Registered our UK mobile today

Advice on using Mobile Phones within the TRNC: SIM Cards, Repairs, cheap calls to UK...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

ifonly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Registered our UK mobile today

•   Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

Post by ifonly »

Hi
OH had been given a Samsung Galaxy 7 edge as a birthday present, a couple of months ago, when we were back in UK on weeks holiday. Lovely gift but we were so worried about the registration here and subsequent amount of import duty ! Despite looking there didn't really seem to be any up to date info especially re the amount payable so I thought I would share our experience.
We went to Turkcell a couple of months ago to have the new micro sim inserted - they told us we need to register the phone and pay tax within 90 days - we also received a text message to that effect.
Kept putting it off as we thought it was going to be very expensive and sort of soured the gift. But today we finally did it !!!
We went into Girne New Harbour Customs and asked them for a rough idea on how much the tax would be - he asked if it was "New" or "Aged" - we said it had been a gift and was now a couple of months old. "Aged " he decided .... out came his book and he said " value 900TL - tax 270TL" but because we had not yet been to the telecom office in Lefcosa we couldn't pay it.
Still put it off thinking they will decide it is new and we will be paying double that or more.
OH went to Lefcosa today (good directions on here on another thread) - took 2 tickets - one for the registration and 1 for tax payable. The registration (had to complete a form, show the IEMI !!! number, show passport) was 14.09TL (he didn't have a card so cash was accepted) Form amended to show Edge as OH had not included that, form signed and stamped then he had to wait for his number for the tax. Short while later he gave the form to the taxable lady - she never asked any questions just pulled out a book and said "270 TL please". OH paid up and was given another completed form/receipt which she explained needed to be taken to any Turkcell shop. "Thank you very much and have a nice day" she said as he left the office.
He went to Turkcell who looked at the tax [aid completed receipt/form and filled out their own form (had to show passport again) charged him 6TL and said "Thank you very much Goodbye". A couple of hours later he received a long text message - in Turkish but we assume (because it includes the IEMI !!! number) that it means that phone will not be disconnected after the original 90 days .
All in all not as painful nor expensive as we had thought. I hope this helps others but if worried about the cost maybe just pop into the Girne (New Harbour) Customs and ask them for the valuation and amount payable.
Its my Birthday soon ..... am I ever hopefull !!!!

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Registered our UK mobile today

•   Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

So Turkcell have decided that it's a nice little earner too. We didn't have to pay them anything when we registered at the beginning of the year.

PapaBravo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Post by PapaBravo »

OH went to Lefcosa today (good directions on here on another thread) - took 2 tickets
Excuse my ignorance, but what tickets are you referring to?

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

It sounds like they've introduced a ticketing system when you queue up. Good idea, means you're not on your feet all the time and can go for a quick coffee before your number comes up. But I may be wrong!

ifonly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Post by ifonly »

Sorry Papabravo - yes you get a numbered ticket - 1 is for the registration and the other is for the payment. Some people just took the one for registration then when they had done that they took the one for payment - OH just took the 2 at the beginning.

PapaBravo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Post by PapaBravo »

Thanks ifonly, I understand now.

Return to “MOBILE PHONES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”