliteCyprus
Verified Business
Verified Business

Firstly, I haven't hijacked this thread. The first message that I posted was in response to the 'original' title of the thread "major android update problems DO NOT UPDATE". These are the words of the member (yen66) who started the thread, not mine. In my first comment in this thread, all that I did was to point out what 'some' of those "major" problems are.

Secondly, in response to a comment by poshindevon who in my opinion had wrongly assumed that we only supplied and installed Satellite Systems when in fact, we supply many different types of TV systems and have done for the last 14 years, I posted to make sure that members understand the actual position. I am sure that Kibkom want their board to contain accurate information. I took the bother to include supplementary information to help board members one of whom subsequently described my posts as "very informative"

Further, I feel obliged to further correct yen66 and let's be very clear about this, he seems to think that I hold something against the Android operating system when in fact, I am not against Android, I have been using the Android operating system in one way, or another, for five years. I do believe however, that there is nothing wrong with making members aware that the Aps and services (especially TV services) that run on the Android operating system can sometimes be a major problem - wasn't that the original title of the thread ? - presumably yen66 agrees with me on this, otherwise, why give the thread that title ?!?

I hope that yen66 is not regretting starting this thread, or giving it the original title - I think that he has helped members by highlighting the "major" problems that the Aps that he installs are prone to.

Finally, I must apologize to yen66 - here's me thinking that you are running a business when in fact, all that you are doing is helping people and charging them to cover your expenses.

Tom Steel...the crowd always jeer at the players who run to the referee pretending to wave the red card in an attempt to get the player sent off !

Kerry6138...I don't understand what you mean.

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by kerry 6138 »

kerry 6138 wrote:I take it satellite cyprus provides generators with their voltage regulators if he says .....

"I' don't want to fall into the trap of stating the obvious, but of course there are TV systems that “guarantee 100% TV coverage at all times" (we supply several) "
Which of the several systems you supply would have maintained your 100% guarantee during todays power cuts.
Where did the 99.9% failure rate for android boxes come from?

SatelliteCyprus
Verified Business
Verified Business

Kerry6138...seriously ?

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

Topic locked.

Topic was started by yen66 who was offering timely advice re updating of android boxes. It has been confirmed that the boxes can now be updated without problems.

Return to “TV & SATELLITES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”