My O2 SIM card has suddenly lost Turkcell network. Help!

Advice on using Mobile Phones within the TRNC: SIM Cards, Repairs, cheap calls to UK...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Fesenjan123
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

My O2 SIM card has suddenly lost Turkcell network. Help!

•   Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Fesenjan123 »

in the middle of December I noticed that my O2 pay as you go phone had no network. I have been using it here for over two years. I rang O2 in the UK to see what had happened and after checking, they said the fault was this end. A few days later I flew from Larnaca to the UK for Christmas, returning last night. My phone worked perfectly well as soon as I was on the Greek side and also in the UK. Came back last night and still no network here. Popped into Karakum Lemar to ask the Turkcell guy what the problem was, and predictably he was as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.
Anyone got any ideas? The fact that Turkcell were blocking phones from December, which had not been registered with them couldn't have anything to do with it could it? That ruling only applies to Turkish SIM cards. Their website is useless if you are English so I'm hoping somebody here may shed some light.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: My O2 SIM card has suddenly lost Turkcell network. Help!

•   Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

In the phone settings there is the option for 3 g and another combined with 3g try that
Also another setting is that allows you to choose a network from the available list try connecting
Best try it in town where the transmitter are more frequent
I had this problem a few years ago worked at Ercan then not once over the mountain
We are still not brilliant on reception on the uk phone up the mountain where we are but the Turksell is spot on every tme
Three are big in Eire but my sons 3 uk phone is pants where his irish one works ok
Good luck

Caveboy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Caveboy »

My UK Tesco mobile PAYG and my partners on the same network have both stopped receiving and sending calls and texts,over in the south,no problem at all... I can phone her UK number from my Turkcell phone.

Tesco are useless as per normal,just replying that the account is fine and the problem must be over here....

Anyone alse having the same or similar problems ???

Loobyloo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Loobyloo »

I have an IPhone on EE has worked here no problem for years,now no service have tried all the settings There has to be some issue, problem is how do we find out.

brian24001
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Post by brian24001 »

My UK Vodaphone card works fine here, always had, but then Vodaphone is Telsim.

Given the different cards mentioned, it would seem most likely that Turcell was the partner connection previously? and they have switched off overseas cards?
Try asking Turkcell, or Telsim if they were the shared providers until the disconnect happened.

It maybe to do with the 'unregistered sim cards' being blocked as the providers here will have no record of the overseas sim cards or the user details.
The wife keeps complaining I never listen to a word she says ............. or something like that.

Return to “MOBILE PHONES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”