Advice re smartphone purchase

Advice on using Mobile Phones within the TRNC: SIM Cards, Repairs, cheap calls to UK...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

MoBry
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Advice re smartphone purchase

•   Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Post by MoBry »

I have some friends visiting in November who are willing to bring a smartphone with them and so my query is: what smartphone would people recommend which are low cost? I am not interested in an iPhone or Samsung as I can't afford them, would like an unlocked phone, something like a Lenovo or Huawei or something similar, also with good picture resolution. Does anyone have any suggestions? I did see this one on Ebay and wondered what people thought:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LENOVO-A806-5 ... rkt%3D1%26
It also needs to be unlocked as I shall be using it pre-paid and on Multimax wi-fi.
And also, could this be kept in the general forum for a couple of days before moving to internet section so people can see it. Thank you.
Do your best to grow old disgracefully.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Advice re smartphone purchase

•   Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Hi

Can not advise on a specific phone I am afraid. However I am posting a note of caution. As I understand it the government telecoms regulator has just in the last week or so implemented a new law re the use of mobile phones in trnc that were purchased outside the TRNC. As ever with such things hard definitive information is hard to come by but I believe as of about a week ago any such phone when used with a TRNC sim in the TRNC (turkcell or telsim) will be sent a text message saying the phone must be registered with the regulator or after 90 days use it will be blocked for further use in the TRNC. My understanding is this will not affect such phones already being used in the TRNC as of about a week ago but future ones will be affected. I do know of one person who has received such a text message on a phone bought outside of the TRNC and then used here on a TRNC sim a few days ago.

MoBry
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Post by MoBry »

Thanks, Erol. I did receive a message from Turkcell to register my phone a while back and thought this applied to all phones, not just those purchased overseas. Will have to check it out.

MoBry
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Post by MoBry »

Got a query, Erol - if I use my existing SIM card in a phone bought overseas, how will it be picked up as a foreign phone? Just curious how it works.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Post by erol »

MoBry wrote:Thanks, Erol. I did receive a message from Turkcell to register my phone a while back and thought this applied to all phones, not just those purchased overseas. Will have to check it out.
OK this is two different things

What has been in place for quite a while now, is a requirement to register who is using a given pay as you go sim. So when you buy a new pay as you go sim you get a text message asking you to text back the name and an ID number (kimlik or passport) and the process is relatively easy and is cost free.

The new requirement that seems to have come in in the last week or so (and I stress that this is all to the vest of my knowledge and is surrounded by some uncertainty still) is different. This is not to do with who owns the sim but is to do with the phone itself and I think relates to has it been listed as stolen in another country AND has it had import duties paid if they were due on in when it came into the TRNC. The text message relating to this requires you (again to the best of my knowledge) to physically visit the telecoms regulator in Nicosia. My friend who go this message has not yet done this but the suspicion is that this will then involve some charge to register the phone as ok for use in TRNC beyond 90 days (checking it is not listed as stolen on international databases maybe ?) and possibly question about 'was the phone imported into the TRNC and do you have the import documentation. Like I say much is still not clear re this new requirement, though I suspect over time it will become more clear. It may be I am creating worries unnecessarily and without foundation but it is equally possible that bringing a phone from another country for sustained use in the TRNC on turkcell or telsim networks is now no longer as simple and cost free as historically.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Post by erol »

MoBry wrote:Got a query, Erol - if I use my existing SIM card in a phone bought overseas, how will it be picked up as a foreign phone? Just curious how it works.
All phones have a unique ID number (IMEI number) and the networks (telsim and turkcell) can see what that number is on any phone conected to their networks. One would assume that legit importers of phones into the TRNC now have to register those IEMI numbers with the regulator here. Connections from phones with IMEI numbers not so registered will then get the 'warning text' and threat of blocking after 3 months use.

Again I stress this is to the best of my knowledge atm. All this could be misunderstanding and barking up the wrong tree.

MoBry
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Post by MoBry »

Well, I think I might just hang fire on buying a phone overseas, what a pain! But thanks for taking the time to fill me in on the details. Will save me wasting my money overseas!

Return to “MOBILE PHONES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”