TV Enertainment or Lack of

Need advice on setting up your TV or Satellite in North Cyprus? Find out everything you need to know from experienced Kibkomers.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

topten
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

TV Enertainment or Lack of

•   Message 1 of 22 in Discussion

Post by topten »

What has happened to TV"Entertainment"

In my youth, weekend TV had a variety show ie: the Val Doonican or Cilla Black show with proper celebrities on. Todays TV is filled with documentaries "how to bake a cake" in God knows how many different ways, the only way is Essex, with their perma tans and pumped up boobs what Granny had paid for so that Tiffany can further her "modelling" carreer. Or paid to see who can shag who, the quickest on love island. Where does my licence fee go? its certainly not spent on Celebrities or programs like the Two Ronnies or Morcambe & Wise Tommy Cooper, Frankie Howerd Eric Sykes. We get celebrity Mastermind with the slapper "Celebs" from towie or love island.And the thing is I can't go to the pub because there is a documentery saying that alchohol causes cancer so I will sit with my lemonade " what about the sugar content" er with my glass of water and veggie crisps watching people telling me I can play online bingo and Michael Parkinson telling me to take out a funeral plan so my loved ones can burn or bury me. F##k OFF..........

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: TV Enertainment or Lack of

•   Message 2 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

topten wrote:What has happened to TV"Entertainment"

In my youth, weekend TV had a variety show ie:
Val Doonican - DEAD
Cilla Black - DEAD
Two Ronnies - DEAD
Morcambe & Wise - DEAD
Tommy Cooper, - DEAD
Frankie Howerd - DEAD
Eric Sykes - DEAD

I think that's what happened

topten
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 22 in Discussion

Post by topten »

Keithcaley wrote:

Val Doonican - DEAD
Cilla Black - DEAD
Two Ronnies - DEAD
Morcambe & Wise - DEAD
Tommy Cooper, - DEAD
Frankie Howerd - DEAD
Eric Sykes - DEAD

I am so pleased you told me this, but you are missing the gist of my post, that is that the great entertainers like the above, have been replaced by crap. The only funny people to emerge in recent years " in my view" are Peter Kay then I am struggling to think of any one else that makes "me" laugh.

Kanonier
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Kanonier »

In the Eighties "politically uncorrect" comedians were replaced by "alternative comedians", ie not funny - it all went downhill from there. IMO.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 22 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Totally agree with you Topten, there is such a lot of drivel on these days, it's really not worth watching. I hate it when I go back to the UK and staying with family and the tv is on, almost permanently. Drives me insane. Do you remember the days when if someone came into the house, the tv was switched off? That's the way it was when I was growing up, and I did the same in my house.

You missed out the great, but also dead, Stanley Baxter, absolutely loved his spectacular shows. The only other comedian that I like, but a poor soul now, is Billy Connolly.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 22 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

I so agree with you Alphamike. I first watched Billy Connolly years ago at a very small jazz club on the Norfolk Coast, where he and a host of others (some became famous, some very clearly didn't). He was a musician though with the odd joke now and then, They stayed the night in the organizers houses and played for peanuts and copious beer. I then lost touch for a number of years and then he burst into my consciousness with a humour that shocked people to the core. I went to one show and EVERYONE was in tears of laughter and at one time I was sure I had dislocated my jaw. I'll never forget his pubic hair. (you have to be a fan to understand) A bit like Marmite, you either loved or loathed him.!!!

topten
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 22 in Discussion

Post by topten »

One of the most entertaining programs in the last few days was a documentary but it was about four wonderful actors and Dames. But yes Billy Connolly, was, is, brilliant as was Les Dawson the list goes on and on of past good comedians and entertainers.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 22 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Totally in agreement with you Sophie. He was a total shock to some, but a complete breathe of fresh air. If ever I feel a bit down, stick on some BC and can't help but roar with laughter, even knowing what is coming.
There's another comedian called Danny Bhoy who is quite funny, think that he performs more abroad than in the UK. Unfortunately, he seems to stick to the same material, year after year, but have a look on youtube. I had high hopes after seeing him many years ago, but he hasn't grown. Still funny though, but not a patch on BC.

Topten, watched that documentary on the 4 dames last night. It was very good. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... d=b0b5y3xn

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 22 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 22 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

topten wrote:
Keithcaley wrote:

Val Doonican - DEAD
Cilla Black - DEAD
Two Ronnies - DEAD
Morcambe & Wise - DEAD
Tommy Cooper, - DEAD
Frankie Howerd - DEAD
Eric Sykes - DEAD

I am so pleased you told me this, but you are missing the gist of my post, that is that the great entertainers like the above, have been replaced by crap. The only funny people to emerge in recent years " in my view" are Peter Kay then I am struggling to think of any one else that makes "me" laugh.
Depends what you enjoy.
Tommy Cooper was a genius and Morecombe and Wise, Two Ronnies were great. Frankie Howerd, Ken Dodd, Tarby etc couldn't make me laugh if they held my grandchildren hostage.
Peter Kay is great, Jack Dee, Micky Flanagan, Al Murray and Chris Rock are very funny.
If anyone can convince me that Cilla Black or Val Doonican were great singers I will bare my backside in the Lemar window of your choice.
There was rubbish then and there is rubbish now, there was talent then and there is talent now.
Thing back then was there was only three channels so less tv time to fill.
Which was why On The Buses used to pull in twenty million and had 3 films. Same Lemar offer holds if you can show me a clip of that which can make me laugh.
Last edited by EnjoyingTheSun on Mon 04 Jun 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 22 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

alphamike wrote: I hate it when I go back to the UK and staying with family and the tv is on, almost permanently. Drives me insane. Do you remember the days when if someone came into the house, the tv was switched off?
I don't even mind if the tv is on and we can all enjoy a show but usually the tv is on and everyone has got their heads down on their phone.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 22 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

topten wrote: What has happened to TV"Entertainment"

In my youth, weekend TV had a variety show ie: the Val Doonican or Cilla Black show with proper celebrities on.
Ish.
I remember watching the same shows and my Dad quietening us all down as Dickie Henderson or Kenny Lynch was on. I still remember wondering who the hell is Dickie Henderson and am still no wiser as to what he actually did.
I agree with all the reality programmes which are drivel but they have dozens of channels and 100s of hours to fill so there is a lot of padding. What I can't figure out is why they don't invest more in good drama. It is more expensive to make but they can sell it all over the world. How much have they made out of say Downton Abbey with overseas sales and DVD sales?

Jonnie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Jonnie »

I think it is a very mixed bag now as it was then. Cilla always drove me nuts. With the exception of a few sketches I did not think much of the TWO Ronnies however Barker was a comic genius. We have always had game shows as we have now, we have always had talent shows however we are done to death with them now but they have proved themselves with their popularity. We have some of the best dramas ever in my opinion now and the BBC really shines with this. Also some of the best documentaries. There are still great comics not mentioned, Michael McKintyre, Lee Mack are two off the top of my head. Soaps do nothing much for me however they too have come and gone. I am kinda with enjoying the sun on this one. As for cookery programmes, I enjoy them. As for Licence fee, if you live here you are probably not paying it but actually worse you are not paying it and watching a pirate version and adverts for funeral plans and bingo will be on commercial channels. I think the BBC does a lot to get its balance of programmes right, compared to commercial TV sky etc I think it is not expensive for the channels you get, the news and the national and local radio stations.
Some are wise and some otherwise.....

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 22 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Jonnie wrote:
There are still great comics not mentioned, Michael McKintyre, Lee Mack are two off the top of my head.
Forgot them and concur. Kevin Bridges is good too.
Back in the day Ken Dodd was one I never got. I'd rather do four hours being water boarded then go to one of his shows.
I once had an argument with a Scouser about the comedians of Liverpool and mentioned if Ken Dodd, Jimmy Tarbuck, Stan Boardman and Tom O'Connor were what they had they actually aren't funny.
Whereas nowadays John Bishop is very good.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 22 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

Just to add another stick to the fire, I download 24 Carry on Movies, outrageous comedy which I doubt you even televise now in the UK, it's so Politically Correct, do not even think about "Till Death Us Do Part " Alf Garnet and his utterances or where they our thoughts?

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 22 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

tutor4u wrote:Just to add another stick to the fire, I download 24 Carry on Movies, outrageous comedy which I doubt you even televise now in the UK, it's so Politically Correct, do not even think about "Till Death Us Do Part " Alf Garnet and his utterances or where they our thoughts?
They made 24 Carry Ons? Wow. Not my cup of tea but if they made 24 of them I'm obviously in the minority.

Loved Till Death Us Do Part and to a point I think if something is funny you can get away with a lot also it worked if you wasn't over sensitive because the joke was on Alf Garnett not the people he was abusing.

Love Thy Neighbour on the other hand was dreadful and no bad thing we are too PC to see that on our screens now.
But at one time it was the most popular sitcom on British television and lasted for seven series.
It even had a spin off film in 1973 which was the fifteenth most popular film of the year in Britain.
I wouldn't say it was a vintage year for movies, but to imagine this drivel battling it out at the box office with American Graffiti and Mean Streets is wrong on so many levels.

Jonnie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Jonnie »

Just on the subject of PC, we can have non-pc TV as we had some of the best with Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes. Classics like "You are a racist" "I have nothing against Gungas" "Bolly knickers, fire up the quatro"... "Stop moaning. What’s up with you this morning! You haven’t got the decorators in again have we?" and "They reckon you've got concussion – but personally, I couldn't give a tart's furry cup if half your brains are falling out." To name but a few! Oh and it was the BBC again!
Some are wise and some otherwise.....

pedmoreapollo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 22 in Discussion

Post by pedmoreapollo »

Life on Mars my all time favourite. However we still have good dramas, In the Line of Duty for one.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 22 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote: I don't even mind if the tv is on and we can all enjoy a show but usually the tv is on and everyone has got their heads down on their phone.
Oh forgot about that. Why is the tv even on then.....wonder if they are all sitting in the living room sending messages to each other rather than speaking? Even worse is playing with a phone when eating out, but I digress.

Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes were both fantastic. I also agree that the BBC make great dramas and documentaries, which is why I am not against the licence fee. Don't want the BBC to have to rely on advertising, as we've seen what happens with the channels that do rely on it. ITV can do good drama, but they seem to be making so much drivel these days, there is hardly ever anything worth watching. I am sure it's because there are now so many channels available, competing, so there is not the money to be spent on quality programmes.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 22 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

alphamike wrote:
I am sure it's because there are now so many channels available, competing, so there is not the money to be spent on quality programmes.
But if they make quality programmes they recoup the investment. Overseas sales, DVD sales more expensive advertising spots.
That said enough morons do watch Essex and Big Brother to make it an earner I guess
Last edited by EnjoyingTheSun on Tue 05 Jun 2018 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 22 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

I do agree with you, EnjoyingtheSun, but we're not in charge of programming. Unfortunately there are too many who like Jeremy Kyle and other equally inane offerings, otherwise they wouldn't be shown.

woodspeckie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 22 in Discussion

Post by woodspeckie »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
alphamike wrote: I hate it when I go back to the UK and staying with family and the tv is on, almost permanently. Drives me insane. Do you remember the days when if someone came into the house, the tv was switched off?
I don't even mind if the tv is on and we can all enjoy a show but usually the tv is on and everyone has got their heads down on their phone.

TV turned off and phones put to one side by everyone including the grandchildren when our family visit us, they still come and enjoy the chatting and laughing.

Return to “TV & SATELLITES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”