TV and Internet costs

Need advice on setting up your TV or Satellite in North Cyprus? Find out everything you need to know from experienced Kibkomers.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Michael410
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

TV and Internet costs

•   Message 1 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Michael410 »

Good evening all,
Hoping to make the move soon to NC so trying to get costs together.Any idea what the cost would be for a basic(at first) tv package with a good speed internet.

Thanks all,

Michael

smudger7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: TV and Internet costs

•   Message 2 of 20 in Discussion

Post by smudger7 »

MIchael,
For starters do not believe the promised broadband speed being offerd and the usual Turkey is throttling us back which only happens on evenings & Sunday which is when most people are at home!
Personally I can recommend Extend & Netonline for broadband as pretty much continuous 20Mbps download provided, Multimax was cheapest and able to pay daily which works well when only here for periods but could not watch anything using an IPTV or NTV.
I have found easiest option was to have a LG or Samsung smart tv and then a local providor can offer you a full UK tv package for circa £85/year.

If you want contact details send me a pm, I am not affiliated to anybody noted above but is my experiences that have worked.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 3 of 20 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Whatever company you decide to go with please always remember that the connectivity from North Cyprus is via Turkey. Therefore at times the issues with poor internet speed will be outside of the control of the internet service provider as the problems may well be further down the chain. This can often be confusing and frustrating for the end user.

There are a number of companies offering a service and in the main, given that North Cyprus is isolated in terms of external connectivity options, the internet service is good. We use Multimax for our internet as we have found them to be reliable and the packages offered meet our requirements. We are not on island all year so use a pay as you go option. Multimax are usually pretty good at sending a text message to inform of any problems plus they also have a manned help desk to report issues or faults. Not all companies offer this. They also have an option to cancel a contract and receive a refund (subject to certain conditions) should you decide that the service is not as you expected.

A search on this forum will bring up plenty of discussion about the good, bad and ugly with regards to the different providers however in the main we have been more than satisfied with the service we receive. Do plenty of research and select the provider and the package that best meets your needs.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

Michael410
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Michael410 »

Thanks very much smudger7,will contact you as soon as our plans are finalised.

Michael

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 20 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Find out from your neighbours what internet and tv suppliers they are using, and how reliable it is. It really depends on where you are living, as to what options you have for internet, and how reliable they are in that particular area.

Internet can be a bit iffy at times here, as PoshinDevon explained, but on the whole, it's not bad at all.

Can't help with tv packages, but take your time before diving in. Never felt the need for one at all, but realise I may be in a minority. Many here use android tv boxes, which may suit you. There are plenty here who can give you advice on that if you wish, but not my forte. Others use Amazon Firestick or Tv, again am sure you can get advice on here from others about that. You can also cast from your tablet/laptop to tv with Apple TV or Chromecast, or you can plug directly into your tv.

Michael410
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Michael410 »

Thanks all for your replies and advice.

kbasat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 20 in Discussion

Post by kbasat »

smudger7 wrote:MIchael,
For starters do not believe the promised broadband speed being offerd and the usual Turkey is throttling us back which only happens on evenings & Sunday which is when most people are at home!
Personally I can recommend Extend & Netonline for broadband as pretty much continuous 20Mbps download provided, Multimax was cheapest and able to pay daily which works well when only here for periods but could not watch anything using an IPTV or NTV.
I have found easiest option was to have a LG or Samsung smart tv and then a local providor can offer you a full UK tv package for circa £85/year.

If you want contact details send me a pm, I am not affiliated to anybody noted above but is my experiences that have worked.
I really like to test those connections from those companies that you claim provides 20Mbps continuously.

Not only those 2 companies offer 6Mbps and 8Mbps maximum speeds, Multimax was also never the cheapest I think you might have got your facts confused.

K.
( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°) Haters will see you walk on water and say it’s because you can’t swim. ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
-----
https://www.facebook.com/taskentdogaparki/

smudger7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 20 in Discussion

Post by smudger7 »

I am not affiliated to any Company and agree with all that is said above except for kbasat, I have proven the download speeds with the 3 providors I mention and I am correct.
Alphamike is bang on as different locations yield different results so neighbours are a good source of information.

kbasat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 20 in Discussion

Post by kbasat »

smudger7 wrote:I am not affiliated to any Company and agree with all that is said above except for kbasat, I have proven the download speeds with the 3 providors I mention and I am correct.
Alphamike is bang on as different locations yield different results so neighbours are a good source of information.
do you mind sharing a speedtest result from http://www.speedtest.net ?
( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°) Haters will see you walk on water and say it’s because you can’t swim. ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
-----
https://www.facebook.com/taskentdogaparki/

smudger7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 20 in Discussion

Post by smudger7 »

Will not allow a screenshot to be uploaded?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 11 of 20 in Discussion

Post by erol »

smudger7 wrote:Will not allow a screenshot to be uploaded?
Just for info when you complete a speedtest at speedtest.net you get a 'share option' near the top right of the results screen just to the right of the upload speed reported. If you click on this and select copy the 'web' url you should be able to paste that url here as a link that anyone can click and see the test result.

Hope that helps.

smudger7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 20 in Discussion

Post by smudger7 »

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7322776163

And that is on wifi outside whilst wife watching wedding inside in HD, I can do this all day every day and apart from a 5 minute hick up every once in a while is constantly 18+Mbps

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 20 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

We've only got 3MB but can usually watch TV, and both be on the internet at the same time with no buffering or problems. HD is a problem though, but sometimes can get that too with minimal buffering.

smudger7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 20 in Discussion

Post by smudger7 »

frontalman wrote:We've only got 3MB but can usually watch TV, and both be on the internet at the same time with no buffering or problems. HD is a problem though, but sometimes can get that too with minimal buffering.
With large tv low resolution makes everything look fuzzy., also when locals come back home speeds will drop so when we had 4mb dropped off so couldn’t watch anything at all.

ana
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 20 in Discussion

Post by ana »

Hi can anyone tell me the cost of buying a 50 inch tv and where to buy
I shall be out in july and hoping to get all set up with tv
Also fridge freezer broken. So need to replace
Any idea of cost and where to buy

Yilly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Yilly »

Hi,

In regards to the Internet I use Kibris online in Ozankoy and seems to be pretty stable, I like this option because you can pay monthly, Other providers if you live here sometimes want you to pay a full year upfront which is not good if you do a lot of traveling.

In regards to TV, It will depend on what TV you are looking for if you are happy with UK Terrestrial TV BBC,ITV, Channel 4 etc then its really easy if you have a Smart TV, I use a Smart DNS which also provided me with US Netflix, Basically provides you with a UK DNS so you can watch these with an app downloaded on your TV or if you have a Streaming stick like Amazon Firestick you can use the service

If you want to have satellite TV eg Sky1 Sky Sports and loads of other channels you have to Use an IPTV Streaming Service I have a really good one, Last September I paid £85 for the year and has been pretty stable. Not sure what current prices are but will be renewing in September.

There is a 14 day Free Trial available on the Smart DNS Service and if you decide to purchase the product you will get a VPN included.

If you need assistance for setting up PM me your phone number and I will assist

Web link and costs removed by moderator

laptatony
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 20 in Discussion

Post by laptatony »

With the speed test mine defaults to the supplier and results are good, but if you change the server say to Turkcell in turkey you will get a different result, interesting?????

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 18 of 20 in Discussion

Post by erol »

laptatony wrote: interesting?????
No

laptatony
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 20 in Discussion

Post by laptatony »

So why do we get different readings Erol if all internet is from Turkey??? Very interesting?????

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 20 of 20 in Discussion

Post by erol »

laptatony wrote:So why do we get different readings Erol if all internet is from Turkey??? Very interesting?????
I have tried to write an explanation, started 4 different approaches, but none are working. If you want to pm me I would be more than happy to explain in voice or meet up and explain in person even (I live in lapta).

The shortest written thing I can say is that it is absolutely normal that as you do speediests to servers further and further from you in network terms the speed you see will reduce.In the broadest and simplest terms It is impossible for a speed test to a sever in Turkey to show a speed faster than which you can get to a sever within your own ISP's network. It can only get slower the further away the server is. If you get X to a server on your own ISPs network , then you will get less than X to one in Turkey and even more less than that X to one in say the UK, or USA or Japan. The further you 'go' your speed can only decrease from what is the maximum you can get 'locally'.

BTW all internet is not from Turkey. All internet is routed via Turkey. Not quite the same thing.

Return to “TV & SATELLITES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”