New rules with mobile phones?

Advice on using Mobile Phones within the TRNC: SIM Cards, Repairs, cheap calls to UK...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

topgun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

New rules with mobile phones?

•   Message 1 of 33 in Discussion

Post by topgun »

I have been using my android dual sim phone in the TRNC since August with no problems until Sunday. Then the Turkcell sim card stopped working. I tried rebooting the phone. Cleaning the sim cards. Still no joy with Turkcell but the UK EE sim is working fine. I tried the Turkcell sim in my old phone and it works fine!

Now here is the rub. I took the phone and both sims to the Turkcell booth next to Starling in Lapta. We tried a new sim with no joy. The assistant tried the sim in her phone with success. She then informed me that I have to take my phone to Turkcell in Nicosia to get registered and pay tax on my phone! As anybody heard of this new rule?

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: New rules with mobile phones?

•   Message 2 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Its been in force for a while.

blueparrot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 33 in Discussion

Post by blueparrot »

I have been using my UK-purchased mobile here since March with no problem.

Man at Laconic Computer told me that phones used here before October should be fine. October was the cut-off date.

But if Deniz1 has used phone since August, that cannot be right.

I keep waiting for my phone to stop working...

topgun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 33 in Discussion

Post by topgun »

So what about visitors who purchase a sim card when on holiday. I think my passport visa is stamped as a visitor!
This must be the only country in the world that wants to tax you to use your mobile phone!

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

topgun wrote:So what about visitors who purchase a sim card when on holiday...
It doesn't affect holidaymakers, because you are allowed to use the 'phone for the first 90 days - as you discovered

Heaven
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Heaven »

My husband bought a new phone in England. He needed a different size sim card. We were told we had to register in Lefkosia. As we found out after trying twice, make sure your phone is charged, you must take your passport with you. If you do not do these 2 things you will be sent away. After you have filled the form out, you then have to go to customs in Girne to pay duty! Think it cost my husband 30 tl. Good luck!

topgun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 33 in Discussion

Post by topgun »

Thank you Heaven for your reply. My wife returned from the UK yesterday. Her phone worked in Istanbul however after landing in Ercan it too was blocked.
So can you please advise us on where we register and where we pay duty?

topgun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 33 in Discussion

Post by topgun »

It doesn't affect holidaymakers, because you are allowed to use the 'phone for the first 90 days - as you discovered
Keithcaley you are wrong as I have checked my movements to and from the UK. I was only in the TRNC for 76 days when my phone was blocked!

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 33 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

[quote="Keithcaley you are wrong as I have checked my movements to and from the UK. I was only in the TRNC for 76 days when my phone was blocked![/quote]
Keith wrong never
recently I did not want to use my current phone and switched the phone to a really old Nokia one and been told it will be blocked, even though the card and phone used to be one but not used in the survey period therefore it is classed as a new phone. Maybe you were using card and phone in the registered time but not survey time and now the 90 days are up. The way they think here they will look at the visitors come here once or swallows have to register their phones and pay tax, some were lucky and visiting in the survey period and theirs were registered.
I am sure soon it will be clear why some people are ok and others aren't

rocking
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 33 in Discussion

Post by rocking »

Have a Apple iPhone with Turk ell SIM card, if I purchase another Apple phone in Uk xmas can I just insert same SIM card without all this nonsense of registering.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 33 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

rocking wrote:Have a Apple iPhone with Turk ell SIM card, if I purchase another Apple phone in Uk xmas can I just insert same SIM card without all this nonsense of registering.
From what I gathered and I am relying on the Man's English than my Turkish, phones now have to be bought here, shop should register or tax paid , they give you 90 days to register. The problem seems to be, is this 90 days limited to ever or 1 year etc? hence why some people are getting blocked on their second 'holiday visit' to the island. When my registered card went into the 'old' phone due to the fact the phone had not been used for 12 months it was not registered, the text came to say I had 90 days, with a keypad I can't even see, sorry but no tax not even the 10tl mentioned I just put the sim back in the phone it has been in for a year and keeping on vibrate , the speaker is faulty therefore tones are hit and miss hence why I thought I would use the old phone..

IPMAN
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 33 in Discussion

Post by IPMAN »

Rocking - I am in the same situation as you describe - just bought the wife a new phone from the UK, as soon as it was switched on with her original sim of several years we got a text about the registration! So you will have to register the new one and pay the duty.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 13 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

IPMAN wrote:Rocking - I am in the same situation as you describe - just bought the wife a new phone from the UK, as soon as it was switched on with her original sim of several years we got a text about the registration! So you will have to register the new one and pay the duty.
You should have bought her a Frock! - Or better still, a Dishwasher! Image

rocking
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 33 in Discussion

Post by rocking »

Sod it, thought I had not to pay the tax!!!!

Juliamoons
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Juliamoons »

Got 2 new mobiles coming. Can anyone tell me how much the tax is. And is it a standard charge or does it varie on which make of phone it is? Regards

IPMAN
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 33 in Discussion

Post by IPMAN »

Apparently they have a list with all the mobile phones on - I am going next week so will report the experience back - whats the phones you have and i will look at the list.

Juliamoons
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Juliamoons »

Cubot Note S and thank you

barebraes
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 33 in Discussion

Post by barebraes »

Further to this thread can anyone confirm this info please?

My phone was blocked and as it was a really cheap and basic phone I bought before leaving uk I decided to go to Telsim and look at buying a new phone on contract from there. I was told that I could not buy a new phone until I had been using a sim for a year, so I am having to go to register another phone that I brought with me tomorrow.

Maybe I am missing something but if you are not allowed to buy a phone here for a year and you bring in a phone and its blocked how do you get a phone to put a sim in for the year until they let you buy a new one unless you fly home and bring in another one.

confused

judyvin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 33 in Discussion

Post by judyvin »

Ipman does the list say how much tax is due on a samsung S5? Thanks

IPMAN
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 33 in Discussion

Post by IPMAN »

Judy Vin - not sure - we went to Lefkosia on Thursday and it was chaos! like leaving a football ground in the old days of standing, there must have been over a hundred students there. all trying to get through a little door! Took us over an hour get to the desk. here you pay the registration of around 30TL. then you are meant to go through another door to the customs room - but this had closed by the time we got the first bit sorted! The good news is you can do the customs bit in the new harbour in Kyrenia! we have yet to do this - it maybe better to go first thing in the morning when all the students are in bed!

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

Surely the easiest way is to buy a phone here in North Cyprus. Why does everything have to be bought in the UK to be used here? Support North Cyprus if you live here or own property here. A phone is easy to buy from any phone shop although as someone said you will not necessarily get a contract but PAYG is no problem.

judyvin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 33 in Discussion

Post by judyvin »

It's all very well to say buy one here but I already own a Samsung S5 and have been using it for the last few years. However it hasn't been used since September because i had the Sim in another phone and that works fine but when i chanhedbit back again it no longer works!

Spiceisnice
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Spiceisnice »

Keithcaley

I am not convinced that your wife is the only person to use a dishwasher in your house! I bet she never saw your comment on here did she? x

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 33 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

Laura B, there are posters on this forum who do not come from the UK. They probably bought their mobiles in their country of residence and are now subject to the TRNC mobile taxation ruling when using them here. I know of one Cypriot who bought a mobile in Turkey whilst on a visit to family there and has been hit with a huge taxation value.

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

Tom Steel. My reference to the UK was merely because without exception the only people posting on this thread were talking about phones from the UK. So far as any phones bought from anywhere other than TRNC are concerned my argument is the same. Buy here. If I want to buy a car I buy it here or have to import it and pay tax. The same applies to phones and the higher value models of either will incur more tax than basic models.

tingtang
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 33 in Discussion

Post by tingtang »

As a matter of interest - has this subject been covered by the board 'News From The Presidents Office (posted here regularly by Sonar) which would be the logical place to obtain the definitive information?.

There have been so many posts on that board it would be a weary chore to search the entire last 6/9/12 months or whatever on there. Perhaps someone who has could precis' the 'what and why'.

In my own case, after using the same mobile for the past 10 years suddenly 'cut off' it was less hassle to buy a new phone for 100tl than travel over from the east coast, locate the Gv't office , queue for who knows how long and then be charged a fee, the amount of which Turkcell could not advise!!.

Despite Laura's cheerleading 'to buy in the TRNC' - I doubt that she would be quite so 'gung-ho' had she recently arrived here permanently from UK, or any place abroad, bringing the latest singing and dancing Iphone/Samsung with her.

tt.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

Well if I had been fortunate enough to arrive with an all-singing all-dancing phone I would have paid the tax and got on with it. Gung-ho I am not.

Sid447
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Sid447 »

I have the same problem,

I bought my phones from the UAE where they are about half the price of the same type or model here.

I visit TRNC for a few weeks every two months and have been doing so since buying a house here some eight years ago.
Had been using the same phone for the last eighteen months without a problem.

I remember registering my sim cards about a year ago when I received an sms to provide my passport number and full name.
Then in November 2016, two days before I returned to work I received another sms from Turkcell mentioning my phone being shutdown in seven days as the IMEE wasn't recognised.

All well and good saying ''Buy one here;'' that assumes everyone ''lives in the same box.''

Never come across anything like this before. It gives the impression that it's a money collecting scheme.

Sid447
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Sid447 »

Registered my phone yesterday,

Not the easiest place to find parking, but it wasn't too busy at around 10:30.
Once in the 3rd floor office you are given a form to fill out (passport name and number, phone model and IMEE number). They were very pleasant and quite helpful.
They use the phone to dial a combination into it to show the IMEE and this must agree with the IMEE on the actual phone or they will reject the application: One guy had this happen who must have had either a repaired phone or a dodgy one.

Once the form was handed over the counter and the small fee paid (14 YTL, by debit or credit card only) they quickly processed it and handed it back with a receipt and was then advised to go to the Customs building some 50 metres away.

Here they once again check the phone and your passport and request you pay 30% of the TRNC value of the phone you are registering in cash.

SS.

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

So far as I am aware any phone brought into KKTC before April 2016 will have been registered automatically.

The same thing happens in Turkey. Any foreign phone has to be registered on the owners passport with an entry stamp in the previous three months I think it is, and only one phone in a period of two years, also the tax has to be paid. Before this was brought in every bar boy and waiter were asking guests for their mobile phones saying they were unable to buy them in TR and then immediately selling them to the second hand phone shops making a very nice profit.

karmels
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 33 in Discussion

Post by karmels »

If you type in on you phone key board, Star, Hash, 06 Hash. it will give you the IMIE number.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves. Confucius 551-479 BC

jayceebee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 33 in Discussion

Post by jayceebee »

karmels wrote:If you type in on you phone key board, Star, Hash, 06 Hash. it will give you the IMIE number.
I did this and get two numbers!

I have had a message from BTHK about only one of these.

Does this mean anything? Phone has two slots for sim cards.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 33 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

jayceebee wrote:
karmels wrote:If you type in on you phone key board, Star, Hash, 06 Hash. it will give you the IMIE number.
I did this and get two numbers!

I have had a message from BTHK about only one of these.

Does this mean anything? Phone has two slots for sim cards.
I have a dual sim phone and bought the phone here but turkcell only recorded one Imei number, the other I registered at no cost. You will see your phone no in the info on the message they are sending you. And if you ring the number they speak very good english

Return to “MOBILE PHONES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”