Bringing a brand new phone into TRNC

Advice on using Mobile Phones within the TRNC: SIM Cards, Repairs, cheap calls to UK...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Bringing a brand new phone into TRNC

•   Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

A friend of mine is going back to UK next week and is going to buy herself a new phone (what she has now is prehistoric) Her neighbour told her yesterday that as from Monday, not only do you have to take the phone to Turkcell or Telsim to register it, she will have to pay customs import duty on it, which will negate any savings she makes by buying from a UK company. I haven't read or heard anything about this and I would like to replay back the facts to my friend the actual facts, as I think she has been misinformed. I am not sure she would get the truth out of any shop here, as obviously they would prefer you to buy expensive phones over here. Any help would be appreciated.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Bringing a brand new phone into TRNC

•   Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

There have been several posts recently on this subject. Basically, if you import a mobile from anywhere, it is subject to tax. The amount depends upon the value of the 'phone itself/model type etc. An earlier post detailed two separate offices in Lefkösa where different payments are made. There is, also, an article on this subject on page 3 of the Cyprus Today newspaper dated 10 Dec '16.

Your friend may consider buying a 2nd hand smart 'phone here where taxes etc have already been cleared.

karmels
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Post by karmels »

This law has been in place for over a month now. It costs 15 TL at one office in Lefcosia to register the phone then off to Gumruk ( customs ) to pay the import duty, a new Samsung s 6 will be about 400 TL duty.
I have had to jump through thier hoops to register my phone I purchased in Turkey.
On arrival in Cyprus the moment you put a local sim card in the phone it will be locked till the dues are payed. You will need to take all the paper work back to your provider 9 Telim Or Turksell then it will yake a week for then to switch the phone on.
To be quite honest I would buy your new pnone here.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves. Confucius 551-479 BC

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

We have been using Turkcell pay-as-you-go sims here for the past twelve years. Got a message today to say we must register our smartphones within 45 days or we will be cut off. I know where the office to go to first is, just before the one-way system in Lefkosa, but where is the Turkcell office I'd need to visit afterwards? Pardon my ignorance but we are pretty basic when it comes to this stuff.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Thanks for your replies. it hasn't been any concern of mine hence I hadn't a clue about the new rules and regulations. I suspect my friend will now be on the look out for a half way decent second hand smart phone of any make. Selling on second hand phones is going to be a lucrative business methinks.

ifonly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Post by ifonly »

According to C2T the 30% tax is going to be paid on a figure already determined by the authorities. They have a 50 page list of phone valuations and the taxes will be based on 2nd hand value - but that is 2nd hand here in TRNC !!!. As an example they have set the following valuations of which you will pay 30% - ;
1200TL for a 2nd hand iphone 6s and 2400TL for a 2nd hand iphone 7. A brand new iphone 7 here, to buy, is 3000TL

I asked Turkcell rep -- I have an existing registered iphone 4. If i buy a new phone (either brand new here or from UK) and have it registered (and pay tax if UK phone) - can i then sell my old one to someone here and they will be able to use it with no further paperwork/tax. His replied that he wasn't sure but the purchaser of my old one may have to pay to get it re - registered to their own sim.
He also thought that even if i produced a receipt for 2nd hand iphone 6 from UK that was considerably less than 1200TL equivalent i would still have to pay 30% tax on the TRNC value of 1200 TL .

Munchkin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Munchkin »

Another way to rip expats off probably dreamt up by Talat ? I for one am thoroughly sick of all this expat bashing and I can't wait to get out of Cyprus.

Bernie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Bernie »

Munchin,

Get off your high horse please and stop playing the 'Expats are being caught again' syndrome!!

Everyone is being taxed on importing phones not just expats as are my TC friends , they too are being caught out by this new tax law.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Bernie, I'd go further and suggest that it's about time that they got their act together and cracked down on people who import expensive luxury items such as 'phones and evade tax by not declaring them, thereby robbing the Tax authorities and the rest of us 'Honest Folk'!

I'm only joking, but if TRNC ever does become a functional part of the EU, then all the other little illegalities with which we are allowed to 'get away' (pirated DVD's etc.) will become a thing of the past...

If it's the lawless Wild West character of TRNC that attracted Munchkin, then perhaps it is time for him to go.

Return to “MOBILE PHONES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”