Smart dns set up help?

Need advice on setting up your TV or Satellite in North Cyprus? Find out everything you need to know from experienced Kibkomers.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Smart dns set up help?

•   Message 1 of 28 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

Signed up for smart dns ,the instructions seemed easy enough, however I fell at the first hurdle

I tried to set up the router but cant get access to the online settings192.168.0.1 using laptop or tablet any ideas ?

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Smart dns set up help?

•   Message 2 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Which router do you have? Have you a handbook with it because in there it will tell you what ip address to use. Also is it Smart DNS Stream via or Smrtdnsproxy

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 28 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

192.168.0.1 will allow you access to your router BUT probably not if you are not the "Administrator" of your device - check that first!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 28 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

kerry 6138 wrote:
Thu 11 Feb 2021 12:44 pm
Signed up for smart dns ,the instructions seemed easy enough, however I fell at the first hurdle

I tried to set up the router but cant get access to the online settings192.168.0.1 using laptop or tablet any ideas ?
Is this the steamvia, smart DNS? Just asking because I have their vpn and recently set up dns on smart tv. I cannot believe how helpful their agent was... honestly had a bit of a problem, contacted them through the web page.... response in minutes... I am now a happy bunny and know I have a point of contact if I have any further problems.... They will talk you through the issues. Good luck

IPMAN
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 28 in Discussion

Post by IPMAN »

I would set it up on each device to be honest - otherwise you will have trouble accessing some local stuff here.

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 28 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

Thanks for the replies
Its the smartdns proxy 14 day trial
Admin details are from the router hand book
Keep getting timeout error
I have a firestick connected via cable happy to just connect that, instuctions given are for advanced settings followed those but lost wifi altogether so set them back to original settings.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Have you tried any of the other addresses?
1. Log into your router Admin Panel.

You can find this information in your router/modem instruction book. In general, you can get access to your router admin panel with entering one of the following to your Internet Browser (Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, Opera, etc) on your PC/mobile device.

http://192.168.0.1
http://192.168.1.1
http://192.168.2.1

In your router/modem instruction book, the correct IP should be provided. Once you enter the correct router/modem IP address in your Internet Browser, it will open your router admin panel.
If you cannot do it on the router then do it via the Firestick either with wifi or by cable. Cable will be better because it is more stable. I found the instructions for the Firestick a little confusing but managed in the end with a little help from alphamike on here.

Ignore the bit about a one click Amazon address. When it asks to use the DNS server ones use 188.132.234.170 and 23.21.43.50.

IPMAN
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 28 in Discussion

Post by IPMAN »

Chriswright03 wrote:
Fri 12 Feb 2021 9:01 am

You can find this information in your router/modem instruction book. In general, you can get access to your router admin panel with entering one of the following to your Internet Browser (Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, Opera, etc) on your PC/mobile device.

In your router/modem instruction book, the correct IP should be provided. Once you enter the correct router/modem IP address in your Internet Browser, it will open your router admin panel.
If you cannot do it on the router then do it via the Firestick either with wifi or by cable. Cable will be better because it is more stable. I found the instructions for the Firestick a little confusing but managed in the end with a little help from alphamike on here.

Ignore the bit about a one click Amazon address. When it asks to use the DNS server ones use 188.132.234.170 and 23.21.43.50.
Chris those servers are no good for Iplayer, hub etc you need the UK one 35.178.60.174

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 28 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

I normally would have offered to help, but am suddenly having some issues myself, so am in touch with support team for advice.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

IPMAN wrote:
Fri 12 Feb 2021 9:37 am
Chriswright03 wrote:
Fri 12 Feb 2021 9:01 am

Chris those servers are no good for Iplayer, hub etc you need the UK one 35.178.60.174
Hi IPMAN those are the ones that I have used on my neighbours one and they are working but thanks for the info and I would suggest that yours are the ones that should be used in that case. These are the ones that alphamike sent me 23.21.43.50 and 54.183.15.10 and they work for him. I queried it in the first place because it stated to use the closest to you which to me meant to actual location not the location that you wanted them to think you were in. I have to say that although StreamDNS Proxy works and at a far better price than Steamvia the instructions with the latter were far easier to understand and therefore put into practice.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 28 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

The DNS settings that I passed on to Chris, were the ones given to me by the support team when I had issues accessing either channel 4 or 5 at one point, and they seemed to do the trick, so stuck with them.
Since yesterday morning, I can't seem to access iTV or BBC, but my set up is fine apparently, so awaiting on the support team for further advice.
Technology would drive you up the wall! ((W\))

IPMAN
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 28 in Discussion

Post by IPMAN »

I'm surprised those 2 DNS' worked for UK tv to be honest as one is Turkish and the other US

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 28 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Ipman, the ones recommended to me by support were both US based, used for a long time, and worked fine until yesterday. They still work with Ch 4 & 5, as I tried it out this afternoon, but still cannot get ITV or BBC. Am not too bothered about ITV but I really want to watch the Scotland rugby game over the weekend which is on BBC. Might have to go by another means as I did last weekend with rubbish ITV. (Not a fault by smartdnsproxy)

I've just had another email from support saying that they are investigating and could take more than a day. Fair play to them and at least they are being straight. I haven't changed any settings, all my devices are showing as set up properly. It's something beyond my control, so will have to wait.

Also, thank you Ipman regarding saying why not to set up the router, and do individual device(s). I mentioned something of the same ilk to ChrisW but couldn't for the life of me remember why. At least now it will be in my memory, for a short time, as everything else is these days. (:Q)

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

IPMAN wrote:
Thu 11 Feb 2021 5:03 pm
I would set it up on each device to be honest - otherwise you will have trouble accessing some local stuff here.
Such as? Not being difficult just trying to understand that is all. SmartDNS themselves recommend setting it up on the router rather than the Firestick.
If you are planning to use Amazon Fire TV we recommend you to configure your router. Please find router configuration details in our How to Setup page. With router setup all your devices in the network connected to your router gets access to Smart DNS Proxy. So you won't need to make manual configuration for each device.

IPMAN
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 28 in Discussion

Post by IPMAN »

Residency for one, probably car tax and work dept portals too

IPMAN
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 28 in Discussion

Post by IPMAN »

alphamike wrote:
Fri 12 Feb 2021 5:19 pm

I've just had another email from support saying that they are investigating and could take more than a day. Fair play to them and at least they are being straight. I haven't changed any settings, all my devices are showing as set up properly. It's something beyond my control, so will have to wait.
Try 35.178.60.174 I have always used this and had no issues

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 28 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Thank you,, will try tomorrow.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

IPMAN wrote:
Fri 12 Feb 2021 6:53 pm
OK thanks for that. I don't use SmartDNS Proxy as I was already with Streamvia. I have however set up my neighbours TV with DNS Proxy initially just on the Firestick but then on the router so she could use the cable instead of wifi and use her tablet when not in the room. I will get her to try and log onto the car tax site to see if she can still do it.

Thanks also for the DNS Servers I will insure that they are used as well even though the ones she has seem to be ok.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Chriswright03 wrote:
Sat 13 Feb 2021 7:20 am
IPMAN wrote:
Fri 12 Feb 2021 6:53 pm
OK thanks for that. I don't use SmartDNS Proxy as I was already with Streamvia. I have however set up my neighbours TV with DNS Proxy initially just on the Firestick but then on the router so she could use the cable instead of wifi and use her tablet when not in the room. I will get her to try and log onto the car tax site to see if she can still do it.

Thanks also for the DNS Servers I will insure that they are used as well even though the ones she has seem to be ok.
Latest working for BBC ITV CHANNEL4

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 28 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Thank you Groucho and Ipman, but still no success with any of those IP's with ITV or BBC. It's a weird one, and is affecting all my devices where I have set up their DNS.
I can access via MM's DNS settings, but obviously can't watch due to geo restrictions.
Still waiting for tech support to get back to me.

VPN is working though, so can access through that, so fingers crossed for the Scotland game soon.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

alphamike wrote:
Sat 13 Feb 2021 4:30 pm
Thank you Groucho and Ipman, but still no success with any of those IP's with ITV or BBC. It's a weird one, and is affecting all my devices where I have set up their DNS.
I can access via MM's DNS settings, but obviously can't watch due to geo restrictions.
Still waiting for tech support to get back to me.

VPN is working though, so can access through that, so fingers crossed for the Scotland game soon.
use PrScrn and an image of your ipV4 dns settings here...

make sure ipV6 is switched off.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 28 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Thanks Groucho. I can't upload images to the forum am afraid, no longer have photobucket or similar, plus I probably have forgotten what to do anyway.
Just so strange that it's working for Ch4 and 5 but just cannot access ITV or BBC. ipV6 is switched off and when I log into my account, all the boxes are ticked, so it should be working.

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 28 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

Managed to get it set up eventually with the help of the chat facility
Couldn't get access to the router maybe the way set up by provider.
Fire tv set up instructions a little confusing has already been said, I assumed the closest server meant geographically, I also had to set the time to GMT
Thanks for everyone who responded.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 28 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Glad that you managed to get it set up on Firestick Kerry.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

alphamike wrote:
Sat 13 Feb 2021 9:37 pm
Thanks Groucho. I can't upload images to the forum am afraid, no longer have photobucket or similar, plus I probably have forgotten what to do anyway.
Just so strange that it's working for Ch4 and 5 but just cannot access ITV or BBC. ipV6 is switched off and when I log into my account, all the boxes are ticked, so it should be working.
Have you re-activated your ip?

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 28 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Groucho wrote:
Sun 14 Feb 2021 6:40 am

Have you re-activated your ip?
I have numerous times.

However, success at last. I have just reset my router back to factory settings and set it all up again and that seems to have done the trick. I have no idea what went wrong, as I don't tamper with router and leave well alone. Anyway, all sorted for now, thank goodness.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

All you need now is for Scotland to win then. Fingers crossed.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 28 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Chriswright03 wrote:
Sun 14 Feb 2021 8:20 am
All you need now is for Scotland to win then. Fingers crossed.
We lost, Wales beat us by 1 point. Not to worry, was a damned good game. Ended up watching by another means, as VPN was too slow, and just got the whirring wheel.

Return to “TV & SATELLITES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”