Registration and Tax on mobile phones

Advice on using Mobile Phones within the TRNC: SIM Cards, Repairs, cheap calls to UK...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

ifonly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Registration and Tax on mobile phones

•   Message 1 of 4 in Discussion

Post by ifonly »

Have i understood this correctly --
If i buy a new/2nd hand iphone when i am in the UK i need to register it , and pay import tax on it, before i can use it in TRNC ? If i do not do that then, despite having a TRNC sim/monthly contract, it will not work here.
If so and we can only use phones that are registered here - my current one is - what happens if my phone breaks and i want to use an old spare one that i have in the cupboard - i have only registered the one i am using now.
Or does this only apply to pay as you go phones ?
Confused !!!!

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Registration and Tax on mobile phones

•   Message 2 of 4 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

Recently I needed to use my old phone and within 24 hours I had received the text stating the phone was not registered and I had 90 days therefore if the phone is not bought here yes you have to pay tax or if it was not in use when they did their survey

terry2366
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 4 in Discussion

Post by terry2366 »

I have a similar problem my iPhone 5 has suffered a problem with the battery swelling and breaking the case. Apple have said they will change it for free I checked with my contract here and was told to get a letter from Apple stating they were replacing a faulty handset and I would not have to pay tax on it when registering .

terry2366
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 4 in Discussion

Post by terry2366 »

Following on from they that that refused the letter but only charged me 60ytl

Return to “MOBILE PHONES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”