Phone registration

Advice on using Mobile Phones within the TRNC: SIM Cards, Repairs, cheap calls to UK...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Hammerhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Phone registration

•   Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Hammerhead »

I registered my pay as you go cell phone when I purchased it at the phone shop in girne 3 years ago and today when making a call a recorded message tells me I have to register my phone by 7th November, is this correct ?

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Phone registration

•   Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

This thread has a number of comments about this message - hope it helps. It appears to affect those with a Turkcell (and Telsim?) sim in their phone; I have a UK Vodafone and registered the phone (using IMEI number) online 3-4 years ago. This was not registering the sim card, and I am still able to use the phone without problems, and without the message that is mentioned.

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

Yes, you need to register the SIM. it appears to be only Turkcell pay as you go SIMs. See my post on this https://www.kibkomnorthcyprusforum.com/ ... 05#p240905

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Did put a new sim in my phone a week or two ago and registered it in the shop. I've gotten mortgages signing less paperwork

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

We also have just had the recorded message to register our mobiles having bought the mobile phones here 2-3 years ago in Lemar and duly registered them. Is this a cock-up? (not that such things happen here of course)

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Hector wrote:We also have just had the recorded message to register our mobiles having bought the mobile phones here 2-3 years ago in Lemar and duly registered them. Is this a cock-up? (not that such things happen here of course)
Afraid not. It's a new thing that prepaid sims must be registered.

https://www.kibrisgazetesi.com/kibris/f ... 76205.html
Google translation:-
In accordance with the Electronic Communication (Amendment) Law, it is announced that the prepaid line users should apply to the communication provider with which they receive a copy of their identity or passport documents by 7 November at the latest and sign a subscription agreement. According to information provided by the Information and Communication Technologies Authority, the subject regulation covers not only prepaid mobile line users, but also all prepaid subscriptions in the industry, including internet subscription used at home or at work. The statement stated that from now on, it is obligatory to make a contract for all subscriptions regardless of whether they are postpaid or not, and for old subscriptions it is obligatory to make a subscription agreement by obtaining an identity or passport document. The statement also stated that according to the law, the prepaid line users who do not have a contract will be closed by the communication providers as of November 07, and that consumers should be aware of the contract by reaching the communication provider until the specified date. The statement included the following statements: Üzere As it is known, there was no obligation to make a contract for prepaid line users before the change. In line with the needs arising from the developing technology and the regulations made to protect the interests of consumers, the prepaid line subscriptions have been put into practice by obtaining an identity document just like the postpaid subscriptions. ”

justsayin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Post by justsayin »

This is sooooo frustrating!!!!! We both took our passports in years ago. Why again????!!!! They even send you a 'happy birthday' message. So they have the information. We've both received messages yesterday and today. Also have had a voicemail when trying to make calls today. No doubt we're paying to listen to them before connecting to our calls grrrrr...... So not happy.

Hammerhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Hammerhead »

Murphy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Murphy »

We came back to the UK 2 weeks ago and not due back until January. How can I register the sim before the deadline.
We don’t want to bother any of our friends, asking to register it for us.

Return to “MOBILE PHONES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”