Unlocking & registering a Samsung Galaxy S7

Advice on using Mobile Phones within the TRNC: SIM Cards, Repairs, cheap calls to UK...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

judyvin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Unlocking & registering a Samsung Galaxy S7

•   Message 1 of 25 in Discussion

Post by judyvin »

Can anyone recommend someone to unlock my phone and did I read sonewhere that phones can now be registered in Girne? Anyone registered an S7 and can advise how much it will cost? Many thanks.

turtle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Unlocking & registering a Samsung Galaxy S7

•   Message 2 of 25 in Discussion

Post by turtle »

Why is it locked ?

You could try this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARcIYtHkj6w

judyvin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 25 in Discussion

Post by judyvin »

Thank you Turtle. It is locked to a UK Network and I want to use it with my Turkcell Sim.
I have tried your link but am reluctant to spend $49.50 in case it doesn't work. Have you used this company before to unlock a phone?

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 25 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

There is someone I understand in Girne (who doesn't have a name) that can do it. I sold a phone to someone who was prepared to pay out when I wasn't, and he charged about the same but in Euro I believe. Would appear it doesn't come cheap and I don't know if he still does it.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

There is information on unlocking handsets on OfCom's website which may be useful - read the part entitled How do I get my handset unlocked?

Heaven
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Heaven »

You are supposed to go to the office in lefkosa, with your passport. You get the phone registered, then go to customs at the harbor in Girne to pay duty on your phone, then you can go to your service provider for sim card to work. This is assuming you bought your phone in the UK.

judyvin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 25 in Discussion

Post by judyvin »

Thank you. Looks like a trip to Lefkosia but I was rather hoping that you could now register the phone in Girne.
I have at least successfully unlocked the phone and it will now accept a Turkcell sim. I enquired in town and was quoted 200 tl but decided to buy a code via ebay and that worked perfectly for £9.98.

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 25 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

Heaven wrote:You are supposed to go to the office in lefkosa, with your passport. You get the phone registered, then go to customs at the harbor in Girne to pay duty on your phone, then you can go to your service provider for sim card to work. This is assuming you bought your phone in the UK.
I've registered two phones so far this year in Lefkosa. Customs duty is paid in the same single storey building as registration payment. Registration and customs' rooms are less than 20m apart. Payments made by card not cash. All done in under 30 mins. Keep the paperwork.
libens volens potens

ifonly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 25 in Discussion

Post by ifonly »

Last May/June we registered and paid the tax on a Galaxy s7 edge - i cannot remember exactly but i am pretty sure it was 240TL for the tax.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 25 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

You're lucky you don't have a top of the range iPhone. I know someone who has and he was asked to pay in the region of 1000tl tax.

ifonly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 25 in Discussion

Post by ifonly »

Sophie - the Samsung Galaxy 7 was the top of the range smart phone - it was only 2 months old and was the very latest model then. So 240 TL was pretty good for a phone that cost £650 ( it was a b'day present - a very nice b'day present !!!)

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 25 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Just goes to show how much the bods who pick these figures out of the air, rate the most expensive iPhone above a Samsung G7, If I'm honest I'm not keen on either - I suspect it depends on what make you've always been used to.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 13 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

ifonly, I thought gifts (birthday presents) were exempt from TRNC tax.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Do you have to register a pay as you go phone that was bought in TRNC?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 15 of 25 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Deniz1 wrote:Do you have to register a pay as you go phone that was bought in TRNC?
No not the phone, if it was bought in the TRNC from someone who has already covered the necessary import duties. A pay as you go sim does, as I understand it, require you to provide an 'ID' - name and kimlik card number or passport number. These can be provided by sms message to the network operator and there is no charge to do this.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Thank you Erol friends have two phones and as they are in their eighties they want a simple solution.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

sophie wrote:You're lucky you don't have a top of the range iPhone. I know someone who has and he was asked to pay in the region of 1000tl tax.
*gulp*

I’m starting to wonder if it will be worth me just buying a cheap mobile from a shop in TRNC rather than getting my iPhone 7 registered. If I did that, would I still need to go to Lefkosa and register it?

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

From the research I have done it would appear that the price of new Apple i phones are no dearer in the TRNC than elsewhere, with the added bonus of not having to pay the tax.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 25 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Interesting Mr Chinnery, but not too surprising. I hadn't checked out the price of an iPhone here, as it would be wasted on me, but did check out the price of iPads and Macbook a while back. A little more expensive here than UK, at the time, but not enough to warrant a trip back to the UK.

My Windows phone will need replacing at some point, but it's hanging on in there at the moment. Can't get Skype on it any longer, if WhatsApp goes too, then will be the time to get a new phone. Am just intending buying a budget phone here, and from what I can gather, if you buy here, there is no need to pay the tax and go faffing about to Lefkosa and Girne to register.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

alphamike wrote:Am just intending buying a budget phone here, and from what I can gather, if you buy here, there is no need to pay the tax and go faffing about to Lefkosa and Girne to register.
Good to hear. I think I will just do that then and continue to use my UK vodaphone SIM card in my iPhone.

Next question... where is the best place to get a cheap as chips mobile phone in North Cyprus?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 21 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

I think that Laconic stock a couple of 'Feature Phones' (not smartphones), and prices were hovering around 100TL or so, although may be more now, due to the exchange rate.

Also most of the 'phone shops will have a selection of new and second hand 'phones - you could look down Canbulat Sokak where there are loads of 'phone shops - it's a bit further on from the Round Tower, heading downhill away from Girne Belediyesi.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Keithcaley wrote:I think that Laconic stock a couple of 'Feature Phones' (not smartphones), and prices were hovering around 100TL or so, although may be more now, due to the exchange rate.

Also most of the 'phone shops will have a selection of new and second hand 'phones - you could look down Canbulat Sokak where there are loads of 'phone shops - it's a bit further on from the Round Tower, heading downhill away from Girne Belediyesi.
Thanks Keith. I will pop down that way when I get to North Cyprus later this month.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 25 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Thanks from me too Keith. Now, I know that I've been in Laconic, but I'm having trouble remembering where it is. Can you give my memory a prod please?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 24 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

One in Alsancak near to Aydın Eczanesi (Lapta / Alsancak border) and one not far from the Extend office on the Girne Ring Road (Semih Sancar Caddesi)

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 25 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Thank you very much, memory refreshed. Was the one near to Extend that I've been in.

Return to “MOBILE PHONES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”